LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

GEEK's First Rough Mock

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Don't worry, I won't regain my mock fetish like last year. This is a plan in which I think would fill the 49ers needs the fastest without overpaying in free agency.

Main Resignings -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 3 year
Dre Bly - CB - 2 year

Main Free Agent Signings -

Leon Washington - RB - NY Jets
*Raye's familiarity with him, as well as an offense that "attacks" through the ground first, Washington is certainly a worth of spot to split carries with Gore. Washington is a great PR/KR guy, too.

Stephen Neal - OG - Patriots
*Neal is a seasoned veteran that would be an upgrade at OG, letting Baas walk. Neal is a Cali native as well.

Shawne Merriman - LB - Chargers
*He should be had for a reasonable rate on the free agency market. I doubt the Chargers find a viable trading partner, and I don't think they are in a position to slap the franchise tag on him. Manusky connection here.

Khalif Barnes - OT - Raiders
*Barnes gained fairly large interest last year for teams that were looking for LTs. Now recovered from an injury in pre-season, Barnes may see some starts this season. He'll likely leave Oakland in the off-season, and he'll be a relatively cheap depth signing.

NFL Draft -

R1: Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma

R1: Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho *Credit OTC and Mad Dog for this pick*

R2: Jacoby Ford - WR/RB/KR - Clemson

R3: Myron Rolle - S - Florida State

R4: O'Brien Schofield - LB/DE - Wisconsin

Depth Chart -

QB: Hill/Smith/Davis
RB: Gore/Washington*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker

WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Jones/Ford*
WR: Morgan

LT: Staley/Barnes*
LG: Iupati*
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Neal*/Rachal
RT: Williams*/Snyder

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/RJF
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Merriman*/Lawson
ILB: Willis/Schofield*
ILB: Spikes/McKillop
OLB: Haralson/Brooks

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Bly
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Rolle*/Taylor

K: Nedney
P: Lee
LS: Jennings
No way taking an OG in the 1st rd. Khalif Barnes? LOL we'd better off signing Jonas Jennings. Im not sure Merriman has much left.
not bad. addresses the dire need at the oline. dunno if we get washington tho, i see the team giving more time to coffee. also, if the o line is upgraded and performs better, coffee and hill will be much better.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
No way taking an OG in the 1st rd. Khalif Barnes? LOL we'd better off signing Jonas Jennings. Im not sure Merriman has much left.

With 2 first round draft picks, and serious needs along the offensive line, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to draft an OG in the first round.

Great rushing teams have legit offensive guards.

Hutch in MN, Snee in NY, Smiley in MIA, Evans in NO
Merriman will be overpriced and not worth what he has in the tank now that he isn't on the juice. Why in the world would we get Neal then draft a OG in the 1st, makes ZERO sense to give up on Rachal when he is such a punishing Run blocker and simply needs technique work to not be so bad in pass protection (another year and more coaching will fix that problem, see Snee when he came into the league in protection). Doesn't address the immense need at SS. There is a lot more but I am not trying to be a dick, so Overall I would be very upset if this was our offseason.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Merriman will be overpriced and not worth what he has in the tank now that he isn't on the juice. Why in the world would we get Neal then draft a OG in the 1st, makes ZERO sense to give up on Rachal when he is such a punishing Run blocker and simply needs technique work to not be so bad in pass protection (another year and more coaching will fix that problem, see Snee when he came into the league in protection). Doesn't address the immense need at SS. There is a lot more but I am not trying to be a dick, so Overall I would be very upset if this was our offseason.

Rip it up bro. I want to hear your constructive insights :-)
First - I love mock drafts and I like what you did in general.

Obviously, its hard to say if Williams and lupati will be good picks without first knowing where we will be drafting, but I don't want Williams with a top ten selection. I do not mind taking lupati late in the first though.

I really love the fact that you concentrated on the OL, but I don't like Barnes. The rest of the FA crop is awesome, which is probably why I find myself doubting it could happen.

And I would prefer to get a top QB prospect or some real help at S, too. But I realize that may not be realistic either.
I like it, except for two things:

1. No Merriman. I don't want him anywhere near this team, we'd have to pay too much for this average player.

2. No Jacoby Ford. I am so tired of drafting mid-round hybrid WRs who sit on the bench. We have enough WRs as it is, let's just have a draft where we don't draft a WR for once.
If we picked Neal up in free agency, then there's no need to draft Iupati and vice versa. Might as well just pick one. The same goes with Trent Williams and Barnes. Might as well pick one.
Favorite picks are Schofield and Iupati, of course.

Schofield has lit the world on fire statistically. Leads the nation in Tackles for Loss. One thing I would like us to find is a pass-rusher who at the very least has the quality of having a relentless motor. Having agility would be nice too.

Haralson and Lawson both get worn out towards the end it seems and neither are particularly agile, though Lawson isn't too bad.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 29, 2009 at 14:22:41 ]

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Favorite picks are Schofield and Lupati, of course.

Schofield has lit the world on fire statistically. Leads the nation in Tackles for Loss. One thing I would like us to find is a pass-rusher who at the very least has the quality of having a relentless motor. Having agility would be nice too.

Haralson and Lawson both get worn out towards the end it seems and neither are particularly agile, though Lawson isn't too bad.

Jermaine Cunningham OLB Florida is the guy u are looking for
No Taylor Mays or Eric Berry.

No QB.

[ Edited by DarthNiner on Oct 15, 2009 at 20:14:27 ]
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Favorite picks are Schofield and Lupati, of course.

Jermaine Cunningham OLB Florida is the guy u are looking for

Just hasn't played as well as I would have hoped this year. I'm concerned about his ability to take on linemen as he does not possess a great deal of power in either the upper or lower body, and seemingly never consistently generates leverage.

One of the only guys who I'm seeing do all these things is Eric Norwood. Violent hand battler, non-stop motor, powerful hitter, fast, agile, can cover as well as speed rush and bull-rush. The guy is tenacious and a first day talent unquestionably. Yeah he's barely 6-0, but I sure hope the 49ers don't throw him out of consideration just because of that.

One other possibility is Junior OLB Prospect Von Miller (Texas A&M), but we'll see what happens. The draft is far, far away right now.
hill starting again lol

I like the Rolle pick a lot
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
No Taylor Mays or Eric Berry.

No QB.

He picked Rolle, who I think would have been a 1st rounder if he didnt continue his education.

I dont think he last till the 3rd round, well, i guess it depends on the combine numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone