Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Berry ?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Dashon Goldson has impressed and if he stays healthy, he will man the FS position. I'm not sure about Michael Lewis' contract, but isn't this his last year? If so, then we can draft Eric Berry to play SS for us. Either way, if he's available when we pick, we can't pass on him.

After watching Berry get "truck sticked" by Tebow I have two words:

TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Taylor Mays worries me in the sense that I could see him being like Roy Williams.

Eric Barry is a beast.

Seriously?? Roy Williams is SLOW! If we needed a FS then Berry is a good choice but we don't. we need a SS.

Eric Berry can play both FS and SS. He's a tackling machine and often makes plays on bigger running backs. The assessment on Taylor Mays seems true so far this season. He's looked a little slower. Yes he can get the hits, but it's still up in the air whether or not he can cover and get the INT.

SLOWER?? so does that mean he runs a 4.38 instead of a 4.25? I listened to him on the radio before the season and he said he ran the 4.25 2 years ago and he says he faster now! We need a Adrian Wilson, Loran Landry type of safety.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Dashon Goldson has impressed and if he stays healthy, he will man the FS position. I'm not sure about Michael Lewis' contract, but isn't this his last year? If so, then we can draft Eric Berry to play SS for us. Either way, if he's available when we pick, we can't pass on him.

After watching Berry get "truck sticked" by Tebow I have two words:

TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Taylor Mays worries me in the sense that I could see him being like Roy Williams.

Eric Barry is a beast.

Seriously?? Roy Williams is SLOW! If we needed a FS then Berry is a good choice but we don't. we need a SS.

Eric Berry can play both FS and SS. He's a tackling machine and often makes plays on bigger running backs. The assessment on Taylor Mays seems true so far this season. He's looked a little slower. Yes he can get the hits, but it's still up in the air whether or not he can cover and get the INT.

SLOWER?? so does that mean he runs a 4.38 instead of a 4.25? I listened to him on the radio before the season and he said he ran the 4.25 2 years ago and he says he faster now! We need a Adrian Wilson, Loran Landry type of safety.

USC's track is different than the track time at the Combine. AJ Hawk ran a much quicker time in his pro day at Ohio State than he did at the Combine. What I'm saying is that you can't believe everything you hear. Crabtree says he can run a 4.4. Do you believe him? Plus, straight line speed is overrated. How about watching his speed on the field. This season so far, hasn't been impressive.

Oh, if you're so infatuated with getting a safety that can hit, watch some of Eric Berry. He can hit.
only usc homers want us to take freaking mays. everyone else knows outside of the usc world that berry hands down is the better safety that does it ALL, commits turnovers, hits and covers. mays is questionable on all other aspects but hitting which all he does and looks for. like i said before i'll be 1 pissed off dude if we were to waste a 1st rd pick on a safety not named eric berry.
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
only usc homers want us to take freaking mays. everyone else knows outside of the usc world that BERRY hands down is the better safety that does it ALL, commits turnovers, hits and covers. mays is questionable on all other aspects but hitting which all he does and looks for. like i said before i'll be 1 pissed off dude if we were to waste a 1st rd pick on a safety not named eric berry.

Fixed
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
only usc homers want us to take freaking mays. everyone else knows outside of the usc world that BERRY hands down is the better safety that does it ALL, commits turnovers, hits and covers. mays is questionable on all other aspects but hitting which all he does and looks for. like i said before i'll be 1 pissed off dude if we were to waste a 1st rd pick on a safety not named eric berry.

Fixed

LOL thanks my HUGE bad

Goldson already has more interceptions that roman had the last 2 years. He gets one more and he will match romans career numbers...haha, jk
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
There is no denying how good Eric Berry is and the bright future that is in front of him however this is very reminiscent of how the board felt about Michael Crabtree after his freshman year and his sophomore year. However as things got clearer and we realized we would not be in a position to draft him people still talked very highly of him and some hoped we would trade up or somehow magically he fell to us.

That being said you guys better say your prayers (and take your vitamins) that the same does not happen with Berry and he takes the same approach to being paid out of slot because you will be forced to come up with derogatory nicknames and talk about how much of a greedy selfish a*****e he is and what a diva he is and everything negative that goes along with it.

Just sayin'

I would love to end up with Berry and it has nothing to do with need or the position he can play. He is simply a great football player.
I'd be happy with Mays or Berry. I'd prefer Berry, but he will be the 1st one off the board and I doubt we get the oppurtunity to draft him.

The Panther's pick has potential to be high, but let's he honest here they're not half as bad as Cleveland, Oakland, Detroit, St Louis or Kansas City. They're going to find a way to scratch enough wins to get to the 5-10 pick range.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM ]
I'd be upset with Mays.

So let me get this straight, Berry would be FS for sure? Can Goldson play SS?
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd be upset with Mays.

Berry can play both positions. Enough range to play FS, great tackling and strength to play SS.
I'd be upset with Mays.

Berry can play both positions. Enough range to play FS, great tackling and strength to play SS.

but what position would best utilize his talents
Originally posted by valrod33:
I'd be upset with Mays.

Probably FS just because he has such a ball hawk mentality. But I really do see a lot of Ed Reed in him.
I'd be upset with Mays.

Probably FS just because he has such a ball hawk mentality. But I really do see a lot of Ed Reed in him.

ok so what do we do with Goldson can he play SS, Lewis has another year or 2 left

I like Berry but I wonder if he would be a good fit here
I'd be upset with Mays.

ok so what do we do with Goldson can he play SS, Lewis has another year or 2 left

I like Berry but I wonder if he would be a good fit here

I thought this was Lewis' last year. I'm not too sure. Having Goldson stick around as a FS would be fine. I believe they can switch. Goldson is a hitter too that can make plays in the backfield.

If Lewis does have another year, we'll have competition between Goldson and Berry and whoever doesn't start will play Mark Roman's role this year.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home