LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Nate Davis's potential vs Drafting a QB next year

Nate Davis's potential vs Drafting a QB next year

Hey all, I think the sky is the limit for Nate Davis. I know he has a lot of work ahead of him, but he has a ton of potential. My poll question is would you rather take a QB next year or develop Nate.

Also how would you compare Nate vs the top college quarterbacks for the 2010 draft.
We need to see Davis against starting defenses.

the 49ers have to be out of playoff contention (or maybe on the brink) for nate davis to get a shot at starting qb.

Idk if I pass on McCoy/Snead/Bradford for Nate Davis...

If Davis and one of those three become great..we can trade one
If Davis is the real deal then we have our QB in Davis. We can then save our two first rounders for the best players hopefully a NT or two pass rushing LBs.
both
If there's a good QB prospect at our draft position, we take him in a heartbeat... after all, if there's one thing that you can trade for a boatload of picks, it's a good QB.
Snead or Bradford are the only QB I would draft. I like Davis and his arm strength and athletic ability. I would prefer to bring Davis along slowly and have them take the starting job in his 3rd year or so but they should put him in situatations where he can succeed as Walsh did with Montana before starting him full time.
I'm pretty sure that by the end of the Season, Nate Davis will be starting for the 49ers!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
This causes a real quandry. Develop Davis and hope he pans out while missing on the best QB class in at least 5 years, or take a QB that ends up being a waste because Davis develops? Honestly, having 2 good QBs is far better than none, a risk worth taking. You can always trade one if they both work out.
Originally posted by TX9R:
This causes a real quandry. Develop Davis and hope he pans out while missing on the best QB class in at least 5 years, or take a QB that ends up being a waste because Davis develops? Honestly, having 2 good QBs is far better than none, a risk worth taking. You can always trade one if they both work out.

I agree. I hope Davis can become a good QB, but it would be wise for the team to draft a QB anyway. Davis should respond to the competition, hopefully. Like you said, we could always make a trade later.

Could never be a waste. QB's are at a premium and Davis or that 1st round QB could be traded for some nice compensation.
I don't think we will need to spend a top 10 pick on a QB next year. I'm looking at the all the NFL teams right now that need franchise QBs and this is my list:
St. Louis
SF
Denver
Washington

So that's 4 teams. If Bradford, Tebow, Snead, McCoy all come out, one of these guys will fall to the late 1st rd and maybe 2nd. Not to mention, there will be other QBs like Dan Levefour, Jimmy Clausen, and Zac Robinson would be available too.

Green Bay drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd rd even though they took Aaron Rodgers a year earlier.

We will be sitting pretty.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Could never be a waste. QB's are at a premium and Davis or that 1st round QB could be traded for some nice compensation.

Amen, quandry solved.
To the original poster this is a great question but we will definitely need to wait on this. For all we know Hill could have a great year and we can wait on Davis another year plus. I'd rather use the first 2 picks next year to build our talent up even more around the QB and than worry about the QB.
It certainly is a quandry. I just feel like next year's draft class has a boatload of talent. If we don't need to spend a first or a second on a qb then we shouldn't. Since we could potentially bring in more playmakers at different positions of need. Sure having more potentially good qb's on the roster gives a higher chance of a qb succeeding. Though do you want to have a qb battle every year?
Share 49ersWebzone