LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Questions about Colt McCoy...

Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Oscar:
My dream scenario: Hire Shannahan to run the WCO in SF and get McCoy. With Crabtree running the slants (he will sign) and Gore running the ball, it will be a much improved offense.

Here's a great article detailing some of McCoy's intangibles:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/08/30/0830mccoy.html

Originally posted by Alan Trubow:
After a tough sophomore year, when he threw 18 interceptions, McCoy spent the offseason with Davis going over every play that he could have made a better decision.

Instead of avoiding his mistakes, McCoy attacked them. He immersed himself in his failures to emerge stronger.

That's what helped the trust grow between Davis and McCoy, Davis said.

"I've never known a quarterback as well as I know Colt," Davis said. "Part of that is because he's been starting for so long. And part of that is that's just who he is."

He's the leader of the Longhorns.

wow, that article is very impressive. Colt's the man, i hope we can end up with him in the draft next year

I just wish Mark Sanchez's stock didnt catch fire when it did this offseason... Then we would already have our franchise QB instead of some pre-madona WR - even though I will be very thankful once he actually signs.

Who were all of the Sanchez haters again??? I really do know how to pick winners...

wow...
  • zero
  • Veteran
Javon Snead reminds me alot of a Matt Ryan/Jay Cutler type QB where he as an arm to make just about every throw and is smart enough to read coverages. It's also a plus that he plays against LSU, Alabama and maybe Florida if they reach the SEC title game and all three of those teams have good defenses. If he does well this year and is a Heisman finalist, IMO he's a no brainer to draft in the first round.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I also think Colt McCoy will be a better college QB than an NFL QB
Originally posted by zero:
Javon Snead reminds me alot of a Matt Ryan/Jay Cutler type QB where he as an arm to make just about every throw and is smart enough to read coverages. It's also a plus that he plays against LSU, Alabama and maybe Florida if they reach the SEC title game and all three of those teams have good defenses. If he does well this year and is a Heisman finalist, IMO he's a no brainer to draft in the first round.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I also think Colt McCoy will be a better college QB than an NFL QB

agree i think snead if developed right by the team hes picked will be the better qb out of bradford and mccoy. but i think if he does dominate and plays well against the elite sec teams he will be gone before our picks unless the panthers blow and perhaps have a top 3-5 pick
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

agree i think snead if developed right by the team hes picked will be the better qb out of bradford and mccoy. but i think if he does dominate and plays well against the elite sec teams he will be gone before our picks unless the panthers blow and perhaps have a top 3-5 pick

i hope that happens, i personally like McCoys game better than the other two guys. he's an exciting QB, very accurate, makes smart decisions, has improvisational skills when plays break down. i think he's gonna be the next steve young

i hope that happens, i personally like McCoys game better than the other two guys. he's an exciting QB, very accurate, makes smart decisions, has improvisational skills when plays break down. i think he's gonna be the next steve young

I just feel that Texas' offense is capable of making even crappy QB's look very efficient... I mean, even Vince Young was close to leading the nation in passing efficiency during his Jr year.

Operating out of the shotgun 90% of the time and rarely throwing passes longer than 15-20 yards doesnt really show you much about a QB, and almost nothing about how his game will transfer to the NFL.

I just feel that Texas' offense is capable of making even crappy QB's look very efficient... I mean, even Vince Young was close to leading the nation in passing efficiency during his Jr year.

Operating out of the shotgun 90% of the time and rarely throwing passes longer than 15-20 yards doesnt really show you much about a QB, and almost nothing about how his game will transfer to the NFL.

maybe but i think McCoy is way more complete than vince young

maybe but i think McCoy is way more complete than vince young

eh like abowers said texas' system has made many qbs look good, look at simms who had his shot in tb and couldnt beat out orton when healthy. vince was 1 hell of a qb at texas his throwing motion was unorthodox but he still completed many of his passes due to the system. regardless i would prefer snead over both bradford and mccoy
Colt McCoy will be a great QB in the NFL. I'm sure of it. I really hope we draft him next year. Colt has great physical skills. His accuracy is amazing. But the best thing about Colt if you really watch is his leadership and fire. QB's with that kind of leadership can have a drastic effect on how well the rest of the offense plays. They make everyone around them better.
Originally posted by MrAdrenaline:
Colt McCoy will be a great QB in the NFL. I'm sure of it. I really hope we draft him next year. Colt has great physical skills. His accuracy is amazing. But the best thing about Colt if you really watch is his leadership and fire. QB's with that kind of leadership can have a drastic effect on how well the rest of the offense plays. They make everyone around them better.

i think so too. to me he looks like a complete QB

But does he have a bigger upside than Sam Bradford??

Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

i dont think bradford will be as good in the pros, he looked really timid against Florida last year. he will bve good, not a complete bust but i dont think he's gonna be a top teir QB. could be wrong ofcourse. i just like McCoy for our offense.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

No

I watched Colt McCoy struggle and lose against TTU and barely beat OSU.
I watched Bradford destroy both teams.
And Sam did it with less talented teammates.

So as far as performance goes, Bradford wins.

Potential? Potential is based completely off measurables, there Bradford is a head and shoulders above McCoy and the others. Maybe Snead has similar measurables.

[ Edited by cestmoi on Sep 3, 2009 at 21:50:12 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Oscar:
My dream scenario: Hire Shannahan to run the WCO in SF and get McCoy. With Crabtree running the slants (he will sign) and Gore running the ball, it will be a much improved offense.

Here's a great article detailing some of McCoy's intangibles:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/08/30/0830mccoy.html

Originally posted by Alan Trubow:
After a tough sophomore year, when he threw 18 interceptions, McCoy spent the offseason with Davis going over every play that he could have made a better decision.

Instead of avoiding his mistakes, McCoy attacked them. He immersed himself in his failures to emerge stronger.

That's what helped the trust grow between Davis and McCoy, Davis said.

"I've never known a quarterback as well as I know Colt," Davis said. "Part of that is because he's been starting for so long. And part of that is that's just who he is."

He's the leader of the Longhorns.

Hey Oscar, to run the WCO you need a line who can pass block!!

I think you need a line that can pass block for EVERY offense that is out there.
I'm not really a fan of Colt McCoy, it seems like to me that he'll be a better college QB than NFL QB. His arm strength doesn't really do much for me, and it seems he relies on his legs more often than I'm comfortable with. I haven't seen Snead much, but I think I'll have him at the top of the list.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Guys, I gotta say.

I seriously think Colt McCoy has one of the stupidest names I've ever heard. It's just so dumb, so ridiculously cartoonish it makes him seem like a bad cowboy caricature. And let me tell you, I can't stand Texas. That whole "hook 'em horns" crap is almost as dumb as the "wreck 'em tech" or the Florida State judo-chop thing.

So for awhile now I've disliked McCoy, hated all the hype he was getting, and was absolutely disgusted by the idea of the Niners drafting him.

But damn, fellas. I've seen the light. It's like he can put the ball wherever the hell he wants. Defenders? Nah, he'll put it in just the right spot so there's no chance of anybody but the receiver to get a hand on it. It's unreal.

And the way he moves in the pocket is crazy. People talk about quarterbacks feeling the pocket, but this guy IS the pocket. Someone else said it was Steve Young-esque and I wouldn't go that far, but the guy just glides around the field.

I want him on my team. In a BAD way.
Share 49ersWebzone