LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 293 users in the forums

Questions about Colt McCoy...

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by FL9er:
As I said before..........Stafford and Sanchez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snead, McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, Robinson, LaFevor (sp), etc.

ok i have a question if stafford and sanchez are that much better than how did bradford and tebow win the heisman and go to the championship game

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

Just because your a great college QB doesn't mean you will be a great pro QB.

but it does mean u have a better chance in succeeding in the nfl
As I said before..........Stafford and Sanchez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snead, McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, Robinson, LaFevor (sp), etc.

ok i have a question if stafford and sanchez are that much better than how did bradford and tebow win the heisman and go to the championship game

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

Most of the Heisman winning QB's have amounted to s**t in the NFL.

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

there were a few good ones. Roger Staubach, Jim Plunket,Carson Palmer, Doug Flutie and even Vinnie Testaverde. a few heisman runner ups were pretty good too: peyton manning and john elway. it kinda goes both ways, if the guys got it, he's got it, winning a heisman doesnt make some one a bad QB. i thought troy smith woulda been a great nfl QB but he's really short, thats the only reason i think he didnt get drafted till the 5th or 6th
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

there were a few good ones. Roger Staubach, Jim Plunket,Carson Palmer, Doug Flutie and even Vinnie Testaverde. a few heisman runner ups were pretty good too: peyton manning and john elway. it kinda goes both ways, if the guys got it, he's got it, winning a heisman doesnt make some one a bad QB. i thought troy smith woulda been a great nfl QB but he's really short, thats the only reason i think he didnt get drafted till the 5th or 6th

i loved chris weinke being that im a noles fan. ever since he left we havent had a qb, i was really rooting for him when he was a panther but dude was like 28 and had to start his nfl career on a good note quickly sadly he couldnt play

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

Never said that, my point was winning the Heisman doesn't make you the best QB available for the draft. Agree with all your points though.

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

Never said that, my point was winning the Heisman doesn't make you the best QB available for the draft. Agree with all your points though.

The Heisman is almost entirely based upon stats, and stats are much more directly to the type of offense one plays and that person's role within the offense (or defense if you're Charles Woodson), as opposed to simply judging the actual talent of that player.

Because of the spread offense, there will always be less talented players putting up better numbers.

2000 Chris Weinke
1989 Andre Ware
1993 Charlie Ward
1996 Danny Wuerffel
2003 Jason White
2006 Troy Smith

no harm done lol
Originally posted by PTulini:
If it were up to me (I know its not ) I would draft Colt McCoy. He may not have the elite arm strength that so many "experts" fall in love with, but I promise you he has enough to get the job done. I think other than that, he has everything else you look for in a QB. (Tangibles, Intangibles, Accuracy, Leadership...) Plus, with weapons like Crabtree and Vernon Davis, Colt McCoy doesn't need an elite arm. He can throw accurate short and intermediate passes then let his playmakers get the YAC. Perfect QB for the type of offense Coach Singletary wants to implement.

Besides, Can you imagine Colt McCoy and Michael Crabtree in the same offense in stead of against eachother?

If you believe in the so-called draft experts, this discussion happened earlier this week on ESPN. Todd McShay said that he would pick McCoy to start over any of the other top QB's in college football (.....including Bradford) if he had a must win game. I think his intangibles are phenomenal and his arm is good enough. COLT McCOY in 2010 with one of our first round picks.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
My dream scenario: Hire Shannahan to run the WCO in SF and get McCoy. With Crabtree running the slants (he will sign) and Gore running the ball, it will be a much improved offense.

Here's a great article detailing some of McCoy's intangibles:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/08/30/0830mccoy.html

Originally posted by Alan Trubow:
After a tough sophomore year, when he threw 18 interceptions, McCoy spent the offseason with Davis going over every play that he could have made a better decision.

Instead of avoiding his mistakes, McCoy attacked them. He immersed himself in his failures to emerge stronger.

That's what helped the trust grow between Davis and McCoy, Davis said.

"I've never known a quarterback as well as I know Colt," Davis said. "Part of that is because he's been starting for so long. And part of that is that's just who he is."

He's the leader of the Longhorns.
Originally posted by Oscar:
My dream scenario: Hire Shannahan to run the WCO in SF and get McCoy. With Crabtree running the slants (he will sign) and Gore running the ball, it will be a much improved offense.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/08/30/0830mccoy.html

After a tough sophomore year, when he threw 18 interceptions, McCoy spent the offseason with Davis going over every play that he could have made a better decision.

Instead of avoiding his mistakes, McCoy attacked them. He immersed himself in his failures to emerge stronger.

"I've never known a quarterback as well as I know Colt," Davis said. "Part of that is because he's been starting for so long. And part of that is that's just who he is."

wow, that article is very impressive. Colt's the man, i hope we can end up with him in the draft next year

• BobS
  • Veteran
being like alex is not a abd thing the niners just ruined his career they started him on a team with no weapons no o line etc. then when he shows promised a 300 pound fat ass jumps on his shoulder

What is his excuse now? He is healthy and still looks terrible.

wow, that article is very impressive. Colt's the man, i hope we can end up with him in the draft next year

I just wish Mark Sanchez's stock didnt catch fire when it did this offseason... Then we would already have our franchise QB instead of some pre-madona WR - even though I will be very thankful once he actually signs.

Who were all of the Sanchez haters again??? I really do know how to pick winners...

Hey Oscar, to run the WCO you need a line who can pass block!!

Very excited for this season to start.
Todd McShay current list of draft eligible QB's is as follows:

1) Sam Bradford
2) Jevan Snead
3) Colt McCoy
4) Tim Tebow

Im hoping for snead...
Share 49ersWebzone