There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Questions about Colt McCoy...

I am sure Colt has come up several times on this board, but I just had a few questions about him.

I am of the opinion that one of our first round picks next year should be used on a QB. That isn't exactly earth shattering news, I realize that, but it has me looking into who will be available next year.

The names I keep hearing are Bradford, Snead, and McCoy.

1) I don't like Bradford. He is uber-productive, but everything about him SCREAMS Alex Smith to me.

2) I know ZILCH about Snead. He seems protypical from what I've seen on Youtube, but I can't really make an assesment of him.

3) I like what I've seen from McCoy. He seems to make good decisions, throw the ball accurately, and has a quick release. He also seems to have some fire in him. The critisism I've read is that he doesn't have a great arm tho.

To anyone who has seen this guy play on a semi-regular basis...are we talking a Joe Montana arm or a Ken Drsey Arm. If the guy doesn't have a gun but has enough to get it there, thats all I want. If he simply can't make the throws, thats another thing altogether.
Just watch the Shootout in October and the National Championship Game in January.
I think he'll be a more athletic version of Chad Pennington (smart, accurate and savvy with great leadership skills). I don't think arm strength will be a huge issue for him in the NFL, but it may cost him a high draft selection.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I think he'll be a more athletic version of Chad Pennington (smart, accurate and savvy with great leadership skills). I don't think arm strength will be a huge issue for him in the NFL, but it may cost him a high draft selection.

...and thats kinda why I like him.

He could be a guy that falls because he doesn't have a rocket arm, but what I've seen and heard form him looks like he has everything else. What I REALLY like about him is that accuracy and the quick release.

Bradford just scares the crap out of me. I think he'll bust in a big way.
Seems like next year's draft is loaded with "WCO QB's" who lack elite arm strength with McCoy being a great example.

Not sure that is what fits our offense with the need to push the ball down the field.
I want either Colt McCoy or Snead...

I mean, how can you not be a successful QB with a name like Colt McCoy?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I want either Colt McCoy or Snead...

I mean, how can you not be a successful QB with a name like Colt McCoy?

lol. ;-)

I'm thinkin' Next year the QBs could be...

1) Shaun Hill
2) Colt McCoy
3) Nate Davis

You then groom both McCoy and Davis and see which one can eventually unseat Hill.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Seems like next year's draft is loaded with "WCO QB's" who lack elite arm strength with McCoy being a great example.

Not sure that is what fits our offense with the need to push the ball down the field.

Give us Bradford elite arm.
I like McCoy and Snead, if we came away from next year's draft with either of them I would be EXTREMELY happy.
being like alex is not a abd thing the niners just ruined his career they started him on a team with no weapons no o line etc. then when he shows promised a 300 pound fat ass jumps on his shoulder
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I want either Colt McCoy or Snead...

I mean, how can you not be a successful QB with a name like Colt McCoy?

lol. ;-)

I'm thinkin' Next year the QBs could be...

1) Shaun Hill
2) Colt McCoy
3) Nate Davis

You then groom both McCoy and Davis and see which one can eventually unseat Hill.

this
all 3 qbs are gonna need the time to sit and learn the pro gm with the systems they played in college. seen mccoy play of course but not snead, i prefer the qb with the stronger arm though and thats probably snead theres something about mccoy and bradford even though we have no shot at him that i dont like about either of them.
I have iffy feeling about bradford too...

Hey i got a Q. Couple of sites I've been to says Colt McCoy isn't 1st round material hes 2-3...
I'm more apt to favor the QB who is most "NFL ready" once he steps out of college.

Bradford doesn't fit that mold. That spread offense that they run at OK doesn't hunt in the NFL. He is atrocious under center and is not all that elusive. Also not an accurate passer on the run. Has a cannon for an arm and good efficiency....when he is standing upright in the pocket with time. Always a challenge to convert shotgun QB's to taking direct snaps.

I know that there is a lot of love for Tim Tebow, but I'm not sure how he fits into the NFL game as a QB. The guy is an athlete and a winner and displays a huge heart on the field. But can he work in a pro scheme? Maybe; just not sure.

I do like Colt McCoy. He seems to have all the tangibles and intangibles it requires to be an NFL signal caller. I must agree with many on the WZ that he does not possess the strongest of arms, but he is efficient and has good zip on the ball. Also runs well.

But are we missing other QB's who will be entering the 2010 NFL Draft?
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
I'm more apt to favor the QB who is most "NFL ready" once he steps out of college.

Bradford doesn't fit that mold. That spread offense that they run at OK doesn't hunt in the NFL. He is atrocious under center and is not all that elusive. Also not an accurate passer on the run. Has a cannon for an arm and good efficiency....when he is standing upright in the pocket with time. Always a challenge to convert shotgun QB's to taking direct snaps.

I know that there is a lot of love for Tim Tebow, but I'm not sure how he fits into the NFL game as a QB. The guy is an athlete and a winner and displays a huge heart on the field. But can he work in a pro scheme? Maybe; just not sure.

I do like Colt McCoy. He seems to have all the tangibles and intangibles it requires to be an NFL signal caller. I must agree with many on the WZ that he does not possess the strongest of arms, but he is efficient and has good zip on the ball. Also runs well.

But are we missing other QB's who will be entering the 2010 NFL Draft?

Colt would be my first choice, i think the knock on his arm is a little misleading. even Hill can throw a 40 yard pass every once in a while, most teams only bomb it 3 or 4 times a game, if that. i think colt has more than enough arm to play QB in the NFL. i would love it if we could somehow snatch him in the draft. i dont know where he is predicted to go but i would love for us to draft this guy. super accurate, good pocket presence, good scrambling ability and speed if need be. he looks like a baby steve young, except steve had a stronger arm. tebow is intriguing, if the idea is that he wont be a 1st rounder, i would take a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd if he falls that far. i think his attitude is perfect for the QB position, kinda favre-ish. he's tough, a good leader and he's a good decision maker with the ball. he said he would try to showcase more under center skills this year so we'll see how that goes. one thing is certain, we have to take advantage of the top QB's coming out next year. there are some great QB's coming out