There are 151 users in the forums

Eric Berry or Taylor Mays?

Eric Berry or Taylor Mays?

mays just has that hit-em an kill em mentality berry a ballhawk no doubt but 4 picks against 12...well anybody thats played in the secondary knows that qb's offer up a couple gimmes...i ant saying berrys werall gimmies but im just saying dont decide on stats
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9er_84:
mays just has that hit-em an kill em mentality berry a ballhawk no doubt but 4 picks against 12...well anybody thats played in the secondary knows that qb's offer up a couple gimmes...i ant saying berrys werall gimmies but im just saying dont decide on stats

Exactly why I wanna wait till I actually see him this year, I'm gonna watch as much as Tennessee games they show in Hawaii.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Yep - Im one of the biggest USC supporters on this board, and my vote undoubtedly goes to Berry... Im not even certain that Mays goes in the first round next year unless he starts to create more turnovers... His hits are absolutely bone-crushing though, which makes me feel like he would be a solid future replacement for M. Lewis at SS.

Agreed plus Mays is huge. Berry is a hog tho. Either way im good which ever way we go
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Like I said, right now I'm gonna go with Taylor Mays, to tell you the truth I haven't really watched enough of Berry to make a judgement. And besides, Berry has not declared for the draft yet, yes, he took out that 3 million dollar insurance policy, but that still does not convince me. If Berry has a bad year, really doubt he would come out. I need to watch more of Berry, instead of making my decision off a couple youtube clips. So far I've seen that hes a hard hitter and will come up to support the run and is solid in zone coverage. What they don't show is, does he often gamble too much and take bad angles and give up big plays, does he tend to miss a lot of tackles, how is he in man coverage??

Hopefully the 2010 draft is the draft that we finally solve our FS issues, I'm, not sold on Goldson by any means. We are one injury away from seeing Mark Roman back on the field, boooooo.

if your not sold on goldson, why do you go for mays. fs NEEDS TO BE A BALL HAWK, THATS NOT WHAT MAYS IS.. FRANKLY HE GOT CLOWNED BY BERRY IN THAT CATEGORY. oops....... mays would be a good replacement for lewis not fs, ss. i dont want someone steppin in that will get as many picks as roman. 0. mays is a baller but we need a hawk now. and mays is not a hawk.

Well for the simple fact that I have watched Mays, like I mentioned in my earlier reply. Mays good range, solid in Zone and man coverage, I wouldn't just use interceptions as a measuring stick. From the FS position he does come up to support the run a lot. In the end, who's to say Mays won't end a season with 5-7 picks.

Like I said, until Berry actually declares for the draft, and I get a chance to watch him this season, my vote goes to Taylor Mays.

cause he didnt do it in college

Than by your logic, Peyton Manning wouldn't of won the Super Bowl, and Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush should be Super Bowl MVP's.

no im saying if you cant produce something in college, what makes anyone think you can do it against a higher level of talent. college football is fun to watch because the talent is almost completely seperated. You can see the players getting outplayed, and you can tell who is gonna make it to the next level. BUt as you stated above, in the exact opposite of what i was saying. That there are people that can ball out in college but cannot produce in the nfl. hence busts.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Taylor Mays... Hands down. I'll say it.... Ronnie Lott junior. or at least the potential to be.

ok i agree ..... but he should not step in as a fs period. The number 1 priorty for a fs is picks. mays got 4 in what 3 years. might as well have roman start. j/k. but really him at fs does not help us. roman got moved down because of no picks not coverage skills or any other reason..... no picks in 2 seasons.... no fs would last on a team with those stats
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Taylor Mays... Hands down. I'll say it.... Ronnie Lott junior. or at least the potential to be.

ok i agree ..... but he should not step in as a fs period. The number 1 priorty for a fs is picks. mays got 4 in what 3 years. might as well have roman start. j/k. but really him at fs does not help us. roman got moved down because of no picks not coverage skills or any other reason..... no picks in 2 seasons.... no fs would last on a team with those stats

Mays didn't get picks because USC had him play a cover role where he was supposed to prevent the long ball. Only one deep pass was completed on SC's D all year, and Mays was a large reason for that. Carroll himself has said numerous times that it was entirely on purpose.

I think you'll see him get more picks this year, as he'll be expected to gamble more and this year's D is going to produce a lot more turnovers than last years.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
taylor mays is a SS while berry is a FS

That is probably the best way to sum it up. We need a FS, not a SS.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Like I said, right now I'm gonna go with Taylor Mays, to tell you the truth I haven't really watched enough of Berry to make a judgement. And besides, Berry has not declared for the draft yet, yes, he took out that 3 million dollar insurance policy, but that still does not convince me. If Berry has a bad year, really doubt he would come out. I need to watch more of Berry, instead of making my decision off a couple youtube clips. So far I've seen that hes a hard hitter and will come up to support the run and is solid in zone coverage. What they don't show is, does he often gamble too much and take bad angles and give up big plays, does he tend to miss a lot of tackles, how is he in man coverage??

Hopefully the 2010 draft is the draft that we finally solve our FS issues, I'm, not sold on Goldson by any means. We are one injury away from seeing Mark Roman back on the field, boooooo.

if your not sold on goldson, why do you go for mays. fs NEEDS TO BE A BALL HAWK, THATS NOT WHAT MAYS IS.. FRANKLY HE GOT CLOWNED BY BERRY IN THAT CATEGORY. oops....... mays would be a good replacement for lewis not fs, ss. i dont want someone steppin in that will get as many picks as roman. 0. mays is a baller but we need a hawk now. and mays is not a hawk.

Well for the simple fact that I have watched Mays, like I mentioned in my earlier reply. Mays good range, solid in Zone and man coverage, I wouldn't just use interceptions as a measuring stick. From the FS position he does come up to support the run a lot. In the end, who's to say Mays won't end a season with 5-7 picks.

Like I said, until Berry actually declares for the draft, and I get a chance to watch him this season, my vote goes to Taylor Mays.

cause he didnt do it in college

Than by your logic, Peyton Manning wouldn't of won the Super Bowl, and Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush should be Super Bowl MVP's.

no im saying if you cant produce something in college, what makes anyone think you can do it against a higher level of talent.
college football is fun to watch because the talent is almost completely seperated. You can see the players getting outplayed, and you can tell who is gonna make it to the next level. BUt as you stated above, in the exact opposite of what i was saying. That there are people that can ball out in college but cannot produce in the nfl. hence busts.

Umm I think you guys are saying the exact same thing, since basically Peyton Manning couldn't win the big game in college, but he did so in the Pro's. Matter of fact I just got done watching Oregon vs. USC 2008 (ch 614, ESPNU, DirectTV), and basically USC gave up NO, nada none big plays, as I've said, Mays comes up to support the run. Again I think your underestimating Mays as a player, because he has good range and speed which should translate fine to the Pro's.

And again, your acting as if, I'm saying Mays is better than Berry.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Berry looks like a top 3 pick right now. He plays at another level so it should be really fun to see him in action this year.

crabtree looked out of reach for us too but that turned out ok. it all depends on other teams positions of need
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Berry looks like a top 3 pick right now. He plays at another level so it should be really fun to see him in action this year.

crabtree looked out of reach for us too but that turned out ok. it all depends on other teams positions of need

That is because teams were suspect of his foot injury

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
I'm guessing even if Goldson picks off 3-4 passes, this will still be the question heading into the 2010 draft.

I'd hate to be the person to make this decision if both of them are there when our pick comes up.

First things first though, Berry has to declare for the draft. So until then, I'm gonna say Mays.

if that is the case I would say pick Berry and then trade back up for Mays

That would be pretty sick!!!

Just think Washington almost had themselves a similar backfield, too bad dumbass kids took Sean Taylor's life (RIP).

im just saying unexpected things happen. he could be there when we draft.

Pretty rare to see a safety go top 3 or even top 5. I think both Berry and Mays will go top 10, but I could see one slipping for injuries or something. Definitely possible that we could get one.

Or maybe Carolina will suck so much we get a top 5 pick...
Originally posted by nipplehead:

Pretty rare to see a safety go top 3 or even top 5. I think both Berry and Mays will go top 10, but I could see one slipping for injuries or something. Definitely possible that we could get one.

Or maybe Carolina will suck so much we get a top 5 pick...

Absolutely, nothing carved in stone yet. And next year there are a bunch of offensive players that could have monster years and jump up the board. There are like 4-5 QB's and a couple each WR/RB's.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Why do I have this feeling that McCloughan would pass them both up.

Then again, that's twice McCloughan drafted players that wanted to help their family, in Gore and Rachal.
Share 49ersWebzone