Hometown FAIRBURN, GA
Height 5-11
Weight 195 lbs.
Age 20
Class Sophomore

YEAR TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
2007 86 52 34 0 0 0 1 0 5 222 44.4 96 1 0
2008 72 44 28 3 0 0 0 0 7 265 37.9 72 2 0

Obviously when it comes to safety you need picks, thats your job. mays doesn't have as many as berry in the 3 years he played compared to the 2 berry played. now im assuming usc had a better defense, so stats might have been better for mays. But also eric berry is listed as a cb, so are we all assuming he will be switching to safety. Dont know my vote used to be mays, but berry sure did get better stats in 2 years than mays 3. but mays is supposedly 35 lbs. heavier, and 4 inches taller.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
after all the stats and vids, bottome line we need turnovers, and berry is better in that category. case closed!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
But also eric berry is listed as a cb, so are we all assuming he will be switching to safety. Dont know my vote used to be mays, but berry sure did get better stats in 2 years than mays 3. but mays is supposedly 35 lbs. heavier, and 4 inches taller.

Eric Berry is a true FS, who can also play CB. He will be a FS in NFL (though, he can play some CB early on in his career).

Mays on the other hand is a true SS. He can cover better than most SS, but he is not a very good tackler (takes poor angles - which can be corrected) and does not create turnovers.

Eric Berry reminds me a lot of Brian Dawkins. He goes all out in the running game, and has excellent instincts in the passing game. He also has strong leadership qualities.
I would like to see Berry and Goldson in the safety positions. I think those two would generate some turnovers
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
I would like to see Berry and Goldson in the safety positions. I think those two would generate some turnovers

i dont know i wouldnt mind either one, but i want a lott back there. someone who can put fear into the recievers
taylor mays is a SS while berry is a FS
Originally posted by fan49:
after all the stats and vids, bottome line we need turnovers, and berry is better in that category. case closed!
I don't know how much Micheal Lewis has left in him... What would you guys about moving Goldson to SS if FS doesn't work out this year, then draft Berry as a FS if we can get him?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't know how much Micheal Lewis has left in him... What would you guys about moving Goldson to SS if FS doesn't work out this year, then draft Berry as a FS if we can get him?

Michael Lewis is just fine. He turned 29 years old this year - so he easily has another 3-4 years in him. He is a fine player too, and is a sure tackler and good leader. I will keep him and get Berry.

As for Goldson, he has to prove he can stay healthy. And if he can't stay healthy at FS, he has no chance of staying healthy at SS.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm guessing even if Goldson picks off 3-4 passes, this will still be the question heading into the 2010 draft.

I'd hate to be the person to make this decision if both of them are there when our pick comes up.

First things first though, Berry has to declare for the draft. So until then, I'm gonna say Mays.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm guessing even if Goldson picks off 3-4 passes, this will still be the question heading into the 2010 draft.

I'd hate to be the person to make this decision if both of them are there when our pick comes up.

First things first though, Berry has to declare for the draft. So until then, I'm gonna say Mays.

Agreed. For us to not consider drafting a FS early in 2010, two things need to happen:

1. Goldson stays healthy for majority (if not all) of the season.
2. Goldson has a pro-bowl type of season, like 80+ tackles, 6-7 ints, couple of force fumbles and couple of sacks.

Either is highly unlikely unfortunately.
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
I watch a lot of vols football, and I am firmly on the Berry bandwagon. I was elated that we got carolinas 1st rounder because thats doubling our chances to get this guy. Hes like a black hole that floats around the field swallowing up anything that comes his way that resembles a football. Mays is a solid prospect, but this guy is truly on another level.
Yep - Im one of the biggest USC supporters on this board, and my vote undoubtedly goes to Berry... Im not even certain that Mays goes in the first round next year unless he starts to create more turnovers... His hits are absolutely bone-crushing though, which makes me feel like he would be a solid future replacement for M. Lewis at SS.
Berry looks like a top 3 pick right now. He plays at another level so it should be really fun to see him in action this year.
Share 49ersWebzone