-
btthepunk
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 23,344
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
IMO Taylor Mays is the truth and from what I heared he can run a sub 4.2 40 yard dash from one of the commentaters during a USC game. Thats freakish for someone his hight and size. Theres no denying Eric Berry's talent as well. I think we are in Michael Lewis final year contract so it wouldnt surprise to pick this kid up in the draft as a Strong Saftey. This guy does nothing but lay wood and would be a good run stop supporting (already what Lewis does but Mays may be better). Who knows lets just see how he plays and if he steps up his game in pass coverage (something he is not better at) and then who knows.
Michael Lewis signed a 6 year contract I believe.
-
fan49
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 6,293
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
forget mays, eric berry is the PLAYMAKER we need, we dont need someone who will just hit. but then again if goldson shows up and plays really well we may not need a safety
if goldson balls out we still need a safety, a strong, lewis is not getting younger. but the ball hawk in this discussion is def. berry and not mays
Does he pass the look test - Absolutely. But it ends there. He has no instincts and it shows with his lack of interceptions and big plays. His angles are terrible.
He might be better off at a weakside linebacker position.
I hope he comes no where near our team!
Originally posted by ImaMod:
you're not very smart..
actually

Im not the one posting cartoon characters.
-
toppdogg32
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 6,796
I ALREADY SAID THIS LAST YEAR WHEN A LOT OF YOU WERE ON HIS JOCK!...HE JUST PHYSICALLY LOOKS THE PART OF A WORLD BEATER, BUT ALAS HE'S A GRAB/ARM TACKLER...HE (ALONG WITH OTHER USC DB'S) WERE AFRAID OF PRYOR TONIGHT, AND ONLY THE CLOCK SAVED THEIR ASSES.....(AND IM A USC FAN).
-
WillistheWall
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 22,848
Originally posted by rtj03:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
you're not very smart.. actually 
Im not the one posting cartoon characters.
LOL nice comeback. and actually, yea he is overrated. hes a freakish athlete but he doesnt produce too many interceptions. he looks like just a hard hitter, and thats good and all but just because he hits hard doesnt mean hes the next lott or even polamolu or reed.
-
HoneyBadger49er
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 19,054
Originally posted by ImaMod:
you're not very smart..
actually

personal attack by a " self proclaimed mod"?
-
49ersalldaway126
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 14,549
Originally posted by rtj03:
Does he pass the look test - Absolutely. But it ends there. He has no instincts and it shows with his lack of interceptions and big plays. His angles are terrible.
He might be better off at a weakside linebacker position.
I hope he comes no where near our team!
hes gonna be a SS not a FS and he is the perfect SS
-
abowers1984
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,372
I am probably the biggest SC fan on this board as many of you can attest, and I too have said that Mays is overrated as a free safety. Until he shows he's able to consistently make plays on the ball, I will not see him as a true 1st round caliber FS...
However, to say that he was afraid of Pryor tonight is absolutely absurd, in fact he and everson griffeth were the only players to make solo, open field tackles on pryor. Although I question his ball skills, I certainly dont question his effort or his confidence as a tackler... The kid plays with reckless abandon and remains one of the hardest hitters in college football.
He took one poor angle tonight when he failed to see the slot receiver coming down the seam and broke to outside to defend the wheel route, other than that, he played down hill football all night and consistently came up in run support on both RBs and pryor as he always does.
-
pelos21
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 7,750
Wow really, I pretty much had a mancrush on this foo. He could still be our future FS
-
scoobyduu24
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 1,362
First off yes I am an SC fan...... Taylor's ball skills are nowhere near Berry's, his ball skills are average at best. He would be an excellent SS in the league, his ability to shift over to the FS spot when formations dictate would make him extremely versatile & valuable. If he decides to improve his ball skills (I think he'd rather go for the big hit right know) he could be a stud FS. Tonight he made two bad reads one of those I attribute to him being to aggresive (which I would rather than too cautious aka Roman

).
Originally posted by abowers1984:
I am probably the biggest SC fan on this board as many of you can attest, and I too have said that Mays is overrated as a free safety. Until he shows he's able to consistently make plays on the ball, I will not see him as a true 1st round caliber FS...
However, to say that he was afraid of Pryor tonight is absolutely absurd, in fact he and everson griffeth were the only players to make solo, open field tackles on pryor. Although I question his ball skills, I certainly dont question his effort or his confidence as a tackler... The kid plays with reckless abandon and remains one of the hardest hitters in college football.
He took one poor angle tonight when he failed to see the slot receiver coming down the seam and broke to outside to defend the wheel route, other than that, he played down hill football all night and consistently came up in run support on both RBs and pryor as he always does.
I agree with your analysis, well said, but why dont SS need ball skills? I understand the difference between the two spots and how SS supports the run but I feel BOTH spots need to play the pass and should have ball skills.
-
kstolai
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 11,313
Originally posted by rtj03:
Does he pass the look test - Absolutely. But it ends there. He has no instincts and it shows with his lack of interceptions and big plays. His angles are terrible.
He might be better off at a weakside linebacker position.
I hope he comes no where near our team!
Agree, he's not the total package