LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

taylor mays

Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by billybonka:
he's that good.

could work on a few things & I've seen him commit/give up big plays, but his combination of size and speed is rare.

1st rounder as projected, easy.
What? Did u even watch any usc games? They only gave up one deep ball all season!!! I'm sorry to call u out but yea its a testament to how well he plays
Because every play is a pass? I've seen him fail by over-committing on run support a quite a few times.

I played Pac-10 football and I watched every game last year because I'm an avid sports bettor. I'm very aware of his strengths that every zoner jumps the gun and jerks off about, but if you're a big advocate on drafting him with our first rd pick next year - you should know his weaknesses as well.

He's not nearly as rangy, nor as physically dominant at the point of attack. He takes bad angles which leads to a lot of garbage yards that could be avoided with the proper pursuit. Tends to come off a bit tight hipped. At times he is seemingly playing off sheer athletic ability, as opposed to football instincts and talent.

He's a pure FS. He's at his best way back in deep coverage. Just because he's 230 lbs, doesn't mean the guy's a SS. He can lay the hat, but he's not a sound enough tackler to play SS at the next level. He'll be much better suited at FS.

I'd personally take Eric Berry before Mays because I feel he's a more complete Safety.
NFL Draft Scout.com has Mays ranked as the best player in the 2010 draft. That does not include Juniors though.
  • volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dbdublin:
NFL Draft Scout.com has Mays ranked as the best player in the 2010 draft. That does not include Juniors though.

Guarantee Al Davis will fall in love with Mays because of hois measurables and pick him high, Berry will go a little later hopefully to the 9ers and be a much better player in the NFL IMO.
"Taylor Mays, USC (6-3, 230)

Mays is a strapping free safety prospect who exhibits a rare combination of size and speed for the position. He combines the frame and power of an outside linebacker with the burst and closing speed of a cornerback. Mays is undeniably the nation’s top senior safety prospect, and his blend of size, speed and athletic ability should ultimately land him a spot somewhere in the top 10 next April. He’s a ferocious hitter who plays with reckless abandon and knows how to intimidate receivers over the middle of the field. Additionally, he showcases great burst and closing speed playing the center field-type role and does a nice job using his range to make plays on the football. He does get a bit leggy at times, especially when asked to change directions in space, but he’s a smart kid with good instincts and diagnoses plays quickly. Overall, Mays possesses a rare athletic and physical skill set for the position and should make an immediate impact in the NFL."

Here is a review by National Football Post that included all senior FS prospects. I agree that Berry is still a better prospect and while Mays would be worth one of our first round picks, Berry might be worth both.
Originally posted by volfan2008:

Guarantee Al Davis will fall in love with Mays because of hois measurables and pick him high, Berry will go a little later hopefully to the 9ers and be a much better player in the NFL IMO.

LOL...I heard that Davis would never pass on Crabtree too....

• volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by volfan2008:

LOL...I heard that Davis would never pass on Crabtree too....

LOL to you IMO, Davis passed on Crabby for Bey who runs 4.3 which is what will make him fall in love with Mays. Berry is the much better player, all you can do is post pics of Mays jumping and running in practice gear because he doesn't make any plays in the games. All Berry does is make plays.
draft them both make taylor mays our SS and berry our FS
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

That would be a pretty secondary.

Clements, Mays, Berry, and Tarrell Brown/Walt Harris?
We're gonna be so happy with Goldson this year we won't want Mays or Berry!

FYI, USC had its annual 20 yard dash races...guess who was the fastest on the team?

230 pound Mays ran a 2.5 20, fastest of any Trojan.

BALLLLLLLLLLLLINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Clements, Mays, Berry, and Tarrell Brown/bly?

fixed it for ya
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Clements, Mays, Berry, and Tarrell Brown/bly?

fixed it for ya

Thanks
IMO Taylor Mays is the truth and from what I heared he can run a sub 4.2 40 yard dash from one of the commentaters during a USC game. Thats freakish for someone his hight and size. Theres no denying Eric Berry's talent as well. I think we are in Michael Lewis final year contract so it wouldnt surprise to pick this kid up in the draft as a Strong Saftey. This guy does nothing but lay wood and would be a good run stop supporting (already what Lewis does but Mays may be better). Who knows lets just see how he plays and if he steps up his game in pass coverage (something he is not better at) and then who knows.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
berry has more tackles more int in 2 years then mays had in 3. ......... but there listed at diff. position. stat wise mays wouldnt last. but he is way bigger, like 40 lbs and 4 inches
Share 49ersWebzone