The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1a. Eric Berry/Taylor Mays

1b. Ciron Black

2nd. Dan LeFevour

Like picks 1a and 2, but Ciron Black just got abused by the Gators this past weekend., plus the recent performance of LSU draft picks (....except for LaRon Landry) is pretty pathetic in the NFL. I would take either T. Williams, R. Okung, or Bulaga if they were available at that pick.

Oh so would I, but you have to think Berry would be a high 1st round pick. Then it would go like:

Trent Williams
Russell Okung
Brian Bulaga
Ciron Black

And I could see the top 3 OT's going well within picks 2-20, with Black going to us possibly by the 21st pick or whatever.
These two safeties, Berry and Mays, are some of the best safeties to come out in some time, both top 10 easy. Right now, we have some major concerns at the position as a result of two things: M. Lewis concussion and M. Roman's role. After his third concussion, M. Lewis may retire leaving us w/o an excellent SS against the run.

After five games, these are my top priorities:

OT
S
DE/OLB
G
NT

For this argument, ROT/ROG is our biggest weaknesses. From what I read, this is a good draft for some OLs especially for G's. Is that correct? This draft is also full of DE/OLB prospects from the first through the third like last year. We have some NT possibilities, too, but not as abundant as the other positions. The last position I am mentioning does not have as many quality players, safety. That is why I believe that we should target one of the top two safeties if we Carolina's pick is top ten.

After that, BPA at position of need. IMO it will be an OT or DE/OLB unless Mt. Cody is someone we want.

If both safeties go with both top OTs, we may just trade out of our top spot for more picks.

All I know is that I am excited about what next draft will bring. We also have some great opportunities for talented players in our area of need in FA.
It's think it's very evident that OL is our primary concern (both tackle and guard). We also need a safety.

I also think that we should give Nate Davis a shot so I'd hold off on drafting a QB.
Originally posted by pete98146:
It's think it's very evident that OL is our primary concern (both tackle and guard). We also need a safety.

I also think that we should give Nate Davis a shot so I'd hold off on drafting a QB.

I like the way you think. That's exactly what I've been trying to get across. For other posters, Shaun Hill gets dominated and suddenly it's all his fault.
I'd actually like to see us go with D on our first 2 picks. Right now were a good NFL D, but I think we still need to add some players to become that elite D. OT is very weak this years draft. OG, you don't use a 1st rounder typically. QB is another spot I don't want us to use a 1st pick on.

pick #8 (from Carolina): Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
-We've needed a pass rushing OLB since the first time we went to a 3-4. Haralson/Brooks are servicable, but if we want an elite D we need to grab Kindle.

Pick #18 (I'm not very optimistic after ATL): Darrell Stuckey, SS, Kansas
-I know some are clamouring for a RT, but this years crop of Ts is pretty weak and we shouldn't reach for one.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 13, 2009 at 16:01:49 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'd actually like to see us go with D on our first 2 picks. Right now were a good NFL D, but I think we still need to add some players to become that elite D. OT is very weak this years draft. OG, you don't use a 1st rounder typically. QB is another spot I don't want us to use a 1st pick on.

-We've needed a pass rushing OLB since the first time we went to a 3-4. Haralson/Brooks are servicable, but if we want an elite D we need to grab Kindle.

-I know some are clamouring for a RT, but this years crop of Ts is pretty weak and we shouldn't reach for one.

I like Sergio Kindle but I don't think I've seen him on the field as often lately. Some mocks have him in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I like Sergio Kindle but I don't think I've seen him on the field as often lately. Some mocks have him in the 2nd round.

I believe he has been injured.

Also, he has also moved from OLB to DE this year.

I think he will have a better 2nd half of the season as he adjusts. Great matchup against Oklahoma.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 13, 2009 at 16:25:18 ]

I believe he has been injured.

Ahh that makes sense. Take a look at Jerry Hughes too. He's a pass rushing menace as well.
trent williams and cj spiller!
Our 2 first rounders will be-Russel Okung, and Taylor Mays or Taylor Mays and Terrence Cody.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Our 2 first rounders will be-Russel Okung, and Taylor Mays or Taylor Mays and Terrence Cody.

I dont see any way that McCloughan would even consider drafting Terrence Cody... nor should he. Through the years McCloughan has shown that he simply refuses to spend high draft picks on players who are incapable of being able to stay on the field for 3rd downs.

[ Edited by abowers1984 on Oct 13, 2009 at 23:25:20 ]

are you implying that a) we're not a playoff team or b) that Mays will be available last in the first?

also, do you see QB as a position we wouldn't address?

Are you choosing Taylor Mays because Eric Berry will probably be off the board by the time we pick?
  • Luca
  • Veteran

I would like our draft to go down like that, but I don't think it's going to happen though.

Are you choosing Taylor Mays because Eric Berry will probably be off the board by the time we pick?

I choose Mays because I think he is a much better fit for our team at SS. I think he will step in immediately and be a top SS in the league, Berry is a stud no doubt but I see Mays as a much better pick for this team. That being said if Caronlina tanks and we get a top 3 pick I would not complain about picking up a stud like Berry. To answer Rollin's question, I think if we keep Hill in at QB we will not be a playoff team to be honest.