LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

Carlos Dunlap. 6'6 290 pounds 4.7 forty. Can't miss prospect.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I agree but we don't need a 3-4 end. Sure it couldn't hurt, but with J. Smith and 1st round pick Balmer it would make no sense. Unless he lost 20 pounds and became a beast 3-4 OLB
Originally posted by SmithGore:

I agree but we don't need a 3-4 end. Sure it couldn't hurt, but with J. Smith and 1st round pick Balmer it would make no sense. Unless he lost 20 pounds and became a beast 3-4 OLB

Too good of prospect to pass on. I look at this way. We can move him around the field. Dunlap, Smith, NT, Balmer // Haralson, Dunlap, NT, Smith // Haralson, Smith, NT, Dunlap. Look how the Giants move Justin Tuck around to create mismatches. If a defense can't find a role for a 6'6 290 pound freak we seriously have to question whether or not we want to run this defense. I don't think it's any different than trading for Peppers either.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM ]
Mays / Selvie
Mays / Hardy
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Any combination of Bradford, McCoy or Snead ( )

and

Taylor Mays, OLB Sergio Kindle, OLB George Selvie, NT Terrence Cody, OLB Greg Hardy, FS-Eric Berry
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SmithGore:

Too good of prospect to pass on. I look at this way. We can move him around the field. Dunlap, Smith, NT, Balmer // Haralson, Dunlap, NT, Smith // Haralson, Smith, NT, Dunlap. Look how the Giants move Justin Tuck around to create mismatches. If a defense can't find a role for a 6'6 290 pound freak we seriously have to question whether or not we want to run this defense. I don't think it's any different than trading for Peppers either.

I understand what your saying, but it's very different in a 3-4 and a 4-3. If we played in a 4-3 I would absolutely love him, and we could move so many different packages around him, but in a 3-4 the D-line is somewhat set, because you need a big NT and then there are just two ends, where he could move around between the two of those, but thats not really getting creative. The linebackers in a 3-4 is where you can make mismatches, by moving them all over the field based on each blitz package. I would like to draft a versatile LB who could move all over the field and get on the line in 4 down sets but in general 3-4 D-lines are much less creative than 4-3's. 3-4 backers are the key.
Dunlap could probably play as a 3-4 DE fairly easily because he's already 290, but I dunno how effective he'd still be.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
I think he could absolutely play 3-4 end, my point is that with balmer a first round pick last year and justin smith a great player drafting a first round end would not be great when we have big holes at NT, RT, OLB, CB, FS
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Any combination of:

Eric Berry/Taylor Mays/Morgan Burnett and George Selvie/Jarvis Jenkins*/Boo Robinson/Everson Griffin*/Brandon Graham/Terrence Cody

I got a strong feeling McCloughan will pass on Terrence Cody. I think he'll be scared off by his weight. But still would love to have him.

(My picks will probably change at the end of the season)
Mt Cody has lost some weight in an effort to make to coach keep him in on passing downs. And his size alone will require him to be doubled which is already an upgrade. The only way I see us passing is if Balmer makes the switch to NT and starts to own fouls.

As for FS it depends on how well or bad DG plays.

Same goes for QB

Pass rusher is almost a lock for next years first pick

Originally posted by solidg2000:
Mt Cody has lost some weight in an effort to make to coach keep him in on passing downs. And his size alone will require him to be doubled which is already an upgrade. The only way I see us passing is if Balmer makes the switch to NT and starts to own fouls.

As for FS it depends on how well or bad DG plays.

Same goes for QB

Pass rusher is almost a lock for next years first pick

• SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Any combination of:

Eric Berry/Taylor Mays/Morgan Burnett and George Selvie/Jarvis Jenkins*/Boo Robinson/Everson Griffin*/Brandon Graham/Terrence Cody

I got a strong feeling McCloughan will pass on Terrence Cody. I think he'll be scared off by his weight. But still would love to have him.

(My picks will probably change at the end of the season)

Add Brandon Lang onto that list of passrushers. Big fast atheltic OLB from Troy exactly in the D Ware mold
mays/cody
Bradford or McCoy, either one and were good.
Draft: Eric Berry & Jevan Snead

FA: Sign Merriman

* Im staying away from a NT in the draft at this point because I, first want to see what Sopoaga can do for us at NT in the one-gapping attacking version of the 3-4 that Manusky prefers... Seeing that this will be the first year that Soap will be playing his natural position with a more natural techinique - I think this might be his breakout year.
Share 49ersWebzone