There are 195 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

Originally posted by Sinsation:
we need to get Terrence Cody next yr. NEED. i think we have some guys that could fill the FS role. we have no one right now that can be a force like Cody can be. idc what it takes, if it means trading both #1's to get him...we NEED a NT like Cody. Here's to hoping Carolina gives us a top ten pick! :)

Wow - I can tell that the desire to get this guy is going get way out of control pretty quickly... Let me explain something - HE IS NOT A FIRST ROUNDER... and you want to trade both of our top picks to get him??? The guy is nothing more than a 2-down plug in the middle who actually got owned down the stretch last season - And if you're not a 3-down lineman, then McCloughan isnt selecting you in the 1st - simple as that.

NDAMUKONG SUH is the only NT worthy of 1st round consideration... and probably top 10 for that matter. How about we wait and see how SOAP does in a one-gap scheme this year before we jump to any conclusions.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
we need to get Terrence Cody next yr. NEED. i think we have some guys that could fill the FS role. we have no one right now that can be a force like Cody can be. idc what it takes, if it means trading both #1's to get him...we NEED a NT like Cody. Here's to hoping Carolina gives us a top ten pick! :)

Wow - I can tell that the desire to get this guy is going get way out of control pretty quickly... Let me explain something - HE IS NOT A FIRST ROUNDER... and you want to trade both of our top picks to get him??? The guy is nothing more than a 2-down plug in the middle who actually got owned down the stretch last season - And if you're not a 3-down lineman, then McCloughan isnt selecting you in the 1st - simple as that.

NDAMUKONG SUH is the only NT worthy of 1st round consideration... and probably top 10 for that matter. How about we wait and see how SOAP does in a one-gap scheme this year before we jump to any conclusions.

I somewhat agree with what you're saying as Cody, as of now, isn't a 3-down player in the NFL. Unless he can work on that this upcoming season, I don't know if we should select him with our first 1st-round pick. The one NT I would consider (after selecting Eric Berry of course) is Boo Robinson out of Wake Forest. 40+ tackles last year, 6 TFL, and 5 sacks.
can we slow down and what for the season to play out 1st
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I somewhat agree with what you're saying as Cody, as of now, isn't a 3-down player in the NFL. Unless he can work on that this upcoming season, I don't know if we should select him with our first 1st-round pick. The one NT I would consider (after selecting Eric Berry of course) is Boo Robinson out of Wake Forest. 40+ tackles last year, 6 TFL, and 5 sacks.

Ndamukong Suh (DT/NT - Nebraska):
Measurables: 6'3 1/2" 308lbs
2008 Stats: 76 tackles (led team) - 19 TFLs - 7.5 sacks - 2 ints (both returned for TDs)
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413Gsstr6WE
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
What about packaging them both up and sending them back to Carolina for one Julius Peppers? He fits a need area, we have a ton of cap space, and he is going to have a long and nasty hold out all summer from Carolina. Just a thought.
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
What about packaging them both up and sending them back to Carolina for one Julius Peppers? He fits a need area, we have a ton of cap space, and he is going to have a long and nasty hold out all summer from Carolina. Just a thought.

Not a good idea, to overpay for someone who wants to play OLB in a 3-4. His whole career he's play in a 4-3. Why overpay someone to learn a new position??

Keep the picks.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Is there any option where we wait to have some inkling of where we'll be drafting and who will be in the draft before we start making pronouncements?

...or wait to see if Aubrayo Franklin plays as well in 2009 as he did in the final 5 games of '08?

Ndamukong Suh (DT/NT - Nebraska):
Measurables: 6'3 1/2" 308lbs
2008 Stats: 76 tackles (led team) - 19 TFLs - 7.5 sacks - 2 ints (both returned for TDs)
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413Gsstr6WE

There's no questioning his talents, but would he play DE in our 3-4? I guess he has the frame to gain more weight and play NT.
  • dj43
Originally posted by nj49erfan:

Not a good idea, to overpay for someone who wants to play OLB in a 3-4. His whole career he's play in a 4-3. Why overpay someone to learn a new position??

Keep the picks.

Peppers is on the backside of his career. I fully expect to see his play drop noticeably this season. He isn't worth a single 2nd round pick considering his age.
Hey with all the money we didn't spend this off season we can afford two firsts next year.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I don't know what our record will be this year, but I know this: if we can get a star safety and a legit NT to pair with Patrick Willis, we WILL have the best defense in the league for the next 10 years. Think about that. I doubt either of our picks will be high enough to land someone like Eric Berry, but how about Taylor Mays or Morgan Burnett? Then with our other first round, we can get a NT like Terrance Cody. We will be set for the next 10 years. I know everyone wants a QB, but we will have a chance to become an absolutely dominant defense if we add a NT and FS in 2010 with our 2 picks. You can develop a QB. Look at Brady-6th rounder. Look at Romo-UDFA. Look at David Garrard-4th rounder. I'm not comparing those players but they're all pretty good QBs. But it's harder to build a truly dominant defense IMO then to have a flashy offense, and look who won the SB-the team with the dominant defense.

Sorry man, but the defense was okay last year. This franchise isn't going anywhere until they have an answer at QB.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I don't know what our record will be this year, but I know this: if we can get a star safety and a legit NT to pair with Patrick Willis, we WILL have the best defense in the league for the next 10 years. Think about that. I doubt either of our picks will be high enough to land someone like Eric Berry, but how about Taylor Mays or Morgan Burnett? Then with our other first round, we can get a NT like Terrance Cody. We will be set for the next 10 years. I know everyone wants a QB, but we will have a chance to become an absolutely dominant defense if we add a NT and FS in 2010 with our 2 picks. You can develop a QB. Look at Brady-6th rounder. Look at Romo-UDFA. Look at David Garrard-4th rounder. I'm not comparing those players but they're all pretty good QBs. But it's harder to build a truly dominant defense IMO then to have a flashy offense, and look who won the SB-the team with the dominant defense.

Sorry man, but the defense was okay last year. This franchise isn't going anywhere until they have an answer at QB.

We will see, I agree the defense was okay last year. Dont assume we dont have one on the roster already, Shaun Hill has played well each time hes gotten the chance. Im all for taking the BPA in next years draft.

P.S. No player sets any defense for 10 years, especially a NT.
Originally posted by bzborow1:

The defense was okay, but you can win against any team if you have a legit defense that's dominant. Defense wins championships. Before Brady became a star NE was winning championships because of their D, the Giants won because of their nasty pass rush puting Brady on his ass, the Bucs won a superbowl with Brad Johnson as the QB, the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer, 2004 Steelers won because of their D against a better QB, etc. I don't know for sure if we keep these 2 picks, but if we do then we have a chance to seriously build a 2000 Ravensesque defense.

Besides Shaun has played pretty well when given the chance, and we gave him more weapons with Crab, Jones, Coffee, and Norris. I think with Chilo and Staley maturing, and Marvel Smith signing, our OL will be solid for a while.
Damn, there's already a mock out. Have us pickin' 5th?! Eff that madness!!! Our pick will be in the late 20's. If we pick high it'll be with the Panthers' pick.

note: as a Cal fan it hurt to use this pic but damn, that's a nice shot.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
I'm kidding. We have approximately 360 days until the 2010 NFL Draft, and I'm all for the draft talk, especially when we have 2 first rounders, but I cannot hear people talking about Terrence Cody and Taylor Mays as if they are the 49ers saviors for the better part of a year. Of course I'm not going to simply say that and not back it up. So here we go.

Terrence Cody: everyone on the zone loves Cody or Mount Cody as you lovers call him for his "great size" listed at 6'5'' and 365. What many people don't realize is that his size is also his biggest weakness. The guy should probably be listed at around 385 after not eating for a week. The issue with a guy of that size is that he almost automatically becomes a two down player, which is a major issue. He has 5.5 speed at best and has limited to no pass rush moves. He is a huge player who got made to look better because he is on a defense that was great. He played worse and worse by the end of the season because no 380 pound man can hold up for 16 games, not to mention he has some injury problems. He was only a star prospect coming out of H.S. because besides his size(which can be his blessing or his poison) he has nothing going for him. He will attract the occasional double team in the pros due to his size, but he lacks the strength and push that he should have at 380. All in all, No two down player, with no control over his weight, and an extremely limited pass-rush repertoire should be a high first round pick, and should not go to a team, the 49ers, who do not have the luxury of drafting a two down player with BUST written all over his massive 400 pound body.

Taylor Mays: People see Taylor Mays at 6'3'' 235 and possible 4.35 speed and go goo-goo gah gah. He has amazing size, speed, and can lay the wood like few safety's can, the issue with his game is he lacks the most important element of an NFL Free safety's game. Ball Skills. The skill sets he posses are good, but only become great/useful when you combine them with the ball-hawking element that all great NFL FS's have. Mays had 1 INT in the last two years, and I don't want to hear that USC used to him deep to prevent the long pass. Look at the two best Safety's in the game, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, and you see guys who have a nose for the ball. Two guys who are always around the ball making plays with their amazing ball skills. you don't see off the chart size-speed combinations, Both are 5'10'' or 5'11'' 200-210 pounds and both ran in the low 4.5's. FS is a cover first position that should be judged based on ball-skills not speed and size.

My resolution: if you want to draft a NT and a FS in this years draft. Look into NDAMUKONG SUH and ERIC BERRY.
[ Edited by SmithGore on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone