There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we get PAT WHITE with the 74th pick???

I want him so bad!!! Pat White's demeanor is so strong as well. He is the only QB in NCAA history to start and win 4 bowl games. The WVU coach said he can only wish that is son will be half the man Pat White is.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Why do you guys want White? The guy is a running quarterback and he's not even that fast. He ran a 4.5 forty at the combine and he's not a very accomplished thrower. Big gamble if you ask me. Too high to take for someone who's going to only be used in the wild cat.

That shows how little you know about him.

hows he doin? Oh wait.
don't you have anything to do besides look up an old thread.
Well, I saw Pat White hit a bunch of receivers in the hands and I watched them drop a lot of balls, and one interception that was 100% on the receiver.

I also saw him make some plays with his feet when he needed to.

If you brought this thread up to some how take a jab at me, it's pretty clear that you either didn't watch the game, or that you really don't know anything about the game.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think a third is the highest we should consider for him.

I LOVE him as a player, but has Garcia ever made it to the Super Bowl? Flutie?

The very small quarterbacks have trouble SEEING through the monsters in front of them.

Even if you use the best short quarterbacks as a best case scenario, Pat White is not really a long term solution.
We already have a good, small, play-making quarterback who is not a long term solution with Hill.

If we draft a quarterback, we need to be thinking about someone with a higher overall potential.

excellent point, i wanted troy smith a few years back but because of his height the guy barely got drafted and he was a heisman winner
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think a third is the highest we should consider for him.

I LOVE him as a player, but has Garcia ever made it to the Super Bowl? Flutie?

The very small quarterbacks have trouble SEEING through the monsters in front of them.

Even if you use the best short quarterbacks as a best case scenario, Pat White is not really a long term solution.
We already have a good, small, play-making quarterback who is not a long term solution with Hill.

If we draft a quarterback, we need to be thinking about someone with a higher overall potential.

excellent point, i wanted troy smith a few years back but because of his height the guy barely got drafted and he was a heisman winner

Come on, that's not a good reason not to draft a guy. Is it really Jeff Garcias, or any other short QBs fault that their teams never played in a SB? Besides, Steve Young and Joe Montana were pretty short too.
Reports are not good so far, but he's still very early in his career. I just don't believe he can be an effective QB in the NFL. Nice kid, someone you've got to cheer for.
I don't think White will ever be a starting caliber QB in the NFL however it is very early in his career to write his chances off.

Some reports :

Quote:
Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said Thursday that rookie QB Pat White "has a lot of things he needs to work on" before he's ready to play.
The Dolphins are installing a "Pat Package" to take advantage of White's strengths while weeding out what he can't do. With White expected to play a Wildcat role, we're still not sure how the team will handle its QB situation on game days. Chad Henne is the clear No. 2, but he would have to be inactive to allow White to play.

Quote:
Running the scout team at Saturday's practice, Dolphins rookie Pat White completed just 11-of-26 passes with two interceptions.
He was 1-of-7 to wrap up the workout, so it isn't like he progressively got better. White will try to put this behind him in Monday's preseason opener, when he'll play extensively along with Chad Henne behind Chad Pennington.

Quote:
Dolphins beat writer Armando Salguero believes Pat White's struggles while working directly under center "must be addressed."
White, who played in a read-option spread offense at WVU, is clearly more suited to working out of the shotgun. Salguero writes that White is "uncomfortable" and "takes forever to get out from under center." With Chad Henne as the quarterback of the future and White clearly a project, it's hard to envision even long-term fantasy value for the rookie.
If you watched the dolphins play the other day, it was clear that White was throwing the ball better than Henne, and he has the added threat to run the ball.
Pat White will be a wildcat QB and be on the field a few plays a game. He will also contribute on special teams. Thats it. The guy is not going to be their everydown QB either as a starter or their prime backup. I still think he was drafted way too high.
If you watched the dolphins play the other day, it was clear that White was throwing the ball better than Henne, and he has the added threat to run the ball.

Originally posted by KRS-1:

It was obvious. Henne was forcing passes and generally didn't look good. White was more natural, was hitting the open receiver and turned several sacks into positive yardage plays. Had this receiver caught the balls that bounced off their hands, he would have had a much better stat line.

And no John, he's not going to play on special teams or any place other than QB. He hasn't worked at any of those places at all, the Dolphins have no plans to move him.

It was obvious. Henne was forcing passes and generally didn't look good. White was more natural, was hitting the open receiver and turned several sacks into positive yardage plays. Had this receiver caught the balls that bounced off their hands, he would have had a much better stat line.

And no John, he's not going to play on special teams or any place other than QB. He hasn't worked at any of those places at all, the Dolphins have no plans to move him.

OK.. perhaps I was wrong about special teams. However, I think his main contribution for now and the foreseeable future is as a part time wild cat QB.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

OK.. perhaps I was wrong about special teams. However, I think his main contribution for now and the foreseeable future is as a part time wild cat QB.

I never claimed that he wouldn't need time to develop, but you really can't deny the talent that is there, and everything that people have criticized is things that are either coachable or just require reps to get comfort.