There are 138 users in the forums

Can we get PAT WHITE with the 74th pick???

• krizay
  • Veteran
I can see it now, RB in the 1st. Then go Pat White in the 3rd?

It would by far be the most painful draft i'd ever endure!
Originally posted by krizay:
I can see it now, RB in the 1st. Then go Pat White in the 3rd?

It would by far be the most painful draft i'd ever endure!

I wouldn't count out RB in the 1st, hopefully it's after we trade down though.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think a third is the highest we should consider for him.

I LOVE him as a player, but has Garcia ever made it to the Super Bowl? Flutie?

The very small quarterbacks have trouble SEEING through the monsters in front of them.

Even if you use the best short quarterbacks as a best case scenario, Pat White is not really a long term solution.
We already have a good, small, play-making quarterback who is not a long term solution with Hill.

If we draft a quarterback, we need to be thinking about someone with a higher overall potential.

THere isn't a QB in the draft with a higher ceiling than White.

Josh Freeman has a very high ceiling. and at 6ft 190 who knows if white would ever make it to that ceiling playing QB?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Patriots brought him in for two seperate visits and Mike Tomlin really likes him. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets nabbed up by one of those teams, or like I said before the Jags.

If you insert him into out QB competiton however, he has a chance to play here right away.

At 190 some pounds, and a QB who has no experience in a pro style offense whose footwork is mediocre at best and will need to learn to take snaps under center and be comfortable with it. He also needs to work on his accuracy. He is a developmental QB and would not be in the mix to start at all from day 1. He would see a few snaps a game in the wildcat and the rest of the time he would be picking splinters out of his ass.

Well, actually he's nearly 6-1 and the WVU offense in 2008 wasn't gimmicky, and he hammer Oklahoma taking about half the snaps out of the I formation. I'm not sure you've ever actually watched him.

Actually he measured at 6'0 1/4 which is closer to 6 feet than 6'1. And as you know he played in a spread offense which many consider a gimmick offense.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Why do you guys want White? The guy is a running quarterback and he's not even that fast. He ran a 4.5 forty at the combine and he's not a very accomplished thrower. Big gamble if you ask me. Too high to take for someone who's going to only be used in the wild cat.

That shows how little you know about him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yes we can, but in all honesty, I don't think we should.

Not to degrade White's ability, I simply would not peg him as anywhere near the BPA for us.

I agree.

Also, with the past picks of A. Battle, M. Robinson, I would much rather pick players that have TRUE positions in the NFL. Especially in the 3rd.
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yes we can, but in all honesty, I don't think we should.

Not to degrade White's ability, I simply would not peg him as anywhere near the BPA for us.

I agree.

Also, with the past picks of A. Battle, M. Robinson, I would much rather pick players that have TRUE positions in the NFL. Especially in the 3rd.

I agree with that 100%. That is actually one reason that I worry about taking a college DE and trying to project him into a 3-4 OLB and use a first round pick. I know it has been successfully done many times but there is always a risk with it.
We're clearly not in a position to even consider Pat White in the 3rd or any other round, White is the kind of guy that is destined for a team heading for the playoffs next year as he's a luxury pick, we need guys who can come in and compete from day 1 in this draft in my opinion, will be an interesting draft for sure.... this time tomorrow!!! woo hoo!
We can probably get Pat White in the 5th.
  • RLB78
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RLB78:
Sorry, not a fan of drafting P.White. I think there are a number of players I would take over him, unless they think he can be an elite returner. As a QB prospect I wouldn't take him earlier than rnd 5/6. I know there is a lot of hype around him, but I don't see it. THis kid played in a gimmicky offense in college and isn't 6ft tall, IMO he won't be starting at QB for anyone... ever.

Well, actually he's nearly 6-1 and the WVU offense in 2008 wasn't gimmicky, and he hammer Oklahoma taking about half the snaps out of the I formation. I'm not sure you've ever actually watched him.

If you think gimmicky is too strong a word, that's fine. I'm not going to split hairs and it's really a matter of opinion. They certainly weren't a pro-style offense, and I'm not sure that running out of the I-formation against Oklahoma's porous defense really means much.

I'll give you that he's a shade over 6 ft tall, should have looked at the combine numbers, but 6-0.25 isn't nearly 6-1, and it certainly isn't 6-3+. He's not touching 6-3+ even in heels, that's the point. No way he's the answer at QB.
[ Edited by RLB78 on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM ]

Sorry, not a fan of drafting P.White. I think there are a number of players I would take over him, unless they think he can be an elite returner. As a QB prospect I wouldn't take him earlier than rnd 5/6. I know there is a lot of hype around him, but I don't see it. THis kid played in a gimmicky offense in college and isn't 6ft tall, IMO he won't be starting at QB for anyone... ever.

If you think gimmicky is too strong a word, that's fine. I'm not going to split hairs and it's really a matter of opinion. They certainly weren't a pro-style offense, and I'm not sure that running out of the I-formation against Oklahoma's porous defense really means much.

I'll give you that he's a shade over 6 ft tall, should have looked at the combine numbers, but 6-0.25 isn't nearly 6-1, and it certainly isn't 6-3+. He's not touching 6-3+ even in heels, that's the point. No way he's the answer at QB.

Joe Montana and Steve Young were both short.
I think Pat White's a terrific player...but, I'm not sure what his position will be in the NFL. Long odds to be a QB...so wildcat seems to be the closest to his thing to start with. I've got us taking Rashad Jennings in the 3rd...because he's the kind of RB compliment we need for Gore. He does everything well...and has deceptive speed for a guy his size.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Joe Montana and Steve Young were both short.

Joe & Steve were both 6"2, so according to you they were closer to 6"3 (because according to you 6"0 1/4 = 6"1).
Patriots brought him in for two seperate visits and Mike Tomlin really likes him. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets nabbed up by one of those teams, or like I said before the Jags.

If you insert him into out QB competiton however, he has a chance to play here right away.

McC has already stated any QB's drafted will sit initially. Would that change considering Whites skills?
Originally posted by WINiner:

McC has already stated any QB's drafted will sit initially. Would that change considering Whites skills?

Again, never said he would start, just that he would push those two.
Share 49ersWebzone