LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

NFL: Your #1 Pick (Draft Strategy Thread)

Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I got first overall pick in one league and I am debating rather I go with Rodgers/McCoy

Id go with Rodgers..
Andy Reid said they plan on limiting McCoy's workload cause he thought they overrused him last season

Think I'm going to go with Rodgers. I told everyone I was drafting shady McCoy but I am going to mind f**k them. Hopefully sproles falls back to me.
I would go with Rodgers but it is worth looking into drafting a RB early since there are not a ton of great running backs....is McCoy you're number 1 RB? I think Foster is worthy of a 1st pick as well.

If you go with McCoy you should be able to grab someone like Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton late in the 2nd...or even Greg Jennings. Available RBs in the late 2nd/early 3rd rounds are guys like Jamaal Charles, Stephen Jackson, Sproles, etc.

The best RBs fall off the boards pretty quick
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Jul 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM ]
I love going running back early. That's a position were I always regret getting my 3rd or 4th choice.

Foster would be my guy but if you take him you need Tate as well.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Anyone who doesn't take Foster #1 is an idiot!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
foster
mcfadden
stafford

(61 total points per game last year)

better than

rodgers
murray
mcfadden

(53 total points per game last year)

I don't know the average draft positions. I'm basing this off of the most recent draft in a 12 team ant sports mock.
If I had the number one pick today then I would probably go with Foster just because you will be able to get a decent QB in later rounds, but I think you can make the case for drafting Rodgers just because of his consistency...Rodgers scored over 20 fantasy points in 14/15 games last season....there's not many RBs that will give you that week after week. But if you do go with Rodgers and leave Foster on the board you will have to settle for a pretty mediocre #1 #2 RBs....I will definitely be doing a lot of mocks this year.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Jul 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM ]
To the guy doing the auction league #1 rule of thumb Is when its your turn to throw out a guys name.. never throw out the guy you want The most. Throw out guys that you know other people will want more and bid them up . This way by the time your guys name gets thrown out there u will have more money than everyone else and can focus on getting your guys cheaper
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eamjr10:
If I had the number one pick today then I would probably go with Foster just because you will be able to get a decent QB in later rounds, but I think you can make the case for drafting Rodgers just because of his consistency...Rodgers scored over 20 fantasy points in 14/15 games last season....there's not many RBs that will give you that week after week. But if you do go with Rodgers and leave Foster on the board you will have to settle for a pretty mediocre #1 #2 RBs....I will definitely be doing a lot of mocks this year.

You can make a case for 3 QBs.
Rodgers, Brady and Brees going #1.

Cam, if he can cut down the TOs can be in the group easily. Running and Throwing.
Matt Stafford could go there too if he can turn the ball over less.

first mock draft from NFL.com :-/
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Michael Turner is a solid pick in round 4.
Is this a PPR league? How many teams?

What was your strategy?
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM ]

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
All depends on the scoring system.
Just completed my first Mock Draft....It's setup on a 10 team, standard ESPN Scoring

POS-NAME-Draft Position

QB- Aaron Rodgers (1)
RB- Marshawn Lynch (20)
RB- Darren Sproles (40)
WR- Greg Jennings (21)
WR- Steve Smith (41)
WR- Steve Johnson (60)
TE- Vernon Davis (61)
D/ST- Packers
K-Garett Hartley

Bench:
C.J. Spiller
Robert Meachem
Santonio Holmes
Daniel Thomas
Heyward-Bey
Joseph Addai

A few notes:
I went with Rodgers #1 just to see what kind of RBs would fall to me in the later rounds.

Like it has been stated in this thread the RBs get pretty scary after the 1st Round (actually after the top 4 guys are gone).

I got Lynch at 20, but I doubt that would happen very often as his ADP is probably closer to 16-18...but could fall to 20. I liked getting Sproles in the 4th, but once again I think he will be gone before that in most drafts (mid to late 3rd)...which makes me even less confident about the talent of RBs in these rounds.

WRs are pretty deep this season, I picked up Jennings in the 3rd and Steve Smith in the 4th, and even got Steve Johnson in the 6th.

I still need to do more homework on the later rounds 10-14...a lot of guys I was unsure about and was scrambling quite a bit....hope to be able to pull a sleeper in these rounds.

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Just completed my first Mock Draft....It's setup on a 10 team, standard ESPN Scoring

POS-NAME-Draft Position

QB- Aaron Rodgers (1)
RB- Marshawn Lynch (20)
RB- Darren Sproles (40)
WR- Greg Jennings (21)
WR- Steve Smith (41)
WR- Steve Johnson (60)
TE- Vernon Davis (61)
D/ST- Packers
K-Garett Hartley

Bench:
C.J. Spiller
Robert Meachem
Santonio Holmes
Daniel Thomas
Heyward-Bey
Joseph Addai

A few notes:
I went with Rodgers #1 just to see what kind of RBs would fall to me in the later rounds.

Like it has been stated in this thread the RBs get pretty scary after the 1st Round (actually after the top 4 guys are gone).

I got Lynch at 20, but I doubt that would happen very often as his ADP is probably closer to 16-18...but could fall to 20. I liked getting Sproles in the 4th, but once again I think he will be gone before that in most drafts (mid to late 3rd)...which makes me even less confident about the talent of RBs in these rounds.

WRs are pretty deep this season, I picked up Jennings in the 3rd and Steve Smith in the 4th, and even got Steve Johnson in the 6th.

I still need to do more homework on the later rounds 10-14...a lot of guys I was unsure about and was scrambling quite a bit....hope to be able to pull a sleeper in these rounds.

I think WRs will be readily available in the latter rounds as you said, because everyone will be snatching up elite QBs and RBs in first 2 rounds.

You have a solid team. I think Heyward-Bey is going to be pretty good this year
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Just joined an 2 auction drafts.
will post my experience. Don't know if ill post my strategy considering my competition views this s**t.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Michael Turner is a solid pick in round 4.
Is this a PPR league? How many teams?

What was your strategy?

Just kinda build up on running backs. 10 teams btw, and yeah it is.

here is another one. I didnt finish this one cuz i got lazy, and i didnt give a s**t about a kicker really.

Running backs got cleaned out on this one

Share 49ersWebzone