LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

The Webzone Unchosen Fantasy Baseball League ***POST YOUR ROSTER***

I've only ever played head to head, so that gets my vote.
I have no preference between H2H and Roto. It's my experience that H2H works better at getting everyone involved in the league, as it keeps a large amount of s**ttalking going on...but Roto is clearly the most objective way of keeping score, and thus ensure the best team wins. I'm torn. Either one is fine by me.
I have played both and I am also ok with either.
The reason I'm against Head to head is because it opens up a whle can of worms of manipulating a system, such as punting categories etc. Here are soem aricles talking about various cheat methods.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/head-to-head-thoughts-and-strategy/

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Head-to-Head-Strategy-the-Distler-School-of-Man?urn=fantasy,73551

This method is based around loading up on pitchers and steals and ignoring all other categories thus guaranteeing a 6-4 win every week. If done right (necessary for any team in fb) this can be very very effective since pitchers are valued way less than hitters in fantasy baseball.

This method can be defeated by playing only middle relievers that week and getting the minimum required innings for that week thus taking away ERA and WHIP from the cheater.

While head to head leagues are much more competitive, they also can be easily manipulated to fit the system and doesn't really prove who the best team is. In roto, this method would be absolutely disastrous however.

I also don't like how a few bad weeks in the playoffs can ruin a great season.

Again I like the competitive aspect of head to head and would be willing to do it if everyone swore that they would not punt categories and would instead create their teams as if they were playing a roto league.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 1, 2009 at 14:50:36 ]
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
The reason I'm against Head to head is because it opens up a whle can of worms of manipulating a system, such as punting categories etc. Here are soem aricles talking about various cheat methods.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/head-to-head-thoughts-and-strategy/

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Head-to-Head-Strategy-the-Distler-School-of-Man?urn=fantasy,73551

This method is based around loading up on pitchers and steals and ignoring all other categories thus guaranteeing a 6-4 win every week. If done right (necessary for any team in fb) this can be very very effective since pitchers are valued way less than hitters in fantasy baseball.

This method can be defeated by playing only middle relievers that week and getting the minimum required innings for that week thus taking away ERA and WHIP from the cheater.

While head to head leagues are much more competitive, they also can be easily manipulated to fit the system and doesn't really prove who the best team is. In roto, this method would be absolutely disastrous however.

Again I like the competitive aspect of head to head and would be willing to do it if everyone swore that they would not punt categories and would instead create their teams as if they were playing a roto league.

I think I dislike both methods now.

Originally posted by dman:

what method have you used in the past? I don't mean to scare anybody.
  • dman
  • Veteran

h 2 h

and yes i was a victim of this manipulation as i lost in the finals to a guy that would add/drop all week to ensure he had guys playing and pitching everyday

not sure how to counteract this, but id rather do h 2 h if everyone can play nice!
  • Brew
  • Veteran

h 2 h

and yes i was a victim of this manipulation as i lost in the finals to a guy that would add/drop all week to ensure he had guys playing and pitching everyday

not sure how to counteract this, but id rather do h 2 h if everyone can play nice!

that's is why you limit the number of pick ups and drop offs a manager can make to 7 per week.
Yeah, if we do H2H I'd suggest either an add/drop limit per week or an add/drop limit for the year. That will keep people from doing that sort of thing.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nipplehead:
Yeah, if we do H2H I'd suggest either an add/drop limit per week or an add/drop limit for the year. That will keep people from doing that sort of thing.

i vote per week. 1 day. so 7

h 2 h

That method is called streaming. And yes I will be imposing an add drop limit, imo 7 moves is too lenient as it still allows significant wiggle room to add and drop pitchers. I'm thinking 4, and maybe 5 at most.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
h 2 h

That method is called streaming. And yes I will be imposing an add drop limit, imo 7 moves is too lenient as it still allows significant wiggle room to add and drop pitchers. I'm thinking 4, and maybe 5 at most.

ok then 5.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Lemme just say this.

Fantasy baseball depends a lot on players who are cold and players who are hot. In any given week more than 1 will have a hot streak in the waiver wire that we'd like to pick up.

Just keep that in mind when setting the limit.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Tentative team name:

Can Aybar A Feeling?
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Tentative team name:

Can Aybar A Feeling?

Share 49ersWebzone