LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 201 users in the forums

Did the Golden State Warriors ruin basketball?

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
dude doesn't miss. It will take an injury or getting paid and lazy to stop him. Even if Ciry

Posted before that 35 footer a few days ago FYI.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by binarythird:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I haven't heard one analyst say the warriors ruined basketball.

The real discussion is has the game changed for the better or for worse. Many people think today's game is worse for a lot of reasons. The people who think iso basketball is dying are pretty much wrong. NBA analysts said the other day that only like 6-7 teams run something other than an iso type system (GS is one that doesn't run it). Nobody knows the impact this will have on younger generation players yet. Will they copy Steph Curry? Can't say. But not many people could if they wanted to.

All I know is there is only about 5 teams worth watching right now. That sucks. That is why a lot of old timers are talking s**t. There isnt much to watch outside GS and a handful of other teams.

Many people? Those old-timers are usually dumb ones though. If you listen to smart ones like Kareem or Walton or people with intelligence, they will usually tell you different. What we are seeing is amazing team ball. People want to glorify the Jordan era, but the Jordan era was a crappy expansion league with also only about 6 teams worth watching lol. If you go back and watch those games, they are slow, plodding, and full of iso ball. Those players simply would get ran off the court in today's game, and they weren't nearly as skilled . People say that era had real defense, but those Knicks were dirty and cheap, and those Pistons from back then were totally out of line and out to injure.

The teams that are good are playing good team ball right now, and that's where the league is going. Dinosaurs will get left in the dust, and the world. The league is in a really great place right now. The WORST era was the post-Jordan era, which was full of wannabe Jordan's and iso balls and Iversons, and other such garbage; the league was unwatchable then and it's a great thing that we've broken out of that.

Again, if you want to talk about a league with declining quality, talk football or baseball. Baseball is straight up zzzzzzzzz to most of the younger generation.

Agreed! Warriors are just downright fun to watch! A lot of teams just put a snoozefest out on the court, whereas ball movement and sound defensive strategy have prevailed for the warriors. If anything, I think it may help basketball. You may see more people playing the sport when they are younger because if they have great moves and a great shot, they won't just give up because they are not over 6'5". Basketball is one of those sports which is mostly limited to extremely tall individuals.

The warriors emphasis on "small ball" may encourage more people that are closer to 6' to play the sport. With more people playing, more will have an interest in watching the NBA. Couple that with the violence and greed of the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA pass the NFL one day.

Lol. I don't agree with either of you. It's not that they were dirty, it was hand checking was allowed. Without hand checking, it is way easier to score.

And old timers aren't dumb, they just have a different opinion than you so you don't agree. I agree they sound salty as f**k though.
Well, in a way they have ruined it. They've ruined it for all non-Warrior NBA fans. They've ruined it for bitter old-timers. They've ruined it for Charles Barkley.
Nope.

The NBA needed this.

Kobe leaving, the Lakers sucking, Boston sucking, Knicks sucking, Bulls sucky, Lebron aging etc..
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Nope.

The NBA needed this.

Kobe leaving, the Lakers sucking, Boston sucking, Knicks sucking, Bulls sucky, Lebron aging etc..

TV ratings say otherwise.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-wrong-with-the-nbas-tv-ratings-1450744363
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope.

The NBA needed this.

I don't have a subscription.
Nope.

The NBA needed this.

I can't stand f**king sites that do that s**t.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Nope.

The NBA needed this.

I can't stand f**king sites that do that s**t.

I don't get it.

It is 2016 and there is free access to the same news pretty much everywhere.
I think that April Fools joke they pulled on Festus was pretty mean - making a guy think he's been fired - whoa. It was definitely well-played though.
They are ruining the game for me.

Once you watch a Warriors game, you just can't go back. I've watched a lot less basketball this year because the Warriors have made other match ups look so boring to watch.

The Warriors are actually making the NBA watchable.

Isolation basketball and "throw it down low in the paint" basketball is f**king boring and slow.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Isolation basketball and "throw it down low in the paint" basketball is f**king boring and slow.

That's how they are ruining basketball. They make all other games boring to watch.
They totally ruined it. The NBA is not competitive at all anymore. You already know who is going to win. That is boring to watch.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

That's how they are ruining basketball. They make all other games boring to watch.

I was referring to their style of play, its not their fault the rest of the NBA is boring.
being a laker fan, i appreciated the triangle offense, appreciated the back to basket type offense, but GSW is really fun to watch. the fans should be proud. and D Green is hilarious.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone