LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Did the Golden State Warriors ruin basketball?

There have been many commentaries stating that the Golden State Warriors, esp. Steph Curry, have ruined basketball in the way it's played. With Curry launching shots after shots behind the 3 point lines, a lot of pundits are saying they are teaching the newer players, youngsters even, to just launch the ball anywhere in the field.

I, for one, do not agree with the assessment and believe that the team is playing their own style of ball, that they actually made the game better to watch (again, just my opinion). What about you guys, what do you think?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I remember something along the same lines being said years ago with Michael Jordan. Essentially, the idea was that kids were only going to dunk the ball and thus shooting would go down. Of course, MJ was much more of a shooter than folks gave him credit for back then, but I think it is the same basic idea. Steph and the rest of the Warriors are having an impact on basketball in a positive way, in my opinion. They pass well, they can defend, they are unselfish. They are a great team that just might have an all-time player on the squad. Will some kids that can't shoot a lick start shooting from beyond the arch? Probably. But I suspect those that keep playing will find their place with their skill set. Basketball does not need a copycat league full of Warriors wannabes. We need the Spurs and the Cavs of the world. You need diversity in the game.
I've heard Mr. Bitter Marc Jackson say that about Steph, but do people say that about the entire team? Obviously, its jealous rubbish. No need to even discuss really. What a joke.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I play pickup a couple times a month and these kids are taking retarded shots now. Obviosuly, its pickup so its not too serious, but I can def see a change in shot selection. Playing with older guys my age is ok, but if a teenager is playing they're pretty much just jacking s**t up. I guess it makes playing D easier since they usually cant shoot for s**t.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Discussions like this are going to look ridiculous if the Warriors get upset in the playoffs by the Spurs, Cavs, or Thunder.

I mean the Warriors are a great team, but they're only 2.5 games better than the San Antonio Spurs. It's not like they've broken the entire sport of basketball or something.
[ Edited by crzy on Mar 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
We've definitely seen this before though ...

That Lew Alcindor guy is just too damn good, let's make the slam dunk illegal
Originally posted by crzy:
Discussions like this are going to look ridiculous if the Warriors get upset in the playoffs by the Spurs, Cavs, or Thunder.

I mean the Warriors are a great team, but they're only 2.5 games better than the San Antonio Spurs. It's not like they've broken the entire sport of basketball or something.

Exactly. Losing to any of those teams would not be a shock to me at all as they are all VERY strong and capable of beating anyone.. This conversation is ridiculous in my opinion.
[ Edited by kidash98 on Mar 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM ]
I wouldn't say the GSW did, there are plenty of teams in the NBA that shoot 3s, and they were doing it before GSW. Curry on the other hand, I think he couldl be responsible for all these kids that are gonna be taking 30 foot 3s. However, Curry is such a special shooter that I don't think you can replicate so kids might shy away from that. Same with Kareem back in the day, everybody was trying to do the skyhook, but that didn't mean they could it.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Mar 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM ]
  • Jiks
Yup. Illegal screens are no longer against the rules for them.

It's all Steph.

When he went down last year the Warriors lost games.

You can't "Detroit Piston" a dude anymore so "contract hits" are out.
Everyone else trying to jack shots like the Warriors are ruining the game of basketball. They have the two best shooters in the league on the same team and a couple of other solid 3 point shooters as well. They weren't trained by the Warriors to shoot the way they do, their game plans are simply built around their style of play.
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM ]
Started with phoenix a decade ago. They didn't play D so they never made it to the finals. Warriors took it to the next level because they can actually defend
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
started back at the beginning of the 21st century when the refs started taking over playoff games for a certain LA team with two superstars contracted to Pepsi and many other corporate NBA sponsors.
Originally posted by boast:
started back at the beginning of the 21st century when the refs started taking over playoff games for a certain LA team with two superstars contracted to Pepsi and many other corporate NBA sponsors.

here we go again. everything is a f**king conspiracy...
Share 49ersWebzone