There are 144 users in the forums

Did the Golden State Warriors ruin basketball?

Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by susweel:
basketball pretty much sucks now but its not the warriors fault.

It's because the league has watered-down talent. Only five teams are really competitive.

If they wanted to improve the quality of the NBA product, they would get rid of 14 teams, and shorten the season to 60 games.

The league has never been more profitable for the owners and the players. Nothing is going to change.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by susweel:
basketball pretty much sucks now but its not the warriors fault.

It's because the league has watered-down talent. Only five teams are really competitive.

If they wanted to improve the quality of the NBA product, they would get rid of 14 teams, and shorten the season to 60 games.

The league has never been more profitable for the owners and the players. Nothing is going to change.

Well that won't stop me from complaining
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Well most of them went too far, but the discussion has some merit.

b. The center position is becoming obsolete. Even guys like Shaq say it wont come back to the dominant post big man type player unless a kid from up above says he wants to be a post player. Big men now a days want to be versatile and shoot, not sit in the paint.

This one is Dirk's fault ( ).

  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
lol, just wait until the next Shaq or Duncan enters the league in 5-15 years, and we'll be talking about how it's a big man's game again.

then teams will quit with all this Stretch 4 nonsense and go back to trying to acquire the next Shaq.
Originally posted by crzy:
lol, just wait until the next Shaq or Duncan enters the league in 5-15 years, and we'll be talking about how it's a big man's game again.

then teams will quit with all this Stretch 4 nonsense and go back to trying to acquire the next Shaq.

The problem with that theory is that any big man that talented will come out after their freshman year and not be close to dominating the way Shaq and Duncan were able to. There will never be a Duncan or David Robinson that can fight the urge for big money and stay in school for 4 years. Big men need that time to develop their skills.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop.

Hasn't changed as far as a I can tell. If 'pundits' wanna bag on the way the Warriors do it, let em. They are just making themselves look like chumps.

lol it hasnt changed? Its barely recognizable from how it was even 20 years ago.

Todays game is all pace and space. Either drive the paint or kick it out for a 3.

It used to be that they played a more strategic half court game where you set up plays, and put the ball in the hands of your big men down low to score in the post. The fundamentals of the game are as sloppy as ever now that nobody plays more than 1 or 2 years of college.

IMO the NBA is going in the route of entertaining the casual and simple minded fan. Big dunks, 3 pointers, flashy, fast paced offense, etc. The All-Star game has become a total joke. The dunk contest is a circus with stupid props and ad placement, and the game itself is just guys goofing around taking bad shots.

Its making big money, so theyll keep going with it, but IMO the product is much worse than it used to be. The Warriors are a great team, but their spotlight is just hiding the mediocrity of most of the league.
For a little perspective on just how much things have changed. At times in the 97/98 season the spurs started a front line of David Robinson, Will Perdue and Tim Duncan
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop.

Hasn't changed as far as a I can tell. If 'pundits' wanna bag on the way the Warriors do it, let em. They are just making themselves look like chumps.

lol it hasnt changed? Its barely recognizable from how it was even 20 years ago.

Todays game is all pace and space. Either drive the paint or kick it out for a 3.

It used to be that they played a more strategic half court game where you set up plays, and put the ball in the hands of your big men down low to score in the post. The fundamentals of the game are as sloppy as ever now that nobody plays more than 1 or 2 years of college.

IMO the NBA is going in the route of entertaining the casual and simple minded fan. Big dunks, 3 pointers, flashy, fast paced offense, etc. The All-Star game has become a total joke. The dunk contest is a circus with stupid props and ad placement, and the game itself is just guys goofing around taking bad shots.

Its making big money, so theyll keep going with it, but IMO the product is much worse than it used to be. The Warriors are a great team, but their spotlight is just hiding the mediocrity of most of the league.

The object remains the same though, Put the biscuit in the basket.
Nope they haven't ruined basketball
[ Edited by BarrySandwich on Mar 7, 2016 at 6:08 PM ]
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
Nope they haven't ruined basketball

Hayne should play some 2 guard.

Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Hayne should play some 2 guard.

lol
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop.

Hasn't changed as far as a I can tell. If 'pundits' wanna bag on the way the Warriors do it, let em. They are just making themselves look like chumps.

lol it hasnt changed? Its barely recognizable from how it was even 20 years ago.

Todays game is all pace and space. Either drive the paint or kick it out for a 3.

It used to be that they played a more strategic half court game where you set up plays, and put the ball in the hands of your big men down low to score in the post. The fundamentals of the game are as sloppy as ever now that nobody plays more than 1 or 2 years of college.

IMO the NBA is going in the route of entertaining the casual and simple minded fan. Big dunks, 3 pointers, flashy, fast paced offense, etc. The All-Star game has become a total joke. The dunk contest is a circus with stupid props and ad placement, and the game itself is just guys goofing around taking bad shots.

Its making big money, so theyll keep going with it, but IMO the product is much worse than it used to be. The Warriors are a great team, but their spotlight is just hiding the mediocrity of most of the league.

The object remains the same though, Put the biscuit in the basket.

Yet the way the game is played is way different.

If the object was still to get the ball into the endzone, would football be the same game if they were kicking the ball around like soccer?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop.

Hasn't changed as far as a I can tell. If 'pundits' wanna bag on the way the Warriors do it, let em. They are just making themselves look like chumps.

lol it hasnt changed? Its barely recognizable from how it was even 20 years ago.

Todays game is all pace and space. Either drive the paint or kick it out for a 3.

It used to be that they played a more strategic half court game where you set up plays, and put the ball in the hands of your big men down low to score in the post. The fundamentals of the game are as sloppy as ever now that nobody plays more than 1 or 2 years of college.

IMO the NBA is going in the route of entertaining the casual and simple minded fan. Big dunks, 3 pointers, flashy, fast paced offense, etc. The All-Star game has become a total joke. The dunk contest is a circus with stupid props and ad placement, and the game itself is just guys goofing around taking bad shots.

Its making big money, so theyll keep going with it, but IMO the product is much worse than it used to be. The Warriors are a great team, but their spotlight is just hiding the mediocrity of most of the league.

The object remains the same though, Put the biscuit in the basket.

Yet the way the game is played is way different.

If the object was still to get the ball into the endzone, would football be the same game if they were kicking the ball around like soccer?

Axe's point was the object remains the same, not how it is done. Nobody is saying the game hasn't evolved.
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Mar 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 165,780
you think in 96 people asked if the bulls ruined basketball?
WT
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone