LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

The Rugby Union General Discussion thread

Hey, 4x4... The Highlanders got in on the Lion hunting action too...

Brilliant game *****

PS.... The Saders couldn't

And... Neither could the Maori & the Chiefs.... Lions looking legit.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 22, 2017 at 6:21 AM ]
Teams for the first test

All Blacks: Ben Smith, Israel Dagg, Ryan Crotty, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Nathan Harris, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden, Anton Lienert-Brown

Lions: Liam Williams, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Davies, Ben Te'o, Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell, Conor Murray, Taulupe Faletau, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony (captain), George Kruis, Alun Wyn Jones, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Mako Vunipola. Reserves: Ken Owens, Jack McGrath, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Sam Warburton, Rhys Webb, Johnny Sexton, Leigh Halfpenny

~~~~~~~~~~

Rieko's in the team (Well done)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congrats to the New Zealand U20s... Deserving Champions...

Stacked team with a lot of talent, maybe the best U20s team I've ever seen.

Caleb Clarke, the son of Eroni Clarke, really caught the eye out on the wing.

As did...

Asafo Aumua the barnstorming hooker (Bit of Dane Coles about him)

Will Jordan the electric fullback

Braydon Ennor at centre

Tiaan Falcon at first-five-eight was impressive too.

Tbf the whole team showed potential. Gonna be fun seeing how some of these guys go in the pros.

[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 22, 2017 at 6:18 AM ]
Yeah, landers and the blues had a great win but i suppose the Lions were still feeling their way where as the superclub teams are still hot. Ihaia's solo try thanx to SBW 's offload and before sonnys was another breaking offload to SBW cant remember who it was? Ihaia reminds me off a young dagg.

Under 20s was superb indeed sporto they did a haka against?? Where both teams just stood there facing each other down (remember AB's vs Wales stare down, 2015???) Good win, potentials thru and thru for next generation.

Now to tonights game! Waddya reckon??? AB's or Lions??? Im feeling to the Lions a bit as they are huge muthaf**king giants, our boys have got their work cut out for them, the ABs must change from a lambhourgini to a supercharged mack truck with an isis suicide vest to beat these b*****ds.

Lions win by a penalty. I hope I'm wrong sporto.
Really this is what I reckon will happen.

1st Test

1. Lions actually i believe will have a blow out win by 10 points or more because theyre hungry to beat down the ABs and show their full mettle full acceleration by them.

The ABs will be in a backward defensive mode against an unrelenting lions attack.

2nd Test

Will be a draw, ABs fight alot harder after some personnel changes and a new strategy.

Score 10 all.

3rd Test

ABs just make a last minute win after an injury or two, Lions pour in the mauls for the final 10minutes but ABs hold to a scrappy game.

Conclusion

All three tests will be a scrap yard fight, ugly and no flow to the game by both sides.

Its a DRAW!

Allblacks Loss. Draw. Win.

Lions Win. Draw. Loss.

Prediction 80% imao assurety
Probability 60% it can go this way.

Good luckto us bru! And to the Allblacks!!
[ Edited by 4x4niner on Jun 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM ]
The Blues & the Clan earned their victories, imo. Two hard fought battles where late in the game both NZ SR sides were trailing. Both NZ teams were clinical, the Lions weren't. Simple as that really.

The Lions even had the last opportunity in attack in both of those games, but ultimately coughed the ball up after making an error.

Rustiness isn't an excuse, just as it wasn't an excuse for the ABs against Samoa.

In the other games against the Crusaders, Chiefs & Maori the Lions execution, particularly in defense was much better. Also their execution in attack was pretty good against the Chiefs, they scored some beauties out wide.

But, you should expect that from a team comprised of the best from the 2nd, 3rd, 5th & 7th ranked nations in the world. In all honesty the Lions probably should have beaten all the SR sides.

At least they've hit form heading into this first test. Hopefully it's a very competitive series. Something special for the ages.

----------------------

That stare down in the U20s was against the French, 4x4... It was good stuff.

-----------------------

As for tonight's game?

It think we'll win, & possibly pull away late. But, tbh the Lions will have a decent chance of an upset tonight, & possibly in the series. Facing the ABs early, or very late in the season is better than when they're firing on all cylinders during the middle period.

PS... Go ABs
Well im glad my prediction was wrong or...could be the other way round? Win 1st, lose 2nd, draw 3rd or draw 3rd lose 2nd. I guess my pessimism is unrelenting because im pressured by the warriors hot and cold performances, and then nervous for team nz against oracle (last americas cup team nz needed 1 win for the cup but lost it in every race after a time off for a few days the a.ericans fixed their problem) and now im worried the ABs and nz underestimating the Lions but by last nights performance i think i should relax have a toke and go with the flow.

And yes it was francais the stare down for the juniors thanx for the correction.
And i shouldnt worry for the ABs theyve fixed all their problems since 2007 world cup, i should have the faith.
Originally posted by 4x4niner:
And i shouldnt worry for the ABs theyve fixed all their problems since 2007 world cup, i should have the faith.

The only 3x RWC champions + the only B2B World Champs, 4x4. What's to worry about? .... They have legit claim to the greatest professional sports team ever. They beat the Lions by 15 points in only their 2nd game of the season. If they keep this form heading into the 2019 RWC they'll be favourites for the 3-peat.

Tbh the team seems better since Dan Carter, McCaw, Smith & Nonu left... How crazy is that.

~~~~~

I understand your concerns about the America's Cup. They pretty much had it wrapped up last time, only to collapse & lose the thing.

I doubt they'll make the same mistakes this time round.

~~~~~

LOL.... If you keep your expectations low with the Warriors, you won't get burnt. (Wallaby fans should do the same with the rugby. As the current team is just not very good)

And who knows, one day they may even surprise you?
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 25, 2017 at 11:07 PM ]
Hurricanes v Lions was a special one, 4x4... I normally don't enjoy a draw, but that was top class.

Laumape had a monster of a game, & got promoted to the ABs bench.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Here's the teams for the 2nd Test)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/94170278/lions-tour-waisake-naholo-ngani-laumape-storm-into-all-blacks-test-lineup

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody.

Reserves: Nathan Harris, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden, Ngani Laumape.

Naholo & Ioane on the wings ... With Dagg at the back

ALB + SBW

Fantastic bench with young Laumape to privide huge impact & counter Te'o from the bench for the Lions

(VS)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/94204352/lions-tour-johnny-sexton-and-owen-farrell-to-start-together-in-second-test

British and Irish Lions' squad for the second test: Liam Williams, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Davies, Owen Farrell, Elliot Daly, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray, Taulupe Faletau, Sean O'Brien, Sam Warburton, Alun Wyn Jones, Maro Itoje, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Mako Vunipola;

Reserves: Ken Owens, Jack McGrath, Kyle Sinckler, Courtney Lawes, CJ Stander, Rhys Webb, Ben Te'o, Jack Nowell

Starting Itoje is the right move, as is having Lawes on the bench. But, dropping Te'o will backfire imo. The AB midfield will attack that channel all day.

~~~~

Prediction: Comfortable win for NZ.

~~~

PS... I see they picked up the America's Cup too.

Yup Americas cup now the kiwi cup
The black ferns won the world cup 7's and damn SBW did a effing shoulder charge and got red carded damn damn damn! Oh well its even now 14 vs 15.
What a great test match. That RC from Sonny came back to bite us, 4by... We've got ourselves a DECIDER.

Fantastic stuff.
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
What a great test match. That RC from Sonny came back to bite us, 4by... We've got ourselves a DECIDER.

Fantastic stuff.
and sonny gets 4 weeks holiday. Serves him right, play NFL sonny if you want shoulder charges or did they ban it too?
Originally posted by 4x4niner:
and sonny gets 4 weeks holiday. Serves him right, play NFL sonny if you want shoulder charges or did they ban it too?

Yeah, they threw the book at him. No complaints, he'll learn.

SC is still, & will always be legal in football.

------------------

Here's the teams for tonight's DECIDER:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/94438456/lions-tour-lions-team-unchanged-but-warren-gatland-expects-all-blacks-backlash

Lions:

Liam Williams, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Davies, Owen Farrell, Elliot Daly, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Taupule Faletau, Sean O'Brien, Sam Warburton (c), Alun Wyn Jones, Maro Itoje, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Mako Vunipola.

Reserves:

Ken Owens, Jack McGrath, Kyle Sinckler, Courtney Lawes, CJ Stander, Rhys Webb, Ben Te'o, Jack Nowell.

All Blacks:

Jordie Barrett, Israel Dagg, Anton Lienert-Brown, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody.

Reserves:

Nathan Harris, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden, Malakai Fekitoa.

Tbh, the Lions might be in with a real chance, 4by. Unchanged settled lineup, rested, confident, & they are now used to playing in the same team as each other.

This Lions team is brimming with talent after all.

ABs gambling on some Wellington young blood for the decider.

Big ask / responsibility for Laumape & Jordie B.

But, at the same time, the ABs rarely lose b2b tests, it's Eden Park, & Kieran Read's 100th test.

So, plenty of reason to be confident in a NZ victory as well.

PS... J. Savea back too. Rieko was apparently unwell & not fit for consideration. I'm sure the Bus 2.0 (With respect to Jerome) will make the most of his opportunity.

--------

All up a great week of sport, 4x4.

Decider Week... Lions first up, & Origin on Wednesday.

It's almost better than Shark Week.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jul 7, 2017 at 9:56 PM ]
Woo hoo! A DRAW!!! And a DRAWN series.

Fair play to both teams... Great game & an even better series.

... Only 12 more years until a shot at redemption.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jul 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone