There are 152 users in the forums

The Rugby Union General Discussion thread

National Team Announcement - New Zealand / NZ v Wales Series

All Blacks squad named for June test series against Wales

Props: Charlie Faumuina, ​Owen Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi.

​Hookers: Codie Taylor, Nathan Harris, Dane Coles.

Locks: Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Luke Romano.

Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (c), Elliot Dixon, Jerome Kaino, Liam Squire.

Halfbacks: Aaron Smith, Tawera Kerr-Barlow.

Five-eighths: Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Lima Sopoaga.

Midfield: Charlie Ngatai, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Seta Tamanivalu.

Outside backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Damian McKenzie, Julian Savea, Waisake Naholo.

Notes:

* Six new caps are in bold.

* Ardie Savea made the right decision to withdraw from Sevens duty. (You know it's true, 4x4 )

* Both Ardie & Elliot Dixon having been playing elite football this season & thoroughly deserve their call-ups.

* The rest of the newbies have been in excellent form as well.

* If you include Damian McKenzie the team has no fewer than four players who can play the First Five-Eighth position.

* The team also has four goal kickers.

* Ofa Tu'ungafasi & Seta Tamanivalu are the bolters.

* I'm very happy with the Charlie Ngatai selection.

* Cruden & Naholo have bounced back strongly from injuries to make the team.

* Israel Dagg has fought his way back into the team after being overlooked for last year's RWC squad. Well Done.

* Kaino was back to his immense best in the Blues narrow loss to the Crusaders which is a great sign.

* Kieran Read is the new All Black captain. Perfect player for the job, well deserved.

* Overall very strong squad with a number of talented players overlooked & not considered through injury.

Bring on Wales!!!
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on May 28, 2016 at 4:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
National Team Announcement - New Zealand / NZ v Wales Series

All Blacks squad named for June test series against Wales

Props: Charlie Faumuina, ​Owen Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi.

​Hookers: Codie Taylor, Nathan Harris, Dane Coles.

Locks: Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Luke Romano.

Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (c), Elliot Dixon, Jerome Kaino, Liam Squire.

Halfbacks: Aaron Smith, Tawera Kerr-Barlow.

Five-eighths: Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Lima Sopoaga.

Midfield: Charlie Ngatai, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Seta Tamanivalu.

Outside backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Damian McKenzie, Julian Savea, Waisake Naholo.

Notes:

* Six new caps are in bold.

* Ardie Savea made the right decision to withdraw from Sevens duty. (You know it's true, 4x4 )

* Both Ardie & Elliot Dixon having been playing elite football this season & thoroughly deserve their call-ups.

* The rest of the newbies have been in excellent form as well.

* If you include Damian McKenzie the team has no fewer than four players who can play the First Five-Eighth position.

* The team also has four goal kickers.

* Ofa Tu'ungafasi & Seta Tamanivalu are the bolters.

* I'm very happy with the Charlie Ngatai selection.

* Cruden & Naholo have bounced back strongly from injuries to make the team.

* Israel Dagg has fought his way back into the team after being overlooked for last year's RWC squad. Well Done.

* Kaino was back to his immense best in the Blues narrow loss to the Crusaders which is a great sign.

* Kieran Read is the new All Black captain. Perfect player for the job, well deserved.

* Overall very strong squad with a number of talented players overlooked & not considered through injury.

Bring on Wales!!!
Savea had all the time to get a gold medal and get chosen for the AB's next year. Good on Izzy hope his form is back, and from what i see, a few games will get them up to world ranking form and better!
National Team Announcement

Springboks name nine new caps for three-Test series against Ireland

Springboks squad

Forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Siya Kolisi, Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Scarra Ntubeni (all Stormers), Jaco Kriel, Julian Redelinghuys, Warren Whiteley (all Lions), Trevor Nyakane, Adriaan Strauss (both Bulls), Lood de Jager (Cheetahs), Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux), Francois Louw (Bath), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Duane Vermeulen (Toulon)

Backs: Garth April, Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo, JP Pietersen, Wille le Roux (all Sharks), Ruan Combrinck, Faf de Klerk, Elton Jantjies, Lionel Mapoe (all Lions), Jesse Kriel, Rudy Paige, Jan Serfontein (all Bulls), Damian de Allende, Nic Groom (both Stormers)

Originally posted by 4x4niner:
Savea had all the time to get a gold medal and get chosen for the AB's next year. Good on Izzy hope his form is back, and from what i see, a few games will get them up to world ranking form and better!

You don't want to take AB caps for granted, 4x4... Look at Dagg, one minute you're in, the next you're out.

If Ardie didn't take the opportunity, Matt Todd would've & it might have been difficult for Ardie to get another chance with both Todd & Cane in the team.
You don't want to take AB caps for granted, 4x4... Look at Dagg, one minute you're in, the next you're out.

If Ardie didn't take the opportunity, Matt Todd would've & it might have been difficult for Ardie to get another chance with both Todd & Cane in the team.
point taken but if Ardie knows his skillset and is confident, that should give him the drive to better them and get in the team, i think SBW and Hayne showed that, but anyway good on him for being chosen.
Geez not many i know in the rsa team all the old school just about gone.
And why are alot of fans questioning Kerr barlow? He did good in the world cup.
Australia's women's sevens team makes history with world series win

Australia's classy band of history-makers became women's world sevens champions in the Clermont Sevens in France over the weekend.

They then went on to beat deposed champions New Zealand 14-5 in the semi-finals before losing the decider 29-19 to Canada.

Well done ladies, a very well deserved series victory.

The last two tournaments have been won by Canada & England which proves anything can happen in Rio much like in the men's competition.

He hasn't played much, 4x4. Due to injury... Weber has been playing lights out for the Chiefs & Perenara has been doing the same for the Canes.

Although Perenara is listed as injury cover for the squad.

Same here, it's a pretty new looking team. Will be interesting to see how they go against Ireland.

point taken but if Ardie knows his skillset and is confident, that should give him the drive to better them and get in the team, i think SBW and Hayne showed that, but anyway good on him for being chosen.

We know Ardie has the skills, he is a better 7s player than both those guys, easily.

I get where you're coming from, but unlike SBW who has already been a part of two RWC winning teams, Ardie is just starting out. Also this is the first year of the post McCaw era so technically that number seven jumper is up for grabs for the first time in over a decade. Sam Cane will have first crack & the inside running due to being in the team longer, but he is by no means established as an automatic selection All Black.

PS: Hayne doesn't count he is just a dabbler, Ardie I'm sure wants to be a great All Black/Rugby Player.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on May 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM ]
Speaking of SBW...

Sonny Bill Williams expected to sign with New Zealand Rugby through to 2019 Rugby World Cup

New Zealand Rugby has offered Sonny Bill Williams a three-year deal to remain in his homeland, and the powerhouse midfielder is understood to be close to accepting the deal.

I'll post an update if the signing is confirmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update: (4x4, you are going to love this )

Sonny Bill Williams locks in next Super Rugby deal, signing with Auckland Blues for three years

ALL Blacks coach Steve Hansen has predicted Sonny Bill Williams will finish as a rugby union great as he sets his sights on a record third consecutive Rugby World Cup triumph with New Zealand.

SBW is keen to team up with Tana again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Results - SR - R14

[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on May 31, 2016 at 10:00 PM ]

he hasn't even been the best HB for the Chiefs. Weber has been better. I don't think TKB is an impact player late in games either. Also he's always injured.

Perenara needs more time IMO. I don't think he's consistant enough, yet. But he always has an impact. His passing needs to be crisper.
News

All Blacks call-up George Moala with concussion still dogging Chiefs inside centre Charlie Ngatai

ALL Blacks coach Steve Hansen has called-up Blues centre George Moala to the squad as cover for Chiefs inside centre Charlie Ngatai for the upcoming three-match Test series against Wales.

Tough luck for Ngatai, hopefully he recovers from his lingering concussion issue. Moala has played great this season & was unlucky to miss out on selection. He will perform well in the role.

He hasn't played much, 4x4. Due to injury... Weber has been playing lights out for the Chiefs & Perenara has been doing the same for the Canes.

Although Perenara is listed as injury cover for the squad.

Same here, it's a pretty new looking team. Will be interesting to see how they go against Ireland.

We know Ardie has the skills, he is a better 7s player than both those guys, easily.

I get where you're coming from, but unlike SBW who has already been a part of two RWC winning teams, Ardie is just starting out. Also this is the first year of the post McCaw era so technically that number seven jumper is up for grabs for the first time in over a decade. Sam Cane will have first crack & the inside running due to being in the team longer, but he is by no means established as an automatic selection All Black.

PS: Hayne doesn't count he is just a dabbler, Ardie I'm sure wants to be a great All Black/Rugby Player.
True, true and whos hayne?!???
News

All Blacks call-up George Moala with concussion still dogging Chiefs inside centre Charlie Ngatai

ALL Blacks coach Steve Hansen has called-up Blues centre George Moala to the squad as cover for Chiefs inside centre Charlie Ngatai for the upcoming three-match Test series against Wales.

Tough luck for Ngatai, hopefully he recovers from his lingering concussion issue. Moala has played great this season & was unlucky to miss out on selection. He will perform well in the role.
did really well for samoa.
WOO HOO!!! TANA PICKS DA MAN!!!
Awesome news sporto, the resurgence is here!
[ Edited by 4x4niner on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone