There are 205 users in the forums

Oakland A's Off season thread

Originally posted by DaDDieO:
Asdrubal Cabrera > Stephen Drew IMO Bat & glove. A very entertaining SS

Note that Cabrera is due $21M over the next 3 years. Not bad.

No doubt
definitely worth the contract

Anyways..
Bob Melvin named AL Manager of the year. No surprise really.. well deserved
Casey Pratt ‏@CaseyPrattCSN
Bob Melvin named American League Manager of the Year. Well deserved. #Athletics

So our awards consist of Reddick's Gold Glove, Melvin AL Manager of the Year, Beane executive of the year.
Cespedes was 2nd in ALROY. Parker was like 5th.
Inge was a finalist for a GG

All 4 players were not on the team last season. Helluva job by Billy Beane
Yunel Escobar traded to the Marlins in a huge deal

There were rumors of Escobar coming to Oakland, glad it didn't happen I didn't want that douche
I want Asdrubal! hopefully Beane makes it happen
Congrats to BoMel. Very deserving. I honestly never thought it was close.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Congrats to BoMel. Very deserving. I honestly never thought it was close.

Closer then I thought it'd be
Melvin had 16 first place votes and Showalter had like 12
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
No doubt
definitely worth the contract

Anyways..
Bob Melvin named AL Manager of the year. No surprise really.. well deserved
Casey Pratt ‏@CaseyPrattCSN
Bob Melvin named American League Manager of the Year. Well deserved. #Athletics

So our awards consist of Reddick's Gold Glove, Melvin AL Manager of the Year, Beane executive of the year.
Cespedes was 2nd in ALROY. Parker was like 5th.
Inge was a finalist for a GG

All 4 players were not on the team last season. Helluva job by Billy Beane

Melvin is a very, very good manager. Beane had a movie made about him this year.
Tyson Ross traded
good riddance

John Dickinson ‏@JDJohnDickinson
Tyson Ross lost 16.1% of #Athletics games in 2012 (11 of 68).

Joe Stiglich ‏@joestiglich
#Athletics trade Tyson Ross to #Padres in a deal that brings them IF Andy Parrino and lefty Andrew Werner.

Jane Lee ‏@JaneMLB
#Athletics acquire INF Andy Parrino and LH Andrew Werner from#Padres in exchange for Tyson Ross and Minor Leaguer A.J. Kirby-Jones.

John Dickinson ‏@JDJohnDickinson
Would imagine Werner would be minor league pitching depth at best unless #Athletics view him as reliever Parrino a ML 2B/SS backup option

Parino:
Parrino batted .207 with one home run and six RBI in 55 games with San Diego. He appeared in 26 games at shortstop, 15 games at second base, two games at third base and one game in right field. The 27-year-old switch-hitter spent the balance of the season with Triple-A Tucson, batting .328 with one home run and 32 RBI in 65 games. He appeared in 39 games at shortstop, 11 games at second base, six games in left field, four games at third base and two games at designated hitter.
Sounds like he can take Adam Rosales' role. Was a .330 hitter in triple A but had just 1 homerun

Werner:
Werner was selected from Triple-A Tucson Aug. 22 and was 2-3 with a 5.58 ERA and .285 opponents batting average in eight games, all starts, in his Major League debut with San Diego. The 25-year-old was also 5-10 with a 3.70 ERA and .271 opponents average in 22 minor league starts, including 1-2 with a 5.79 ERA in four starts with Tucson and 4-8 with a 3.23 ERA in 18 starts at Double-A San Antonio.

Sounds like another Travis Blackley. Struggling lefty that's only getting another chance cause he's a lefty
Looks like two more pieces towards the Sacramento Rivercats championship puzzle!
Neshek will be returning to the club next season.

Right-handed reliever Pat Neshek and the Oakland Athletics reached agreement Wednesday on a $975,000, one-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration.

The AL West champion A's rallied around Neshek after his newborn son, Gehrig, died 23 hours after his birth just before the playoffs began last month. Oakland players took the field wearing patches in the baby's honor during their five-game division series loss to the Detroit Tigers.

He went 2-1 with a 1.37 ERA in 24 appearances with the A's after being acquired from Baltimore on Aug. 3 for cash considerations. Neshek, who made $825,000 last year, was 3-2 with 11 saves and a 2.66 ERA in 35 Triple-A appearances before joining Oakland.

He can earn an additional $75,000 in performance bonuses: $25,000 each for 45, 55 and 65 games.
The remaining six A's players eligible for arbitration are first baseman Daric Barton, reliever Jerry Blevins, catcher George Kottaras, first baseman Brandon Moss, infielder Adam Rosales and designated hitter/outfielder Seth Smith.

Would like to bring these 3 back. But I can't blame any of them for getting as much $$$$$ as they can on the open market, especially B Moss. I'm sure that he's thinking that it's FINALLY time to get PAID.

Right-handed reliever Pat Neshek and the Oakland Athletics reached agreement Wednesday on a $975,000, one-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration.

The AL West champion A's rallied around Neshek after his newborn son, Gehrig, died 23 hours after his birth just before the playoffs began last month. Oakland players took the field wearing patches in the baby's honor during their five-game division series loss to the Detroit Tigers.

He went 2-1 with a 1.37 ERA in 24 appearances with the A's after being acquired from Baltimore on Aug. 3 for cash considerations. Neshek, who made $825,000 last year, was 3-2 with 11 saves and a 2.66 ERA in 35 Triple-A appearances before joining Oakland.

He can earn an additional $75,000 in performance bonuses: $25,000 each for 45, 55 and 65 games.

Glad that Neshek will be back

As all of you know I'm not a fan of the A's but what Neshek went through last year was horrible. As a father of two grown children (with two grandkids and one more due in January!) I cannot imagine how painful losing a child must be. Let's hope he gets his $1 million and more importantly I hope him and his family are ok.
"@susanslusser: A major-league executive tells me he believes Stephen Drew will sign with #Athletics for one year with an additional player option for '14."

Thought this would be the only logical place to put this.

My sister's hubby works at Lowes over here and met Rickey Henderson today. Guess he goes there all the time and everyone that works there sees him a lot

He's one of my all time favorites so I'm pretty jealous. What's weird though, my mom was best friends with his wife or ex wife or whatever in highschool.

I told my sister's husband that he needs to do an installation at Rickey's house and give me a Lowes vest so I can come too lol
Originally posted by Zachary:

My sister's hubby works at Lowes over here and met Rickey Henderson today. Guess he goes there all the time and everyone that works there sees him a lot

He's one of my all time favorites so I'm pretty jealous. What's weird though, my mom was best friends with his wife or ex wife or whatever in highschool.

I told my sister's husband that he needs to do an installation at Rickey's house and give me a Lowes vest so I can come too lol

Who?
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by Zachary:

Who?

Oh this black guy who stole a lot in his younger dayzzzz
Share 49ersWebzone