LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 143 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 12/13

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by NinerAce:
Apparently Falcao already has one foot in Monaco to join newly signed Joao Mouthino and James Rodriguez from Porto.

Falcao going to Monaco will be great for Barca. I've been nervous about him going to Real. Among my favorite players too...would hate to see him playing for Real.

I'd prefer Cavani and Bale

Speed of Bale worries me, but he is another highly inconsistent player. I don't think wingers are the problem for Madrid. They need to upgrade their forward, and I'll take Falcao over Cavani every day and twice on game day.

He's still one of the best in the EPL, I'll take him over Dima any day and who's better between Falcao, Cavani, Lewa, etc is just a matter of opinion. They're all huge improvements over Benzema.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Apparently Falcao already has one foot in Monaco to join newly signed Joao Mouthino and James Rodriguez from Porto.

Falcao going to Monaco will be great for Barca. I've been nervous about him going to Real. Among my favorite players too...would hate to see him playing for Real.

Speed of Bale worries me, but he is another highly inconsistent player. I don't think wingers are the problem for Madrid. They need to upgrade their forward, and I'll take Falcao over Cavani every day and twice on game day.

He's still one of the best in the EPL, I'll take him over Dima any day and who's better between Falcao, Cavani, Lewa, etc is just a matter of opinion. They're all huge improvements over Benzema.

Falcao is clearly better...but you're correct, all of those guys are clearly better than Benzema.

Originally posted by NickV:
Messi's ego is too big. As well as Neymars. I got the feeling that this relationship will not end well.

Barça need a defender not another forward.

this. Barca should really fix that defense. and Messi does have a huge ego if Zlatan is to be believed on why he was forced out of Barca.

Falcao is clearly better...but you're correct, all of those guys are clearly better than Benzema.

although I admit I haven't seen Falcao too much, I think you're over stating things. Cavani plays in the best defensive league in the world and tears defenses apart. While working hard, pressing the other team. Great finisher. Madrid will be scary with Cavani if he goes there. but yes, when it comes to pure strikers, you can't go wrong with either Cavani, Falcao, or Lewa. I'd add Mandzukic in there too. dude is a beast.
[ Edited by 1251alex on May 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erha:
I am heartbroken for dortmund but very happy for bayern they deserve it best team in Europe this year!

No arguments from me either. They proved me wrong. Congrats on the win...well deserved.

Originally posted by 49erha:
Barca got their man
http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=1459700

I can see a bayern v barca rivalry for the next few years to go along with the Spain and Germany rivalry.

Also saw a rumor that zidane wants real to go after Bale. Ronaldo on the left Bale on the right would be very fun to watch

Messi and Neymar as forwards...O Ma Ma! I can't wait to see that combo. It will take a year for Neymar to adjust, but after that he should take a lot of pressure off Messi. Barca is in great hands offensively for the next few years.

Now, give me Silva or Hummels and a good young goalie.

Neymar is very similar to what they have at the moment, Barca's issue is that they can't adjust their style of play and are rather one-dimensional, albeit a very good dimension.

Neymar has looked incredible playing in Brazil, but that is Brazil and coming in to the Champions League is several steps up from that. Tbh, I think he will struggle, time will tell on that one.

I think they need more defenders (across the back four) and IMO a RB who is stronger in defence then Alves

I don't agree with that statement, he can take over games and can do everything required with that left foot of his, free kicks, spectacular long shots and great crosses. To top that all off he has pace to burn and the fitness to still be sprinting in the 89th minute.

The fact that Bale has succeeded in a league where that type of player rarely does well (Ronaldo was the last person I can remember who played like that i.e. carrying a team) is testament to him. I think he would be incredible in Spain on big pitches where teams (generally speaking) tend to be a lot less physical.

You put Ronaldo and Bale on either wing the opposition are in for a world of trouble. I remember watching Real vs Tottenham in the Champions League a few seasons ago, Real were double marking him with Ramos and the Turkish guy (who's name I forget) and he still played really well.

Having said all of that I don't think he goes to a team in mainland Europe, if he does move I think he will stay in England, he's still pretty young and from the interviews I have read he seems to be someone who likes his home comforts.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by NickV:
Messi's ego is too big. As well as Neymars. I got the feeling that this relationship will not end well.

Barça need a defender not another forward.

this. Barca should really fix that defense. and Messi does have a huge ego if Zlatan is to be believed on why he was forced out of Barca.

although I admit I haven't seen Falcao too much, I think you're over stating things. Cavani plays in the best defensive league in the world and tears defenses apart. While working hard, pressing the other team. Great finisher. Madrid will be scary with Cavani if he goes there. but yes, when it comes to pure strikers, you can't go wrong with either Cavani, Falcao, or Lewa. I'd add Mandzukic in there too. dude is a beast.

Of those I would take Lewandowski, especially for a team like Barca. The man is a complete forward, he would also offer Barca a different style of attack should they need it, he can mix it up in the air or as a playmaker with the ball on the ground.

In regards to the best defensive league in the world I would say the Premiership and, to a lesser extent, the Bundesliga offer stronger defences than Serie A - when I say that I mean across the whole league rather than the top few teams.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kunged:
Neymar is very similar to what they have at the moment, Barca's issue is that they can't adjust their style of play and are rather one-dimensional, albeit a very good dimension.

Neymar has looked incredible playing in Brazil, but that is Brazil and coming in to the Champions League is several steps up from that. Tbh, I think he will struggle, time will tell on that one.

I think they need more defenders (across the back four) and IMO a RB who is stronger in defence then Alves

Barca is not lookin' to change their attack. They want to do a better job at what they have been doing...because they have been the most successful team for 6 years. Neymar fits into that beautifully. A) He is natural at attackin from the left and won't be lookin' to play in the Center like Ibra or Villa. B) He has great control when he dribbles and that is crucial when playing in tight spaces as Barca likes to play. C) He is a terrific passer as well, whereas Ibra, Villa, and Sanchez don't have the same touch when passing the ball; therefore struggled.

IMO, it's the perfect fit. There is no point in trying to add someone so Barca can play a different style. As long as Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets are playing in the mid-field, Barca can't play another style and succeed.

Also, even though there is a huge step up for Neymar from what he faced at Santos, he has played well for Brazil on the international stage. Teams like Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Bayern were interested in him and we know Real Madrid offered twice as much to him and to Santos than what Barca paid for him. A lot of highly qualified coaches are advising these franchises, so it may take him a year...but I've no doubt in his skills.

Summer transfer period has just begun. Barca needed someone who will draw a defense attn from Messi and Neymar is exactly that guy. With that addressed, I'm pretty sure they will go out and get a top CB and there is a 50-50 chance that Alves is sent to Monaco. They paid only 28M to Santos for Neymar transfer...they will have the money to go out and get the right guy. I'll not go out and get a RB though. I really like Montoya who has been exceptional for the International team. It's time to give him the starting role.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1251alex:

Zlatan is known to have big ego and I don't understand how his word should be taken more seriously over than so many other players who have said he is the most humble player they have met. That's not just his team-mates, but the players he has played against. Plus, it was Pep's decision to keep Messi as the center-piece of attack over Zlatan. Zlatan obviously failed to make an impact at Barca because he was doing something he wasn't comfortable with and couldn't adjust. Pep shipped him out and he blamed Pep and Messi for his failures.

IMO, Falcao is better and the price to get him will prove that. He has higher value than all of the guys you mentioned. Of course, that doesn't mean Cavani is not damn good. Cavani is awesome, but he lacks the speed of other great strikers...which does limit him in certain situations. I like Lewa too...he's awesome but right now Falcao is near the top of the list of best strikers.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
The thing with Falcao is that outbox all the strikers around the world, he is the most clinical. Dude finishes off damn near any goal scoring opportunity he gets. He also is a great poacher. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Barca is not lookin' to change their attack. They want to do a better job at what they have been doing...because they have been the most successful team for 6 years. Neymar fits into that beautifully. A) He is natural at attackin from the left and won't be lookin' to play in the Center like Ibra or Villa. B) He has great control when he dribbles and that is crucial when playing in tight spaces as Barca likes to play. C) He is a terrific passer as well, whereas Ibra, Villa, and Sanchez don't have the same touch when passing the ball; therefore struggled.

IMO, it's the perfect fit. There is no point in trying to add someone so Barca can play a different style. As long as Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets are playing in the mid-field, Barca can't play another style and succeed.

Also, even though there is a huge step up for Neymar from what he faced at Santos, he has played well for Brazil on the international stage. Teams like Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Bayern were interested in him and we know Real Madrid offered twice as much to him and to Santos than what Barca paid for him. A lot of highly qualified coaches are advising these franchises, so it may take him a year...but I've no doubt in his skills.

Summer transfer period has just begun. Barca needed someone who will draw a defense attn from Messi and Neymar is exactly that guy. With that addressed, I'm pretty sure they will go out and get a top CB and there is a 50-50 chance that Alves is sent to Monaco. They paid only 28M to Santos for Neymar transfer...they will have the money to go out and get the right guy. I'll not go out and get a RB though. I really like Montoya who has been exceptional for the International team. It's time to give him the starting role.

I'm not saying Barca should look to change their style, just that they need the option to change styles should they need to. They need a poacher/strong aerial threat, Lewandowski would offer them that as well as being able to play in their current style. I feel he would just offer them more versatility.

Anyway, I think they should be looking to address other areas of their team rather then focusing on their attack. Though you are right that they still have a lot of time to go out and reinforce their defence

Time will tell for Neymar, from what I have seen, when he has played top quality opposition he hasn't looked nearly as good as when he plays in Brazil. That isn't to say he won't be good, I just don't think he will be as good as everyone has said he will be, i.e. next "big thing"
Zlatan is known to have big ego and I don't understand how his word should be taken more seriously over than so many other players who have said he is the most humble player they have met. That's not just his team-mates, but the players he has played against. Plus, it was Pep's decision to keep Messi as the center-piece of attack over Zlatan. Zlatan obviously failed to make an impact at Barca because he was doing something he wasn't comfortable with and couldn't adjust. Pep shipped him out and he blamed Pep and Messi for his failures.

IMO, Falcao is better and the price to get him will prove that. He has higher value than all of the guys you mentioned. Of course, that doesn't mean Cavani is not damn good. Cavani is awesome, but he lacks the speed of other great strikers...which does limit him in certain situations. I like Lewa too...he's awesome but right now Falcao is near the top of the list of best strikers.

I'd say that Lewandowski is argueably the best out and out striker in the world right now. IMO defensive rankings for the top European leagues look something like Serie A<La Lia<Budesliga<Premiership (there is a strong argument you could switch the Bundesliga and the Premiersip).

The Champions League is a level above them all and Lewandowski has proved himself in the toughest club competition in the world, so IMO that makes him one the best, if not the best, strikers in the world.
Update on some rumors (got most of them from two Spanish newspapers)...

- Manchester United has called Barca regarding Cesc Fabregas and Thiago Alcantara

- Looks like Luis Suarez will end up in Real and that Isco will end up in Manchester City

- Falcao to Monaco is a done deal.Supposedly, his contract has a clause that says he can leave next January if things are not going well for the team (Monaco won't even be in the Europa league). Real, Chelsea, and Manchester United are candidates for his services if the clause is used.

- Monaco is not done. They signed Carvalho, Mouthino, Rodriguez... Have Falcao basically signed... and are also after Ivanovic, Victor Valdes, and Carlos Tevez. They are even monitoring the situation with Kaká

- Dortmund is negotiating with Barca to get their Barca B star, Gerard Deulofeu, on loan. the kid wants the playing time that he will not have next year in Barca's top team.

- Crystal Palace and West Ham want Barca's Marc Bartra on loan

- Barca is looking for a "number 9." Candidates are: Klose, Fernando Torres, Leandro Damiao, Chicharito, Romelu Lukaku, Daniel Osvaldo, Mario Gomez, and Wilfried Bony

- Looks like the Thiago Silva signing is looking very difficult for Barca. Other candidates are David Luiz, Vincent Kompany, and Marquinhos

- David Villa to Tottenham for $12 million?

- Real would give $70 million for Bale

- Atletico Madrid is looking for Falcao's replacement in England... Luis Suárez, Benteke, Chicharito and Dzeko

- Higuain to Juve almost done
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'm not saying Barca should look to change their style, just that they need the option to change styles should they need to. They need a poacher/strong aerial threat, Lewandowski would offer them that as well as being able to play in their current style. I feel he would just offer them more versatility.

Anyway, I think they should be looking to address other areas of their team rather then focusing on their attack. Though you are right that they still have a lot of time to go out and reinforce their defence

Time will tell for Neymar, from what I have seen, when he has played top quality opposition he hasn't looked nearly as good as when he plays in Brazil. That isn't to say he won't be good, I just don't think he will be as good as everyone has said he will be, i.e. next "big thing"

Ahh...ok, yea, I agree with that. Barca needs an aerial threat. But, I love the idea of Neymar and Messi playin' together. He's 21 and was the biggest name in the league he played in and I feel he had no real incentive to get better. La Liga is a big jump and from everything I read, he loves football, he works hard and we've seen that he has all the skill-set to be a great one...so now it's a matter of putting it all together and rise up to the challenge he will face in Europe. It's hard to predict how good he really will be at this point...I think we both be guessing.

I'd say that Lewandowski is argueably the best out and out striker in the world right now. IMO defensive rankings for the top European leagues look something like Serie A<La Lia<Budesliga<Premiership (there is a strong argument you could switch the Bundesliga and the Premiersip).

The Champions League is a level above them all and Lewandowski has proved himself in the toughest club competition in the world, so IMO that makes him one the best, if not the best, strikers in the world.

Lewa is great...but not the best striker in the World. You make solid arguments, but I've always believed, success in one or two seasons is great but doesn't put you among the best. You have to do it for few years. Lewa is on his way though.
Bayern is now the most valuable team in the sports world!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/29/news/bayern-munich-brand-value/

Basically they will now have more money then ever to spend, also they are still growing. Very impressive since the bundesliga does not have monster tv contracts like the prem and to a lesser extant la liga
Share 49ersWebzone