There are 223 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• boast
  • Hella Fame
if we trade Romo, does that open the door a little wider for re-signing BWil?
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

There's all kinds of talks right now that he may sign with the Pirates or maybe Arizona.
Originally posted by Muggins:

There's all kinds of talks right now that he may sign with the Pirates or maybe Arizona.

If he does, I doubt it will be for more than this year. If he's a free agent next year, I could see us re-signing him.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
- They'll probably find a trade partner for Lopez, though no top prospect in return (maybe an int'l developmental guy like the Escobar-for-Snyder trade)
- Doubt and hope they don't trade Pence or Timmy (prefer to make them QOs)
- If they can get something of value for Romo, do it

I think you're right. They'll only trade Timmy or Pence if they get back more value than a 1st round pick. And I'm all for trading Romo if there's a borderline-ready outfielder or starting pitcher that comes back in return.

why is everyone giving up on Romo? the guy has had a rough patch lately, but overall he still is a solid closer.

No one is "giving up" on Romo but we have bigger holes to fill and if you can get good return on him, then there's no reason not to dangle him when you have other people who can handle the closer gig.

other than Casilla and Mijares, our pen isnt very strong this year.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
- They'll probably find a trade partner for Lopez, though no top prospect in return (maybe an int'l developmental guy like the Escobar-for-Snyder trade)
- Doubt and hope they don't trade Pence or Timmy (prefer to make them QOs)
- If they can get something of value for Romo, do it

I think you're right. They'll only trade Timmy or Pence if they get back more value than a 1st round pick. And I'm all for trading Romo if there's a borderline-ready outfielder or starting pitcher that comes back in return.

why is everyone giving up on Romo? the guy has had a rough patch lately, but overall he still is a solid closer.

No one is "giving up" on Romo but we have bigger holes to fill and if you can get good return on him, then there's no reason not to dangle him when you have other people who can handle the closer gig.

other than Casilla and Mijares, our pen isnt very strong this year.

Relievers are a dime a dozen, that's why you only trade them when you get good return and have someone else who can do the job competently (Casilla).
Originally posted by Niners99:

There is a 0% chance the Tigers trade us Castellanos (a top 20 prospect) for a package like that. The Tigers said theyre satisfied with Benoit, and they arent in dire need of offense.

So satisfied with Benoit that they just traded for Jose Veras.

Was for Danry Vasquez, the Tigers #3/#4 ranked prospect and Veras is a rental.

lol seriously? Did you come running over to write that as soon as you saw the trade?

Jose Veras was the Astros closer. In other words, he was the best in a crappy pen. The Tigers needed pen help. Maybe he takes the job from Benoit, maybe he doesnt. You were talking about dealing Romo for Castellanos. Theres a HUGE difference. Vasquez was their number 6 prospect, not number 3. Castellanos is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.

The fact that the Tigers traded for Veras just shows they had no interest in giving up the kind of prospect it would take to get a top level closer option.

There is a 0% chance the Tigers trade us Castellanos (a top 20 prospect) for a package like that. The Tigers said theyre satisfied with Benoit, and they arent in dire need of offense.

lol seriously? Did you come running over to write that as soon as you saw the trade?

Jose Veras was the Astros closer. In other words, he was the best in a crappy pen. The Tigers needed pen help. Maybe he takes the job from Benoit, maybe he doesnt. You were talking about dealing Romo for Castellanos. Theres a HUGE difference. Vasquez was their number 6 prospect, not number 3. Castellanos is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.

The fact that the Tigers traded for Veras just shows they had no interest in giving up the kind of prospect it would take to get a top level closer option.

Uh, clearly they weren't satisfied with Benoit, hence why I posted it.

No, I would have traded Pence, Romo and someone else for Castellanos, not straight up. And no s**t, I already said that in a response to John. Regardless it's all conjecture.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM ]

No, I would have traded Pence, Romo and someone else for Castellanos, not straight up. And no s**t, I already said that in a response to John.

Benoit has been better than Veras. They added him for pen depth, not because they wanted an elite closer.

Pence/Romo for Castellanos isnt enough. Why would the Tigers give up a top tier hitting prospect for a hitter who wouldnt even help them that much, and a RP? They have a good offense already, they dont need to help it by losing a future star. Pence has been terrible lately on top of that.

That trade makes zero sense, and would never happen.

I think we would have signed BWil already if he had shown he had anything left in the tank. Yes, baseball is a business. But the Giants also do show some loyalty to their former players. They weren't going to pay a bunch of money to someone coming off a second Tommy John, like Wilson, which is why they let him go. That was the business side of the deal.

On the loyalty side of the deal? The team gave Ryan Vogelsong a shot when nobody else would. They didn't have to do it. They could have shopped elsewhere for that fifth arm. But Vogey responded and won the job.

Short and sweet? If Wilson had anything left in his tank? Anything at all? He wouldn't be a free agent right now. He'd be on someone's roster.

No, I would have traded Pence, Romo and someone else for Castellanos, not straight up. And no s**t, I already said that in a response to John.

Benoit has been better than Veras. They added him for pen depth, not because they wanted an elite closer.

Pence/Romo for Castellanos isnt enough. Why would the Tigers give up a top tier hitting prospect for a hitter who wouldnt even help them that much, and a RP? They have a good offense already, they dont need to help it by losing a future star. Pence has been terrible lately on top of that.

That trade makes zero sense, and would never happen.

When did I say they traded for Veras to get an elite closer? They're clearly not comfortable with just Benoit, hence their move this morning.

Crazier s**t has happened for desperate teams with bigger needs. When you're essentially one player away from making a World Series visit again, GMs make crazy moves. Pence is a huge upgrade over the LF platoon of Garcia/Dirks, etc. and Romo is leaps and bounds better than anyone in their bullpen.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by billbird2111:

I think we would have signed BWil already if he had shown he had anything left in the tank. Yes, baseball is a business. But the Giants also do show some loyalty to their former players. They weren't going to pay a bunch of money to someone coming off a second Tommy John, like Wilson, which is why they let him go. That was the business side of the deal.

On the loyalty side of the deal? The team gave Ryan Vogelsong a shot when nobody else would. They didn't have to do it. They could have shopped elsewhere for that fifth arm. But Vogey responded and won the job.

Short and sweet? If Wilson had anything left in his tank? Anything at all? He wouldn't be a free agent right now. He'd be on someone's roster.

reports are saying he's throwing 92-93 and he's almost there.

And that he has no less than four offers on the table. He'll get a gig somewhere.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I would love to have Danry Vasquez.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM ]

Color me corrected then if he has offers on the table. I hadn't heard that. So why isn't the dude signing? Holding out for top dollar? I'm sure the Dodgers could use another bullpen arm. They'll buy, ahem, sign him...

And that he has no less than four offers on the table. He'll get a gig somewhere.

Plus, it's clear that we're not really buyers at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone