LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Pablo finally starts to get in better shape and loses some lbs, and he finds his swing right at the same time the rest of our guys continue to slump.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Hate to see someone like Pence go -- but according to various media reports I saw today he's as good as gone already -- a top prospect.

The Giants thread version of robniner

Who the heck is robniner?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Hate to see someone like Pence go -- but according to various media reports I saw today he's as good as gone already -- a top prospect.

Seriously doubt they would get a "top prospect" but we shall see.
Also read the Giants are looking for an MLB-ready starting pitcher in exchange for Javy Lopez

Looks like no one is getting traded.
- They'll probably find a trade partner for Lopez (maybe get back an int'l developmental guy like the Escobar-for-Snyder trade)
- Doubt and hope they don't trade Pence or Timmy (prefer to make them QOs)
- If they can get something of value for Romo, do it
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
- They'll probably find a trade partner for Lopez, though no top prospect in return (maybe an int'l developmental guy like the Escobar-for-Snyder trade)

I think this is the most ideal scenario. Be smart, don't give anybody away, but trade people for good value if it's offered to us.
- They'll probably find a trade partner for Lopez, though no top prospect in return (maybe an int'l developmental guy like the Escobar-for-Snyder trade)

I think you're right. They'll only trade Timmy or Pence if they get back more value than a 1st round pick. And I'm all for trading Romo if there's a borderline-ready outfielder or starting pitcher that comes back in return.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think you're right. They'll only trade Timmy or Pence if they get back more value than a 1st round pick. And I'm all for trading Romo if there's a borderline-ready outfielder or starting pitcher that comes back in return.

why is everyone giving up on Romo? the guy has had a rough patch lately, but overall he still is a solid closer.

Exactly, which is why I don't see them trading either one (doubt either brings back that type of trade value). Worse case, both Timmy and Pence accept their QOs and play for ~$14M each in 2014. That would only be $200k more than Pence got this year, and $8M less than what Timmy got last year, which is a net $7.8M positive for our payroll while keeping two starters.

With that $7.8, you could get a decent #5 starter (Jason Marquis-type) and a veteran LHRP on one year deals. Then you'd have Zito's $20M plus any payroll increase (minus other contract increases) to address your LF problem.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

why is everyone giving up on Romo? the guy has had a rough patch lately, but overall he still is a solid closer.

No one is "giving up" on Romo but we have bigger holes to fill and if you can get good return on him, then there's no reason not to dangle him when you have other people who can handle the closer gig.

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

It's not giving up on a player, it's giving up a "chip" to better your position next year and the year's to come. He's a valuable chip, but one that could be replaced (just like Romo did with Wilson).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM ]
that saturday game may have been the most painful game i've seen ever

Exactly, which is why I don't see them trading either one (doubt either brings back that type of trade value). Worse case, both Timmy and Pence accept their QOs and play for ~$14M each in 2014. That would only be $200k more than Pence got this year, and $8M less than what Timmy got last year, which is a net $7.8M positive for our payroll while keeping two starters.

With that $7.8, you could get a decent #5 starter (Jason Marquis-type) and a veteran LHRP on one year deals. Then you'd have Zito's $20M plus any payroll increase (minus other contract increases) to address your LF problem.

Also minus Javy Lopez coming off the books. I'm also fine with the above scenario, I think Pence is going to start declining soon so I'm not really that excited with him as a long-term solution in RF.
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
that saturday game may have been the most painful game i've seen ever

They were all pretty bad -- but yeah -- I feel you. I still haven't turned them off yet, though they are getting harder and harder to watch.

Also minus Javy Lopez coming off the books. I'm also fine with the above scenario, I think Pence is going to start declining soon so I'm not really that excited with him as a long-term solution in RF.

I think Pence at 30 still has a lot of quality baseball left in him. But if he does accept the qualifying offer, you only invest one more year in him to evaluate...which is the option I like best. It just gives us the right leverage to either keep him for one year at about the same money, sign him to a more reasonable long-term deal or let him walk and net that Round 1 supplemental pick in 2014.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone