There are 199 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
[
The "fans" didnt want the Wheeler trade. Sabean THOUGHT the fans did. The fans said "what are you doing, moron!?"

He did it to please the fans because he felt he "owed it to them" to make a run at a repeat even though it clearly wasn't happening with Posey out for the year.

This team cannot compete in it's current form regardless of the injuries. If you can get value from guys that may or may not stay next year then you have to take that risk and weigh it against whether or not a first round sandwich pick is worth more.

Right, but the point is the fans DIDNT want the Beltran deal. That was on Sabean. Theres a difference between trading an elite pitching prospect for a rental player in a lost season, and not telling the fans to "f-off" by trading half the team halfway into a season when youre wearing "WS champs" patches.

You sell now, not only does it kill the next couple years at least, but it tells the fans you give up. Despite having some of the best young players in the game, you are throwing in the towel for a few years. Thats a horrible message, and unnecessary to get the team back on track. We've had some injuries, some bad luck, and were partially doomed from the start due to a lack of preparation by the front office this offseason.

Like I said, go ahead and trade a couple guys who will be leaving anyways if you can get a nice package of near ready prospects, but blowing it up is the last thing you want to do right now. Ask the Marlins fans how much they like that strategy.

The smart fans didnt want the trade. However, there were guys in here who liked it.

Plenty of "fans" wanted to see the team to take a chance and repeat. It was clearly a terrible move and we'd now have Wheeler slotted as a 3

There's a difference between pleasing the fans and trying to get value from impending free agents and positions of depth. If you can trade Romo and Pence for someone like Castellanos, then you do it.

All the guys I suggested trading are FA's after this year minus Romo and Scutaro, hardly blowing it up in the traditional sense.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
time to

Romo
Pence
Jav Lopez

hello new prospects
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Can't believe so many of you are wanting to deal Romo. Just sad

It all depends on what the return is. I would be happy to have Romo back next season. At the same time if Detroit were to offer Nick Castellanos for Romo you have to pull the trigger. In the past some teams have gotten desperate and coughed up some great talent for relief pitching.

I'm not saying that is going to happen nor do I expect it to happen, in that case I would hold onto Romo.

I also know the Baltimore Orioles obtained Chris Davis for a relief pitcher

Back in 1997 the Red Sox traded Heath Slocomb a reliever to the Mariners for Dereck Lowe and Jason Varitek

Also in 1990 the Houston Astros traded closer Larry Anderson to the Red Sox for Jeff Bagwell

While I wouldn't want the Giants to sell Romo cheaply, I would want them to leave the phone lines open for a contending team desperate to upgrade their bullpen call in and overwhelm the Giants with an offer they can't refuse.

On the other hand I would want the Giants to actively shop Lincecum, Gaudin, Lopez, and Pence because they are all expiring contracts
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM ]
Rangers linked to Pence... Think there's any chance of prying away Profar? Still not sure what the long term plan is for him in Texas. Kinsler to 1B?

Not dying to give away Pence but with a weak hitters market, you gotta listen if someone comes calling.
[
The "fans" didnt want the Wheeler trade. Sabean THOUGHT the fans did. The fans said "what are you doing, moron!?"

He did it to please the fans because he felt he "owed it to them" to make a run at a repeat even though it clearly wasn't happening with Posey out for the year.

This team cannot compete in it's current form regardless of the injuries. If you can get value from guys that may or may not stay next year then you have to take that risk and weigh it against whether or not a first round sandwich pick is worth more.

Right, but the point is the fans DIDNT want the Beltran deal. That was on Sabean. Theres a difference between trading an elite pitching prospect for a rental player in a lost season, and not telling the fans to "f-off" by trading half the team halfway into a season when youre wearing "WS champs" patches.

You sell now, not only does it kill the next couple years at least, but it tells the fans you give up. Despite having some of the best young players in the game, you are throwing in the towel for a few years. Thats a horrible message, and unnecessary to get the team back on track. We've had some injuries, some bad luck, and were partially doomed from the start due to a lack of preparation by the front office this offseason.

Like I said, go ahead and trade a couple guys who will be leaving anyways if you can get a nice package of near ready prospects, but blowing it up is the last thing you want to do right now. Ask the Marlins fans how much they like that strategy.

The smart fans didnt want the trade. However, there were guys in here who liked it.

Plenty of "fans" wanted to see the team to take a chance and repeat. It was clearly a terrible move and we'd now have Wheeler slotted as a 3

There's a difference between pleasing the fans and trying to get value from impending free agents and positions of depth. If you can trade Romo and Pence for someone like Castellanos, then you do it.

All the guys I suggested trading are FA's after this year minus Romo and Scutaro, hardly blowing it up in the traditional sense.

There is a 0% chance the Tigers trade us Castellanos (a top 20 prospect) for a package like that. The Tigers said theyre satisfied with Benoit, and they arent in dire need of offense.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Rangers linked to Pence... Think there's any chance of prying away Profar? Still not sure what the long term plan is for him in Texas. Kinsler to 1B?

Not dying to give away Pence but with a weak hitters market, you gotta listen if someone comes calling.

No chance at Profar. The Rangers view Profar as a budding superstar who can play 2 premier positions. Giancarlo Stanton is the only available player I could see Texas involving Profar for.

Come on Sac. You know better than that. There are only 2 players on the Giants that Texas would accept for Profar and they are Posey and Bumgarner.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Gonna take a LOOOOOOOOOT more than Pence for Profar
Originally posted by jrg:

Stay out of our thread.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Stay out of our thread.

No thanks. I can post where ever I feel like.

Stay out of our thread.

You should spend more time instead updating the WZ league front page and getting the draft order actually right this time.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Stay out of our thread.

You should spend more time instead updating the WZ league front page and getting the draft order actually right this time.

Eh, I'll get to it

it's true....
One thing about Danimal... He makes Garcia look like a baseball genius in comparison.

It isnt even worth the time to debate someone who obviously has one agenda. All he cares about is coming in this thread to rip on Romo when he blows a save. Can't you get banned for being an obnoxious troll?

for a guy that doesn't know baseball I sure seem to end up being right a lot

You on the other hand the self proclaimed guru of the board made comparisons of Romo to Mariano and such others
Originally posted by danimal:
One thing about Danimal... He makes Garcia look like a baseball genius in comparison.

It isnt even worth the time to debate someone who obviously has one agenda. All he cares about is coming in this thread to rip on Romo when he blows a save. Can't you get banned for being an obnoxious troll?

for a guy that doesn't know baseball I sure seem to end up being right a lot

You on the other hand the self proclaimed guru of the board made comparisons of Romo to Mariano and such others

Share 49ersWebzone