LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Unless he is full on retard, I'm sure Sabean at least inquired about Hamilton's interest/asking price, and is likely keeping abreast of the situation in the (unlikely) event he could be had for less than market. But knowing that would drag on for a bit and realizing in the end, he could be stuck holding his pecker and not getting Hamilton, Affeldt, Pagan or Scutaro, he did what he had to do.

I seem to remember similar voices saying similar things about letting Beltran walk, and going after Melky and Pagan instead. Hell, I was probably one of them!

Beltran ended up watching us celebrate as we headed off to win another title. Just saying doots, whether you love Sabean, can't stand him or you're somewhere in between (and all are valid perspectives), this isn't his first rodeo. I'd bet good money that he did his due diligence on JH, assessed the chances of him signing here, then went to work getting the band back together.

I agree. I have a hard time believing he didnt at least inquire. It was a position we need and he is good. Honestly If I were Hamilton, why would you want to play in our big park and suffer reduced power numbers and have to cover more ground. If there is a chance, he will sneak in. I just think its more than just Sabs offering him a 3-4 year deal.

And f**k Beltran.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Unless he is full on retard, I'm sure Sabean at least inquired about Hamilton's interest/asking price, and is likely keeping abreast of the situation in the (unlikely) event he could be had for less than market. But knowing that would drag on for a bit and realizing in the end, he could be stuck holding his pecker and not getting Hamilton, Affeldt, Pagan or Scutaro, he did what he had to do.

I seem to remember similar voices saying similar things about letting Beltran walk, and going after Melky and Pagan instead. Hell, I was probably one of them!

Beltran ended up watching us celebrate as we headed off to win another title. Just saying doots, whether you love Sabean, can't stand him or you're somewhere in between (and all are valid perspectives), this isn't his first rodeo. I'd bet good money that he did his due diligence on JH, assessed the chances of him signing here, then went to work getting the band back together.

I agree. I have a hard time believing he didnt at least inquire. It was a position we need and he is good. Honestly If I were Hamilton, why would you want to play in our big park and suffer reduced power numbers and have to cover more ground. If there is a chance, he will sneak in. I just think its more than just Sabs offering him a 3-4 year deal.

And f**k Beltran.

He wouldn't play CF at AT&T and this team does something the Rangers have a ton of trouble doing: they win championships.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM ]
Hamilton >>> Arod, Teixeria, Howard
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
He wouldn't play CF at AT&T and this team does something the Rangers have a ton of trouble doing: they win championships.

Yup, exactly. And he wouldn't sign for $75 million either.
[ Edited by dcsham on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by dcsham:

Yup, exactly. And he wouldn't sign for $75 million either.

We'll see, I don't think it's that far-fetched. If the Rangers sign Greinke, he doesn't have a whole lot of suitors left. Maybe the Phillies and Brewers as darkhorses, but that's about it in my opinion.
Anyone hear that earlier in the meetings Scott Boras said we need a reliever with experience and that Romo wouldn't cut it? He was trying to sell Baer on Jose Valverde apparently. Dude is off his f**king rocker
Anyone hear that earlier in the meetings Scott Boras said we need a reliever with experience and that Romo wouldn't cut it? He was trying to sell Baer on Jose Valverde apparently. Dude is off his f**king rocker

I saw that. I'm so glad Scott is concerned about the Giants. He also told Larry Baer that it's important that he (Baer) be considered a "winner" by the fans, which apparently means signing Valverde.

I think he is on full retard. LOL That was for DC.

Actually, I really doubt Hamilton was ever in the thinking for the Giants. I really believe that Sabeans only agenda was to sign his own players and reward them just like he did Huff after a WS title. I also agree that he could not have let them all walk and be stuck with nothing and lose out on Hamilton.

Having said that I would much prefer Hamilton over Pagan,, Scutaro, and Affeldt for the same money. Just took risky especially given that no one really expected just a 3 yr deal
The Mariners will do the same thing they did with Cliff Lee. Bold move, but when they realize Hamilton cant fix all their problems, and they keep losing, theyll be looking for a trade.
Question.... would you trade Lincecum for Granderson straight up? Both are on final year of contract. Granderson makes 15M per year and Timmy 20M.

I seriously doubt that Timmy will be back after this season as I just dont see the Giants offering him a big long term deal similar to the one he turned down already. So, the question is.... would the Giants be better off with Granderson in LF and use the 5M to get a 5th starter of better off with Timmy?

Just for fun obviously. I dont know if NY would ever do that anyway,

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Question.... would you trade Lincecum for Granderson straight up? Both are on final year of contract. Granderson makes 15M per year and Timmy 20M.

I seriously doubt that Timmy will be back after this season as I just dont see the Giants offering him a big long term deal similar to the one he turned down already. So, the question is.... would the Giants be better off with Granderson in LF and use the 5M to get a 5th starter of better off with Timmy?

I would say yes but I don't think the Yankees would do it
Originally posted by dcsham:

I saw that. I'm so glad Scott is concerned about the Giants. He also told Larry Baer that it's important that he (Baer) be considered a "winner" by the fans, which apparently means signing Valverde.

So f**king funny. Whatever will we do without an "experienced" closer other than win a World Series using Romo?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Yes.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

haha he is realllly reaching on that one
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

haha he is realllly reaching on that one

I heard he just used the Giants situation as an example of an exception when pumping up Soriano's f/a case...
Share 49ersWebzone