LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

haren to nats for 1 year
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Sources: #Rangers, Hamilton making progress. Deal, if reached, likely would be 4 yrs. But still possible another team could beat TEX offer.

I would give him four years

Agreed. What do you think a 4 year contract would cost a team for Hamilton? $100M?

Yeah, probably in that range, and I'd have no qualms about offering him that. Not even one bit.

Totally agree with you. I wouldnt hesitate for one second to sign Hamilton for that. What does concern me is that if we end up signing Swisher, the combined contract of Swish + Pagan will be somewhat close to Hamilton's contract.

And to me, Josh Hamilton + Gregor Blanco > Pagan + Swisher (and thats not even close IMO)
Sources: #Rangers, Hamilton making progress. Deal, if reached, likely would be 4 yrs. But still possible another team could beat TEX offer.

Agreed. What do you think a 4 year contract would cost a team for Hamilton? $100M?

Yeah, probably in that range, and I'd have no qualms about offering him that. Not even one bit.

Totally agree with you. I wouldnt hesitate for one second to sign Hamilton for that. What does concern me is that if we end up signing Swisher, the combined contract of Swish + Pagan will be somewhat close to Hamilton's contract.

And to me, Josh Hamilton + Gregor Blanco > Pagan + Swisher (and thats not even close IMO)

Totally agree. Also looks like Keppinger is in the 2 year/$8 million range, Scutaro for 3/$24 is insane.
Originally posted by jrg:
just read the same tweet. cardinals were in on scutaro..but you guys can have him. isn't the dude 37? 3 year deal for 8 mil per on top of dropping 40 mil on pagan?

I would love to be an agent negotiating against Brian Sabean. Easy money.

Totally agree. Also looks like Keppinger is in the 2 year/$8 million range, Scutaro for 3/$24 is insane.

at that price Keppinger would be so much better for us
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
just read the same tweet. cardinals were in on scutaro..but you guys can have him. isn't the dude 37? 3 year deal for 8 mil per on top of dropping 40 mil on pagan?

In fairness to him, he pretty much has to get these guys. Division rivals are making moves, spending money. Sabs would get killed in the eyes of the fan base if he doesnt sign key last year players or quality replacements. The messed up thing about baseball is there is always someone who WILL pay them that money.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Win a WS title, pay raises for everyone!

Definitely.

8 mil per for Scut

Oh lawd
Sabean was just named BBA's exec. of the year by the way......
Sabean was just named BBA's exec. of the year by the way......

Makes Giants fans mad. Wins world championships.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

In fairness to him, he pretty much has to get these guys. Division rivals are making moves, spending money. Sabs would get killed in the eyes of the fan base if he doesnt sign key last year players or quality replacements. The messed up thing about baseball is there is always someone who WILL pay them that money.

Sabean has NEVER done well when it comes to free agency. His track record is just god awful. I understand where you are coming from but 3 years for Scutaro is crazy. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand.

Sabean has NEVER done well when it comes to free agency. His track record is just god awful. I understand where you are coming from but 3 years for Scutaro is crazy. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand.

A thin second base free agent market doesn't give him much leverage to look elsewhere.
Originally posted by SFrush:

A thin second base free agent market doesn't give him much leverage to look elsewhere.

Obviously I understand that. But giving a 3 year 24+ million dollar deal to a guy who is 37 makes little sense to me. Scutaro had a nice stretch of 2-3 months with the Giants but lets not get carried away here. He was SO wanted by baseball that all Colorado could get was Charley Culberson.

I really want Scutaro back but if I was GM the most I would give him would be 2 years with a club option.
I'd rather let Arias start at 2B full-time then pay Scutaro that much money.

Kelly Johnson and Jeff Keppinger should be looked at as alternatives right now, I would remove that deal for Scutaro off the table. He's going to be ridiculously unproductive in the latter years of that contract.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Omar Vizquel is 45 lol. Just looked that up for the hell of it.

Well we get Scoot back, I'm happy. He might fall off in a year or two but I think he still has some gas in that tank imo. Maybe in the final year he'll just be pinch hitting but we needed to bring him back.

Curious, who's off the books now that was on last year? Rowand was one, right?
Originally posted by Muggins:
Omar Vizquel is 45 lol. Just looked that up for the hell of it.

Well we get Scoot back, I'm happy. He might fall off in a year or two but I think he still has some gas in that tank imo. Maybe in the final year he'll just be pinch hitting but we needed to bring him back.

Curious, who's off the books now that was on last year? Rowand was one, right?

Rowand, Huff, Sanchez, Wilson, .. to name a few off the top of my head.
Share 49ersWebzone