There are 227 users in the forums

What is the toughest major team sport in the world in terms of physical punishment?

What is the toughest major team sport in the world in terms of physical punishment?

get an injury report from a seson of games....not just major injuries...you will see which is more brutal.
v
Originally posted by Jasta:
Played 10 years of Rugby Union, bit of a dabble with league and a few kick arounds of AFL. Only American football I've played is flag so no contact.

Even though I think I can say NFL is definitely the top IMO when it comes to physical punishment. You just have to look at what happens to some players after their careers, the kinds of career ending injuries some players get and the issues with concussions etc. The people who say padding and helmets make NFL players are soft are idiots. It's like the difference between MMA and boxing. Gloves actually end up causing more damage because you can swing harder and cause more internal injuries while breaking less bones/shedding less blood. Helmets and pads are there to protect the tackler... not the tacklee. All the better to pinball someone's brain around or hyperextend their knee. A league or union player making an NFL style hit is going to put them both in hospital.

League comes close but even then the really massive hits are kind of a thing of the past - and a good thing too. You can flatten a guy without nearly killing him and he'll still remember it the next day.

Union is maybe next... a Union scrum is pretty insane - my spine will vouch for that but we don't tackle like morons so really big clashes are rarer.

AFL is possibly the worst for breaks and muscle injuries as they're flailing around a lot but they're endurance players, not power hitters. (Incendentally, all three 'Australian' codes leave NFL for dead when it comes to endurance. That's the biggest difference.)

Haven't got a clue about hockey so I'll leave it off.

Intelligent post.

Hockey is brutal. Its almost like playing American football every other day for 7 months. They get crushed into the boards, take hard falls on ice, get nailed with sticks and pucks, take punches to the head, etc., all with very few days off between games.

From a pure toughness standpoint, hockey players take the cake IMO. They wear a crooked nose and missing front teeth as a badge of honor.
Hockey imo.

Seriously those shoulder charges in that Hockey clip got me fired up!!

Damn I for one am starting to come around and see why the NRL took it out of the game. But those hockey players eating a shoulder . . . . at speed . . . . and then hitting the cold ice! Just makes want the shoulder back in the game!! Brutal BRUTAL!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
football has way more long term, debilitating injuries, I'm sure.
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Jasta:
Played 10 years of Rugby Union, bit of a dabble with league and a few kick arounds of AFL. Only American football I've played is flag so no contact.

Even though I think I can say NFL is definitely the top IMO when it comes to physical punishment. You just have to look at what happens to some players after their careers, the kinds of career ending injuries some players get and the issues with concussions etc. The people who say padding and helmets make NFL players are soft are idiots. It's like the difference between MMA and boxing. Gloves actually end up causing more damage because you can swing harder and cause more internal injuries while breaking less bones/shedding less blood. Helmets and pads are there to protect the tackler... not the tacklee. All the better to pinball someone's brain around or hyperextend their knee. A league or union player making an NFL style hit is going to put them both in hospital.

League comes close but even then the really massive hits are kind of a thing of the past - and a good thing too. You can flatten a guy without nearly killing him and he'll still remember it the next day.

Union is maybe next... a Union scrum is pretty insane - my spine will vouch for that but we don't tackle like morons so really big clashes are rarer.

AFL is possibly the worst for breaks and muscle injuries as they're flailing around a lot but they're endurance players, not power hitters. (Incendentally, all three 'Australian' codes leave NFL for dead when it comes to endurance. That's the biggest difference.)

Haven't got a clue about hockey so I'll leave it off.

Intelligent post.

Hockey is brutal. Its almost like playing American football every other day for 7 months. They get crushed into the boards, take hard falls on ice, get nailed with sticks and pucks, take punches to the head, etc., all with very few days off between games.

From a pure toughness standpoint, hockey players take the cake IMO. They wear a crooked nose and missing front teeth as a badge of honor.
Ice hockey or normal hockey, the weapons are the sticks so cant compare, but normal
hockey players dont wear pads or protective armour except the goalie so they are more prone to injury than the padded up ice hockeyers.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
I wonder what David {cement } Gillesbie ,Former Canterbury Bankstown Foward would say
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1524889/video-mark-carroll-v-paul-harragon/#ooid=V1M211YjoxWkuSHbni4OutdhbjvFIMF3
At the time these two number 10"s (prop fowards) were at each other to gain the Australian team Position for the upcoming test
Enjoy the video on this page
[ Edited by JoNeo on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:27 AM ]

No other team sport comes close the physical punishment of Rugby. The schedule is grueling, its explosive, need cardio, need mental toughness, and just pure brute animal. Hockey and NFL players would literally be killed in either forms of rugby especially at NRL level. Really just the best freak athletes from around the world.
I got to check this rugby thing out. Where do I start?
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
It's American football. Rugby can get rough too but only when there are illegal hits. Everyone is getting some sort of contact on any given play in American football. Plus the sport, at least in the professional level, has the most dangerously honed athletes in the game and the sport gives them weapons (helmets).

Exactly, and head shots are much more common in football than rugby.

My order;

Football (american)
Hockey
Rugby
The hits in the nfl are more violent than in rugby mostly because in rugby requires you to wrap. But hard to argue against playing offense and defense in a non stop flowing physical game with less protection..... Imagine the cal/Stanford play for 80 minutes.

Plus now think now with the concussion protocols and rules in the NFL that "hits are more violent" in the NFL arguemeant will fade away....
Plus in the NFL you have a 53 man roster to cover 22 starting positions. In rugby there's 22 on a roster to cover 15 positions. And if you're subbed out you can't go back in. (Unless it's blood time, etc.)
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jan 16, 2016 at 4:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone