There are 230 users in the forums

What is the toughest major team sport in the world in terms of physical punishment?

What is the toughest major team sport in the world in terms of physical punishment?

Let's vote on it.
Checkers
Dodgeball.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
hockey is ghey therefore football

and Aliens
American Football is a very tough team sport. Now MMA or Boxing that is an individual event. But for team sports it's tough to beat out the NFL on physicality. Crazy enough it is becomming more of a sissy league. Don't hit high, don't hit low, don't hit in middle, don't hit too hard, don't hit a defensless receiver, no hands on the facemask, nothing at all around the head area even if just a glancing blow accidentally. It's not even "football" anymore the way I remember it.... I don't think Ronnie Lott could even play anymore in this era. He would be kicked out of the league. They have taken a lot away from football IMO. It was always meant to be a physical sport. How long before it turns into 2 hand tag?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
American Football is a very tough team sport. Now MMA or Boxing that is an individual event. But for team sports it's tough to beat out the NFL on physicality. Crazy enough it is becomming more of a sissy league. Don't hit high, don't hit low, don't hit in middle, don't hit too hard, don't hit a defensless receiver, no hands on the facemask, nothing at all around the head area even if just a glancing blow accidentally. It's not even "football" anymore the way I remember it.... I don't think Ronnie Lott could even play anymore in this era. He would be kicked out of the league. They have taken a lot away from football IMO. It was always meant to be a physical sport. How long before it turns into 2 hand tag?

I actually like the rules. Dont want to see my players dying or getting brain damage later on in life. Cause you know, there is such thing as life AFTER football. Nobody plays forever. No matter how many times Favre comes back.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I think NFL has the most athletic freaks out of all the sports mentioned, players are bigger and faster than ever in any sport that's one reason why Id pick it

But in general id still probably go with football although there could be some nasty hits and falls in hockey especially with that ice
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I actually like the rules. Dont want to see my players dying or getting brain damage later on in life. Cause you know, there is such thing as life AFTER football. Nobody plays forever. No matter how many times Favre comes back.

I don't like the rules. There used to be something called "defense" in the NFL. Now it's not allowed. And scores are supposed to be 60 to 50. That's arena ball. Not traditional NFL.

There are inherant risks in the game. The players know that. It's a physical game. They get paid millions and take a risk. If they don't like it they can be a an accountant or something.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM ]
NFL cant hold rugbys jock in terms of punishment.
pron

Originally posted by ImaMod:
I think NFL has the most athletic freaks out of all the sports mentioned, players are bigger and faster than ever in any sport that's one reason why Id pick it

But in general id still probably go with football although there could be some nasty hits and falls in hockey especially with that ice

Meh. With all that gear, they shouldn't feel anything. Their crappy headgear is a different story.
[ Edited by YungAce on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM ]
Originally posted by YungAce:
Meh. With all that gear, they shouldn't feel anything. They're crappy headgear is a different story.

Their*

I think they do that on purpose to make the players look tougher, lol
It's American football. Rugby can get rough too but only when there are illegal hits. Everyone is getting some sort of contact on any given play in American football. Plus the sport, at least in the professional level, has the most dangerously honed athletes in the game and the sport gives them weapons (helmets).
Rugby League
lol Rugby is the NFL without padding. i dont see how that didnt get every single vote...
Share 49ersWebzone