LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

BCS National Championship

Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
If the idea of the BCS is to get the best two teams in the National Title Game then it did exactly what it was supposed to do. In fact, like it or not the BCS has typically gotten the best 2 teams in college FB to decide the National Championship. I want a playoff system as much as the next guy but I also think its a joke that people would have automatically have eliminated Bama and say the game should never have happened. Alabama is CLEARLY the best team in football this season and very deserving of the National Title.

Wrong

they got it right this year
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If the idea of the BCS is to get the best two teams in the National Title Game then it did exactly what it was supposed to do. In fact, like it or not the BCS has typically gotten the best 2 teams in college FB to decide the National Championship. I want a playoff system as much as the next guy but I also think its a joke that people would have automatically have eliminated Bama and say the game should never have happened. Alabama is CLEARLY the best team in football this season and very deserving of the National Title.

Wrong

WRONG. They abandoned their own precedent about a team not getting two bites at the apple. The only scenario in the current BCS where the Championship game "gets it right" are ones where 1) there are 2, and only 2, undefeated teams at the end of the season. 2) the two teams have the best records and no other team has equal records to them (ie, an undefeated team plays a one loss team, and #3 has 2 losses). ALL other games, by implication, got it wrong bc it was done subjectively.
[ Edited by aman49 on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM ]

Wrong

WRONG. They abandoned their own precedent about a team not getting two bites at the apple.

I saw the BEST 2 teams play each other.

Wrong

WRONG. They abandoned their own precedent about a team not getting two bites at the apple.

The idea of "best" is a misnomer unless teams complete head to head in a playoff. For example, in the NFL, the Super Bowl champion is RARELY the "best" team. It's usually the team that peaks in the playoffs.

I will accept the 4 team playoff as a start, bc I know it'll be so wildly popular that it will grow from there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/conference-commissioners-open-to-big-bcs-changes-including-4-team-playoff/2012/01/10/gIQAE2ntoP_story.html
[ Edited by aman49 on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM ]
WRONG. They abandoned their own precedent about a team not getting two bites at the apple. The only scenario in the current BCS where the Championship game "gets it right" are ones where 1) there are 2, and only 2, undefeated teams at the end of the season. 2) the two teams have the best records and no other team has equal records to them (ie, an undefeated team plays a one loss team, and #3 has 2 losses). ALL other games, by implication, got it wrong bc it was done subjectively.

so who else was undefeated other than LSU in the top 10. i thought the BCS NC was to pin the #1 vs #2 at the end of the season. did I miss something where this scenario didn't play out?

Wrong

The idea of "best" is a misnomer unless teams complete head to head in a playoff. For example, in the NFL, the Super Bowl champion is RARELY the "best" team. It's usually the team that peaks in the playoffs.

I will accept the 4 team playoff as a start, bc I know it'll be so wildly popular that it will grow from there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/conference-commissioners-open-to-big-bcs-changes-including-4-team-playoff/2012/01/10/gIQAE2ntoP_story.html

obviously playoffs are the best.

The BCS is an upgrade from the system before so its not THAT bad compared to back in the day

Wrong

The BCS is an upgrade from the system before so its not THAT bad compared to back in the day

Sure. Just like how "separate but equal" was an improvement over slavery.

Before somebody jumps in with the "oh aman hates the SEC, that's why he's saying this!" stuff, let me point out the SEC has been screwed by the BCS before too... See: Auburn in 2004.

Wrong

Sure. Just like how "separate but equal" was an improvement over slavery.

Before somebody jumps in with the "oh aman hates the SEC, that's why he's saying this!" stuff, let me point out the SEC has been screwed by the BCS before too... See: Auburn in 2004.

comparing race relations to College Football.........
Question of the day...how would bama's D fare against the most dysfunctional NFL offense today.

Wrong

Brilliant post. NOT

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Question of the day...how would bama's D fare against the most dysfunctional NFL offense today.

Considering they will have 3 or 4 first rounders and around 6 guys taken in the first 3 rds I think they could do pretty well against an offense like Jacksonville. However a great passing team could shred them right now.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM ]

Considering they will have 3 or 4 first rounders and around 6 guys taken in the first 3 rds I think they could do pretty well against an offense like Jacksonville. However a great passing team could shred them right now.
Oh god, not this again... reminds me of people saying the 2001 Miami Hurricanes could beat the Bengals that year.

NFL is a different level of competition. The 0-16 Lions of 2008 would beat the best college ftbl team of all time by probably 40+ points.

Oh god, not this again... reminds me of people saying the 2001 Miami Hurricanes could beat the Bengals that year.

NFL is a different level of competition. The 0-16 Lions of 2008 would beat the best college ftbl team of all time by probably 40+ points.

The backups would win by 40+.

That being said, I still absolutely believe Bama and LSU would kick the s**t out of Stanford and OK State.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Alabama would be down 40-0 at halftime. They'd be lucky to end the game losing by less than 70.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Alabama would be down 40-0 at halftime. They'd be lucky to end the game losing by less than 70.

Word. No college team stands a chance against any NFL team.

In other news that was the most boring NC game I've ever seen
Share 49ersWebzone