LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

The Masters thread

Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
How much longer does Tiger have to suck before people stop talking about him? And golf for that matter. Has there ever been a more boring game with a has been get so much attention? And yes, it's not a sport, it's a game. It might be fun to play, that doesn't make it interesting to watch.

You obviously suck at golf. People who are inept at the game always say it isnt a sport and its boring. LOL As for boring to watch.. well tell that to the millions of people who will be glued to their TVs tomorrow to see if Phil can win his 4th green jacket.

I'm sure I would suck at golf seeing as how I've never had any desire to play, but nice attempt to insult me for having a opinion. As for millions of people, well I don't base my opinion on what others do. Millions more people watch American Idol and that sucks even worse. Still boring, still not a sport.

This.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The temper tantrum was a disappointment.

Throwing his clubs and kicking his clubs all over the course. He looks like a spoiled baby. Pretty immature behavior for a 30 something guy. Just makes him look stupid IMO.

This guy is really living off his past reputation. He hasn't won may big ones in years. He was a lot better before he injured the knee, back and kept having surgeries and got cleaned out in the divorce. What has he done since? He's a shell of the former player he once was.

And what the hell is all this change your swing, change your short up and down game and change your putting? He was the best in the world. So he tears down and changes absolutely everything in his game. Why? He got worse....

You have absolutely no clue about golf or any concept of the game so move on to another thread. He's back up to the 6th ranked player in the world obviously you don't pay attention to the sport.

Faldo the analyst and many others have been saying exactly what I said. Tiger was at the top of his game and fired his swing coach, caddy, all his handlers and surrounding people. He then had affairs with dozens of chicks, got divorced, injured his knee and has never been the same. He wasn't fighting for #6 back in the day. He was #1 by far and whoever was #2 was so far behind him it wasn't worth mentioning. Now he struggles in major after major (tournaments he used to dominate) and people still think he is the best.

I didn't say he wasn't a good or historically good player. He is and was. He's just not as good as he could be / should be if he kept the winning swing coach and caddy and all the handlers that had him winning. He made tons of changes and got worse. Not better.

Going from #1 to #6 and struggling in every major is WORSE. Tell me how it's better? He hasn't won a MAJOR in years....

If you paid attention to the sport you'd kow that he fired both his caddy and swing coach after this went down. Once again proving you pay 0 attention to the sport. People act like winning a major is osme cakewalk its you vs. 96-144 of the worlds best players. nobody ever says s**t about Phil winning major Oh thats right people tune into golf to see Tiger. I've never turned on the TV saying "man I can't wait to watch Louis Oosthuzen(Sp?) make a sunday charge"
How much longer does Tiger have to suck before people stop talking about him? And golf for that matter. Has there ever been a more boring game with a has been get so much attention? And yes, it's not a sport, it's a game. It might be fun to play, that doesn't make it interesting to watch.

You obviously suck at golf. People who are inept at the game always say it isnt a sport and its boring. LOL As for boring to watch.. well tell that to the millions of people who will be glued to their TVs tomorrow to see if Phil can win his 4th green jacket.

I'm sure I would suck at golf seeing as how I've never had any desire to play, but nice attempt to insult me for having a opinion. As for millions of people, well I don't base my opinion on what others do. Millions more people watch American Idol and that sucks even worse. Still boring, still not a sport.

Pretty funny that someone who has no desire for golf and doesnt think its a sport spends time posting in this thread. Golf takes a TON of hand eye coordination and more mental focus than probably any other sport. Someone who has never played the game like you wouldnt understand that.
Sad how this thread is spiraling downwards into a debate about Tiger's current skill level and whether or not Golf is a great game/sport.........

Tiger says he had to make certain changes in order to prolong his career due to the stress his old swing was placing on his body, specifically his left knee. That he has come back with his second complete change of his swing to the level needed to win a PGA event is impressive. It is not surprising that he is not so comfortable with the swing that he reverted to old habits under the intense pressure of a Major, specifically the Masters, is not a huge surprise. HUGE galleries that are very close with holes that practically stack on top of each other - crowds reacting to another players shot turning quiet into a ROAR in a split second. Lightning fast greens. Cameras EVERYWHERE. (did you see the ones they had mounted to the trees? )

I doubt I would be able to make a swing decent enough to drive a ball straight if my life depended on it on that course in front of that crowd.

Tiger screwed up his private life and he has clearly paid a high price for it (and is continuing to do so). Part of me is hoping to see him win, yet another part says "Kharma's a b****" when he screws up . He may or may not ever get back to being a serious contender for another Major, but he really is an amazing golfer.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Pretty funny that someone who has no desire for golf and doesnt think its a sport spends time posting in this thread. Golf takes a TON of hand eye coordination and more mental focus than probably any other sport. Someone who has never played the game like you wouldnt understand that.

So does pool. Still not a sport. The only difference between bowling and golf is the amount of money behind it as far as being a sport is concerned. Bowling was once featured on the Wide World of Sports, now with no money no one would call it a sport. We've had this discussion before. Also I didn't spend time posting in here until you made a response to something I posted over a year ago. I actually clicked on this by accident when I saw your response.
[ Edited by TX9R on Apr 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

That's his M.O., sir... don't sweat it. Your opinion is shared by many. My brother earned his tour card a few years back, and even he would never consider himself an athlete. Hard to believe Golf is comprised of athletes when the likes of John Daily, for a time, could be a top golfer while drinking and smoking on the course.

Regardless, as an activity that many can relate to, watching the last round of a major golf tournament can be fun.
Originally posted by okdkid:

That's his M.O., sir... don't sweat it. Your opinion is shared by many. My brother earned his tour card a few years back, and even he would never consider himself an athlete. Hard to believe Golf is comprised of athletes when the likes of John Daily, for a time, could be a top golfer while drinking and smoking on the course.

Regardless, as an activity that many can relate to, watching the last round of a major golf tournament can be fun.

LOL Coming from you. The guy who called Posey a p***y cuz he came off the bag. The guy who said the NY Giants were not playoff worthy after they lost a regular season game to the Saints. You have zero credibility in this webzone I assure you.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Sad how this thread is spiraling downwards into a debate about Tiger's current skill level and whether or not Golf is a great game/sport.........

Tiger says he had to make certain changes in order to prolong his career due to the stress his old swing was placing on his body, specifically his left knee. That he has come back with his second complete change of his swing to the level needed to win a PGA event is impressive. It is not surprising that he is not so comfortable with the swing that he reverted to old habits under the intense pressure of a Major, specifically the Masters, is not a huge surprise. HUGE galleries that are very close with holes that practically stack on top of each other - crowds reacting to another players shot turning quiet into a ROAR in a split second. Lightning fast greens. Cameras EVERYWHERE. (did you see the ones they had mounted to the trees? )

I doubt I would be able to make a swing decent enough to drive a ball straight if my life depended on it on that course in front of that crowd.

Tiger screwed up his private life and he has clearly paid a high price for it (and is continuing to do so). Part of me is hoping to see him win, yet another part says "Kharma's a b****" when he screws up . He may or may not ever get back to being a serious contender for another Major, but he really is an amazing golfer.

People made the thread about Tiger (aka Tiger Woods) even though he doesn't win anymore.... Not majors anyway.

So does pool. Still not a sport. The only difference between bowling and golf is the amount of money behind it as far as being a sport is concerned. Bowling was once featured on the Wide World of Sports, now with no money no one would call it a sport. We've had this discussion before. Also I didn't spend time posting in here until you made a response to something I posted over a year ago. I actually clicked on this by accident when I saw your response.

Again, when you havent played golf or have no clue about it your opinion really means little. Try walking 7000 yards on a hilly course and then hit a golf ball 300 yards to a fairway 30 yards wide and tell me it doesnt take athletic ability. Anyway, debating this with you is pointless.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]

Throwing his clubs and kicking his clubs all over the course. He looks like a spoiled baby. Pretty immature behavior for a 30 something guy. Just makes him look stupid IMO.

This guy is really living off his past reputation. He hasn't won may big ones in years. He was a lot better before he injured the knee, back and kept having surgeries and got cleaned out in the divorce. What has he done since? He's a shell of the former player he once was.

And what the hell is all this change your swing, change your short up and down game and change your putting? He was the best in the world. So he tears down and changes absolutely everything in his game. Why? He got worse....

You have absolutely no clue about golf or any concept of the game so move on to another thread. He's back up to the 6th ranked player in the world obviously you don't pay attention to the sport.

Faldo the analyst and many others have been saying exactly what I said. Tiger was at the top of his game and fired his swing coach, caddy, all his handlers and surrounding people. He then had affairs with dozens of chicks, got divorced, injured his knee and has never been the same. He wasn't fighting for #6 back in the day. He was #1 by far and whoever was #2 was so far behind him it wasn't worth mentioning. Now he struggles in major after major (tournaments he used to dominate) and people still think he is the best.

I didn't say he wasn't a good or historically good player. He is and was. He's just not as good as he could be / should be if he kept the winning swing coach and caddy and all the handlers that had him winning. He made tons of changes and got worse. Not better.

Going from #1 to #6 and struggling in every major is WORSE. Tell me how it's better? He hasn't won a MAJOR in years....

If you paid attention to the sport you'd kow that he fired both his caddy and swing coach after this went down. Once again proving you pay 0 attention to the sport. People act like winning a major is osme cakewalk its you vs. 96-144 of the worlds best players. nobody ever says s**t about Phil winning major Oh thats right people tune into golf to see Tiger. I've never turned on the TV saying "man I can't wait to watch Louis Oosthuzen(Sp?) make a sunday charge"

I watch it just to watch the sport. I don't tune in to watch Tiger. But apparently ESPN thinks everybody is like you. And Golf Channel too. Because they spend 50 minutes of the hour saying "this is what Tiger did on hole 3, this is what Tiger did on hole 7, this is what Tiger did on 15, this is what Tiger did on 17." Then they go from analyst to analyst saying "why do you think Tiger is struggling?" "What's wrong with his game?" And talk about that for another half hour.

Then and only then with the final 10 minutes remaining of the hour they tell you he's 10 shots back, completely out of contention and can't win the tournament. And with the final 10 minutes they will show you highlights of the true "leaders." And show you what they did and what their scores were.

And if you knew anything about golf as you claim to you would know that being #6 in the world for Michael Jordan in his prime is a horrendous failure. This guy is the Michael Jordan of golf and you are so proud he is #6 and never wins majors anymore. It's like Michael Jordan never winning the Championship anymore and being the #6 best player in the NBA IN HIS PRIME!
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM ]

I watch it just to watch the sport. I don't tune in to watch Tiger. But apparently ESPN thinks everybody is like you. And Golf Channel too. Because they spend 50 minutes of the hour saying "this is what Tiger did on hole 3, this is what Tiger did on hole 7, this is what Tiger did on 15, this is what Tiger did on 17." Then they go from analyst to analyst saying "why do you think Tiger is struggling?" "What's wrong with his game?" And talk about that for another half hour.

Then and only then with the final 10 minutes remaining of the hour they tell you he's 10 shots back, completely out of contention and can't win the tournament. And with the final 10 minutes they will show you highlights of the true "leaders." And show you what they did and what their scores were.

And if you knew anything about golf as you claim to you would know that being #6 in the world for Michael Jordan in his prime is a horrendous failure. This guy is the Michael Jordan of golf and you are so proud he is #6 an never wins majors anymore. It's like Michael Jordan never winning the Championship anymore and being the #6 best player in the NBA IN HIS PRIME!

Originally posted by sincalfaithful

And if you knew anything about golf as you claim to you would know that being #6 in the world for Michael Jordan in his prime is a horrendous failure. This guy is the Michael Jordan of golf and you are so proud he is #6 an never wins majors anymore. It's like Michael Jordan never winning the Championship anymore and being the #6 best player in the NBA IN HIS PRIME!

I agree that too much attention is given to Tiger when he is out of a tournament. Its all about the ratings and the networks are never going to ignore Tiger even if he is 10 strokes out of the lead. I do think Tiger is still a force in the game though even if he hasnt won a major recently. There have been 14 different winners in the last 14 majors and no one will dominate golf like he once did. I would be surprised though if he didnt at least win one more.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM ]

Originally posted by sincalfaithful

I agree that too much attention is given to Tiger when he is out of a tournament. Its all about the ratings and the networks are never going to ignore Tiger even if he is 10 strokes out of the lead. I do think Tiger is still a force in the game though even if he hasnt won a major recently. There have been 14 different winners in the last 14 majors and no one will dominate golf like he once did. I would be surprised though if he didnt at least win one more.

I think he will win again. I for the first time have doubts about him getting from 14 to Nicholas's 18. He might not do it. Injuries, affairs, divorce and a messed up head in combination with swing coach changes and caddy changes have taken him down several notches. If he kept everything the same he would beat it. Now I don't know.

I do believe he won't dominate as before.

And yes too much attention is paid to him by media and WZers.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
I think he will win again. I for the first time have doubts about him getting from 14 to Nicholas's 18. He might not do it. Injuries, affairs, divorce and a messed up head in combination with swing coach changes and caddy changes have taken him down several notches. If he kept everything the same he would beat it. Now I don't know.

I dont think he will beat Nicklaus. I would guess 1 or 2 more.

I dont think he will beat Nicklaus. I would guess 1 or 2 more.

That would be my guess. I think he will come up short now. It's about longevity. Too many changes and too many injuries for him for longevity.

And if you knew anything about golf as you claim to you would know that being #6 in the world for Michael Jordan in his prime is a horrendous failure. This guy is the Michael Jordan of golf and you are so proud he is #6 and never wins majors anymore. It's like Michael Jordan never winning the Championship anymore and being the #6 best player in the NBA IN HIS PRIME!

Too way different sports Jordan didn't carry the Bulls by himself. He had one of the top 50 players to ever play the game alongside him his entire career. Basketball relies on a human element whereas golf you play the course. There were plenty of times that the Bulls won and Jordan would shoot under 40%. If you hit only 40% of the GIR you won't break par in any tournament let alone Augusta. As for the coverage that he gets it's because he's still the most popular golfer on the face of the planet. If bubba Watson had the divorce/affair that Tiger had nobody would give a f**k
Share 49ersWebzone