LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The Masters thread

Originally posted by crzy:
I don't understand how golfers get hurt since I don't consider them athletes.

I guess it depends on your definition of what an athlete is. If it is simply how fast you can run or jump then obviously they arent. If it is having amazing hand eye coordination and being mentally focused to pull off shots under pressure then they are for sure.

I believe that golfers are athletes. Now, I am biased because I am a golfer and know how difficult the game is. As far as injuries go.. try hitting golf balls every single day and walking tough long hilly courses and tell me again that you dont see how injuries are possible. There is SO much strain on your back, knees, shoulder, etc.. that I dont see how you CANT see that.

Question.. do you consider a hockey goalie an athlete? They dont skate and basically just use their great hand eye coordination. What about a major league pitcher? There is no running or off the chart physical prowess involved. They simply repeat their motion and throw a ball. I believe they are all athletes because of the ability to perform a physical talent.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I guess it depends on your definition of what an athlete is. If it is simply how fast you can run or jump then obviously they arent. If it is having amazing hand eye coordination and being mentally focused to pull off shots under pressure then they are for sure.

I believe that golfers are athletes. Now, I am biased because I am a golfer and know how difficult the game is. As far as injuries go.. try hitting golf balls every single day and walking tough long hilly courses and tell me again that you dont see how injuries are possible. There is SO much strain on your back, knees, shoulder, etc.. that I dont see how you CANT see that.

Question.. do you consider a hockey goalie an athlete? They dont skate and basically just use their great hand eye coordination. What about a major league pitcher? There is no running or off the chart physical prowess involved. They simply repeat their motion and throw a ball. I believe they are all athletes because of the ability to perform a physical talent.

Because something is difficult does not make it athletic.

Personally, I think something is less athletic when a 17 year-old and a 50 year-old can compete with a 21-35 year-old.

I bet more of the population can play golf well than the number of people who can compete as a pitcher at a high level. I think athleticism includes a lot of natural ability combined with skill can turn that "athlete" into being successful at most "sports".
[ Edited by Joecool on May 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
How much longer does Tiger have to suck before people stop talking about him? And golf for that matter. Has there ever been a more boring game with a has been get so much attention? And yes, it's not a sport, it's a game. It might be fun to play, that doesn't make it interesting to watch.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Because something is difficult does not make it athletic.

Personally, I think something is less athletic when a 17 year-old and a 50 year-old can compete with a 21-35 year-old.

Over the long haul a 50 year old could never compete and be successful with a golfer in their 20s or 30s. It just doesnt happen. However, over 4 days anything can happen but it almost never does. Compete- sure. Win - hardly ever.

I think this always comes down to this. People who dont golf or cant play the game well always say that golfers arent athletes. People who are very good at the game believe they are.
Tiger currently 3 back of the leaders with an even par for the 1st round. He bogeyed the 17th and 18th.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Tiger is donezo. He wont win this s**t.
Lol someone is smoking crack the Masters is way bigger than Tiger.
Originally posted by TX9R:
How much longer does Tiger have to suck before people stop talking about him? And golf for that matter. Has there ever been a more boring game with a has been get so much attention? And yes, it's not a sport, it's a game. It might be fun to play, that doesn't make it interesting to watch.

oops
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM ]
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
i don't think he's faking.. but at the same time i think he's using it as an excuse

he'd rather quit than look bad playing in one of the biggest tourney's..

he should just take a year off and get right

------

a lot of people are saying his time frame is closing in on him.. i don't believe that.. how old is tiger? if old fogie seniors can play this game.. why are people already giving up on him?

oops
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM ]
Tiger was very inconsistent today. Struck the ball well at times and put terrible swings on the ball at times. Oh well I look for Westwood to gag like always and Tiger/Phil/Rory will make a run to get ready for moving day Saturday.

The temper tantrum was a disappointment.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Freddy you sucked balls today :(
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Throwing his clubs and kicking his clubs all over the course. He looks like a spoiled baby. Pretty immature behavior for a 30 something guy. Just makes him look stupid IMO.

This guy is really living off his past reputation. He hasn't won may big ones in years. He was a lot better before he injured the knee, back and kept having surgeries and got cleaned out in the divorce. What has he done since? He's a shell of the former player he once was.

And what the hell is all this change your swing, change your short up and down game and change your putting? He was the best in the world. So he tears down and changes absolutely everything in his game. Why? He got worse....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Throwing his clubs and kicking his clubs all over the course. He looks like a spoiled baby. Pretty immature behavior for a 30 something guy. Just makes him look stupid IMO.

This guy is really living off his past reputation. He hasn't won may big ones in years. He was a lot better before he injured the knee, back and kept having surgeries and got cleaned out in the divorce. What has he done since? He's a shell of the former player he once was.

And what the hell is all this change your swing, change your short up and down game and change your putting? He was the best in the world. So he tears down and changes absolutely everything in his game. Why? He got worse....

You have absolutely no clue about golf or any concept of the game so move on to another thread. He's back up to the 6th ranked player in the world obviously you don't pay attention to the sport.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You have absolutely no clue about golf or any concept of the game so move on to another thread. He's back up to the 6th ranked player in the world obviously you don't pay attention to the sport.

Exactly. Tiger just dominated at Bay Hill a couple of weeks ago. Obviously San Diego doesnt follow golf and only pays attention 4 weeks a year during the majors.
Share 49ersWebzone