LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

***Unofficial Pacman vs Clottey***

Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Think about this.

What was Clotteys thinking here? He knew he was far behind. He knew he needed knock downs, and more than just one.

So why not let the hands go?

He was scared. Plain and simple.

So I don't know why some people say Manny was not hurting him. The proof is in the pudding. At the end of the day, something Manny did to Clottey convinced him not to trade power punches with him.

Exactly. He got a taste of Manny's power, and even though he was landing some decent shots here and there, he was afraid to go after him because he knew he would get blasted.

He was trying to see if Manny would get tired after missing alot of shots early. After that didn't work he got discouraged and opted just to survive. It got to the point were Manny was getting sloppy and Clottey had openings but by then he had lost the will to win the fight.

I don't think so. Manny does not get tired, Clottey's camp knew that. Manny has too much natural stamina and insane work ethic to ever get tired in a 12 rounder.

Nah.

I truly believe that Clottey went into this fight with only 1 question and 2 plans.

A. Determine if such a small guy really has power that can affect me, if not; go for broke as that is my only chance to win.

B. Determine if such a small guy really has power that can affect me, if so; survive the 12 rounds, go home, count money.

Now, I do agree with you that they did have those options for Clottey, but it's also not as easy as A and B.

For him to pull off option A, you're asking a guy to change his fighting style completely. To switch from defensive to aggressive is incredibly hard to do, especially the amount of quickness he'd have to develop. There was no way he would've lasted more than 2 rounds if he'd gone that route (play into Manny's game).

As for option B, I think he figured that out after round 10 and took it easy b/c Manny clearly wasn't gonna try to knock him out with the match clearly won (not to mention, for those ppl who thought manny didn't hurt him, look at how Clottey changed his guard position after the sixth round. He went from straight up covering his face to only covering his jaw b/c he couldn't take getting hit in the sides anymore).

Overall, I only had one complaint on Clottey and that was if you're training to fight a quick guy who clearly has strength, why don't you counterpunch? He plays defensively, you'd think he was a better counterpuncher.

I loved the match, but on a side note, who didn't enjoy the double-sided head punch Manny threw? Everyone at the house party I went to were dying laughing! I wanna know if someone could make a gif of that with manny in his Wack-a-Pac costume
Originally posted by glorydayz:
You guys are funny, everyone wants to dance around the fact that this fight was fixed from the gate! Now watch Shane Mosley come out and do the same thing with Mayweather, then comes the Mega Fight!

This is WWF wrestling at it's best!

No way Clottey does that and then smiles afterwards and hugs steroid boy...

Steroid boy.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Think about this.

What was Clotteys thinking here? He knew he was far behind. He knew he needed knock downs, and more than just one.

So why not let the hands go?

He was scared. Plain and simple.

So I don't know why some people say Manny was not hurting him. The proof is in the pudding. At the end of the day, something Manny did to Clottey convinced him not to trade power punches with him.

Exactly. He got a taste of Manny's power, and even though he was landing some decent shots here and there, he was afraid to go after him because he knew he would get blasted.

He was trying to see if Manny would get tired after missing alot of shots early. After that didn't work he got discouraged and opted just to survive. It got to the point were Manny was getting sloppy and Clottey had openings but by then he had lost the will to win the fight.

I don't think so. Manny does not get tired, Clottey's camp knew that. Manny has too much natural stamina and insane work ethic to ever get tired in a 12 rounder.

Nah.

I truly believe that Clottey went into this fight with only 1 question and 2 plans.

A. Determine if such a small guy really has power that can affect me, if not; go for broke as that is my only chance to win.

B. Determine if such a small guy really has power that can affect me, if so; survive the 12 rounds, go home, count money.

Now, I do agree with you that they did have those options for Clottey, but it's also not as easy as A and B.

For him to pull off option A, you're asking a guy to change his fighting style completely. To switch from defensive to aggressive is incredibly hard to do, especially the amount of quickness he'd have to develop. There was no way he would've lasted more than 2 rounds if he'd gone that route (play into Manny's game).

As for option B, I think he figured that out after round 10 and took it easy b/c Manny clearly wasn't gonna try to knock him out with the match clearly won (not to mention, for those ppl who thought manny didn't hurt him, look at how Clottey changed his guard position after the sixth round. He went from straight up covering his face to only covering his jaw b/c he couldn't take getting hit in the sides anymore).

Overall, I only had one complaint on Clottey and that was if you're training to fight a quick guy who clearly has strength, why don't you counterpunch? He plays defensively, you'd think he was a better counterpuncher.

I loved the match, but on a side note, who didn't enjoy the double-sided head punch Manny threw? Everyone at the house party I went to were dying laughing! I wanna know if someone could make a gif of that with manny in his Wack-a-Pac costume

I thought that he was a good counter puncher as well coming into this fight. I think the volume punching just overwhelmed him.
You guys are funny, everyone wants to dance around the fact that this fight was fixed from the gate! Now watch Shane Mosley come out and do the same thing with Mayweather, then comes the Mega Fight!

I wouldn't put it past Arum. That f**ker is shady.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Not beyond belief thats for sure. The money that would have been lost if Manny had been beaten is staggering.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Just got back from Dallas awesome matches and cool place to chill.
My take on the fight was Clottey looked big coming in very well hydrated. He had awesome power on Jabs and uppercuts. I think he was just overwhelmed by a such a soft spoken laid back flip can move and throw the dawgs like Manny can. Clottey tried to open up a couple of times, but it went on a halt quickly. He wasn't liking the combos and body punches when he tried opening up. Overall Manny just fought the way he knows and Clottey's defense and abs maybe the best in the game. I know I would be pi**sing blood if I got blasted to the body like that.

Clottey fought the exact same way against Cotto
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

i wonder how much that fool made for having the fight in texas.. clottey or mayweather.. it doesn't matter who pac fought.. that fool got PAID $$$$
I never knew Pacquio failed a drug test

Lampley was hilarious.....Bang Bang!!!!

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Who'd win?

BJ Penn vs. Pacquaio in a boxing match?

BJ's just a little bigger than Manny at 5'9, 155.

Noone ever wins the standup battle with BJ in the octagon.

Anyone that leaves a fight with BJ ends up with their face all bustup :)

I know though..BJ would tire out quickly and Manny's speed would be too much for him.

Come on Glory, you should know this.

BJ wins if the fight is on the ground. Pac wins if it stays standing up. Simple as that.

Oh I eluded to that with my last sentence...wasn't serious man...just so boring in the MMA world.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Is it a requirement if you're not a Pacman fan you have to dislike him and make some kind of hater excuse on why he won? I guess in a way it's Clottey's fault that he showed maturity and class by congratulating his opponent in his victory. I guess the correct procedure was to cause a ruckus and pull out his gat and start busting caps on asses.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Who'd win?

BJ Penn vs. Pacquaio in a boxing match?

BJ's just a little bigger than Manny at 5'9, 155.

Noone ever wins the standup battle with BJ in the octagon.

Anyone that leaves a fight with BJ ends up with their face all bustup :)

I know though..BJ would tire out quickly and Manny's speed would be too much for him.

Come on Glory, you should know this.

BJ wins if the fight is on the ground. Pac wins if it stays standing up. Simple as that.

Oh I eluded to that with my last sentence...wasn't serious man...just so boring in the MMA world.

True, but check the thread when u get a chance. A couple of updates from today.
Just got back from Dallas. An AMAZING weekend. Met Journey lead singer Arnel Pineda who sang the national anthem. Some cats within the Pac entourage asked me about my Pacman shirt and ended up hanging out with a few of them. Was able to hang out with a VJ from MTV Asia who was rocking the limited "51" t-shirt wasn't supposed to be unveiled until after Manny's win.

Met Kelly Pavlik, Freddie Roach, Buboy, wasn't able to take pics or meet Manny since he was constantly getting mobbed on. Elie "Sekbach" reporting was also there. There was a few Filipino congressmen there also that I couldn't snap pictures of. The Texan Hotel was INSANE. Pac's entourage was truly rolling DEEP. Ended up meeting the bus driver also for the Pacman bus and people would constantly come up like Ariza and Koncz and ask what time the bus was leaving. It was a surreal experience.

Barrera also stopped by Pacquiao's pre-fight prayer and wished him well.
[ Edited by phiLthyphiL on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone