• Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by jrg:
Link

Once again you just proved that Lincecum did have the better season.

Just stop it.

Maybe you need to look a little closer.

Lincecum #1

I give up.

I'd give up too if I didn't have stats to back up my idiotic statement. Grats to Wainwright though.

Well, he hasn't won it yet. Who knows maybe Tim will win it. All I have said is my opinion on how I predict it will end. Thank you for not deliberately attacking me and shoving millions of stats down my throat for listing my opinion on the topic like others in this thread. If Lincecum wins, good for him. He had a very good season. I just don't think he will beat out Wainwright or Carpenter. They're the front runners IMO.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Link

Just stop it.

I looked a little closer, and I saw A BUNCH of guys on that list that have no business being in the Cy Young race, so clearly that Cy Young Predictor formula is broken.

Maybe so. And not once have I ever denied that. But thats the system and a lot of guys are gonna be on there that shouldn't be. Ex: Johnathan Broxton in front of Lincecum But thats just the way the system works. Do I think Broxton had a better year then Tim? No. Not at all. I do think Wainwright AND Carpenter had better seasons. I think Wainwright will get it and that is my opinion.

Through 5 pages of this, they are still not getting that.

Can't everybody just agree to disagree and wait for Thursday?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Link

Just stop it.

I looked a little closer, and I saw A BUNCH of guys on that list that have no business being in the Cy Young race, so clearly that Cy Young Predictor formula is broken.

Maybe so. And not once have I ever denied that. But thats the system and a lot of guys are gonna be on there that shouldn't be. Ex: Johnathan Broxton in front of Lincecum But thats just the way the system works. Do I think Broxton had a better year then Tim? No. Not at all. I do think Wainwright AND Carpenter had better seasons. I think Wainwright will get it and that is my opinion.

I've been trying to this entire thread. I've tried going back on topic as well. Any time I post ANYTHING in here I get stats shoved down my throat trying to defend Lincecum.

Yay Greinke! Once again though, I don't think his victory should have been as clear cut as it was.
Link

Just stop it.

I've been trying to this entire thread. I've tried going back on topic as well. Any time I post ANYTHING in here I get stats shoved down my throat trying to defend Lincecum.

Yay Greinke! Once again though, I don't think his victory should have been as clear cut as it was.

Greinke and Lincecum clearly had the best years. You may not want to accept the stats but they dont lie. The CY Young is not the same as MVP. It clearly should go to the pitcher that performed the best. Lincecum and Greinke cannot help the fact that they pitch for crappy teams and dont have great players to support them like Carpenter and Wainwright do.

I DO believe that one of your homers will win the award. It is very rare to give a pitcher back to back Cy Youngs. I have never said that Timmy will win the award and in fact have been saying for months that I didnt think he would. That does not mean he shouldnt. He should. He is clearly the best pitcher in the National League, had the best stats, and would be everyone's choice to be their #1 pick in free agency if he was eligible.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Link

Just stop it.

Greinke and Lincecum clearly had the best years. You may not want to accept the stats but they dont lie. The CY Young is not the same as MVP. It clearly should go to the pitcher that performed the best. Lincecum and Greinke cannot help the fact that they pitch for crappy teams and dont have great players to support them like Carpenter and Wainwright do.

I DO believe that one of your homers will win the award. It is very rare to give a pitcher back to back Cy Youngs. I have never said that Timmy will win the award and in fact have been saying for months that I didnt think he would. That does not mean he shouldnt. He should. He is clearly the best pitcher in the National League, had the best stats, and would be everyone's choice to be their #1 pick in free agency if he was eligible.

I'm a homer because I think the guy on the team I root for is gonna win..but when it comes to you, you back it with Lincecum is the best pitcher in the NL. I've NEVER stated Wainwright is a better pitcher. I think he has had a better year then Lincecum but that means nothing. What if Hunter Pence goes out and hits 75 homeruns and 150 RBIs next year. Is he a better player then Albert Pujols? No way.

I don't care whos the #1 pick in free agency. I don't care about all these stats you're pursuing all over the internet. I don't care if hes the best talent of a pitcher in the NL. I don't care John.

All I've stated is the exact same thing you have. Your opinion. You think Lincecum has had the better season. I think Wainwright has. We both stated our opinions. Now you can go post all the stats and crap ya want, but once again. I don't care.

In my opinion, I think Adam Wanwright will win the 2009 NL Cy Young.
Link

Just stop it.

I'm a homer because I think the guy on the team I root for is gonna win..but when it comes to you, you back it with Lincecum is the best pitcher in the NL. I've NEVER stated Wainwright is a better pitcher. I think he has had a better year then Lincecum but that means nothing. What if Hunter Pence goes out and hits 75 homeruns and 150 RBIs next year. Is he a better player then Albert Pujols? No way.

I don't care whos the #1 pick in free agency. I don't care about all these stats you're pursuing all over the internet. I don't care if hes the best talent of a pitcher in the NL. I don't care John.

All I've stated is the exact same thing you have. Your opinion. You think Lincecum has had the better season. I think Wainwright has. We both stated our opinions. Now you can go post all the stats and crap ya want, but once again. I don't care.

Pujols is on steroids he should not be mentioned in this thread this a steroid free zone
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Link

Just stop it.

Pujols is on steroids he should not be mentioned in this thread this a steroid free zone

Jeez.
Link

Just stop it.

You done did it now Val
Link

Just stop it.

James.. other than wins which you have to agree is something that the pitcher cannot control, what REALLY makes you believe that Wainwright had the better year??? It cant be quality starts because Timmy had more. It cant be era, strikouts, whip. What is it? Oh ya ... I know. Its that he has Cardinals written on his jersey.

Glad you dont care about stats. LOL. I am sure you would use them however for Pujols to back up the MVP award.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Link

Just stop it.

You done did it now Val

Has so much to do w/ the topic.
Link

Just stop it.

James.. other than wins which you have to agree is something that the pitcher cannot control, what REALLY makes you believe that Wainwright had the better year??? It cant be quality starts because Timmy had more. It cant be era, strikouts, whip. What is it? Oh ya ... I know. Its that he has Cardinals written on his jersey.

Glad you dont care about stats. LOL. I am sure you would use them however for Pujols to back up the MVP award.

This. I think Timmy and Carpenter are by far the most deserving of the award and if it doesn't go to either one of them it's a travesty. Wainright pitched well, but did not have a better year statistically than either one of them other than wins. Wins is definitely NOT the most important stat in the Cy voting, that much should be obvious by now.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Link

Just stop it.

What bothers me the most about this whole award (they said the same thing for Greinke) is the fact that other players get sympathy because of the teams they play for. Ooh Greinke/Lincecum play for lower talent teams. Boo-freaking-hoo. They didn't get the job done and thats what matters IMO. While Lincecum is beating Wainwright in certain stats, once again I don't care. Cy Young is NOT the same as posted here before. MVP relies more on stats compared to Cy Young. If Linceum's key stats (that you listed) were leaps and bounds above Wainwrights I'd say you have a case. But, we all know that they aren't and during all the Cardinals cold streaks this season it was Wainwright locking down to keep this team in games and in the race of the NL. We can sit here and argue all day long John..and go back and forth about why this guy should win and why he shouldn't but like I said..going on how the system works and how they determine the "better season"..I think Wainwright will come away w/ the trophy.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Link

Just stop it.

What bothers me the most about this whole award (they said the same thing for Greinke) is the fact that other players get sympathy because of the teams they play for. Ooh Greinke/Lincecum play for lower talent teams. Boo-freaking-hoo. They didn't get the job done and thats what matters IMO. While Lincecum is beating Wainwright in certain stats, once again I don't care. Cy Young is NOT the same as posted here before. MVP relies more on stats compared to Cy Young. If Linceum's key stats (that you listed) were leaps and bounds above Wainwrights I'd say you have a case. But, we all know that they aren't and during all the Cardinals cold streaks this season it was Wainwright locking down to keep this team in games and in the race of the NL. We can sit here and argue all day long John..and go back and forth about why this guy should win and why he shouldn't but like I said..going on how the system works and how they determine the "better season"..I think Wainwright will come away w/ the trophy.

Just as Wainwright was helping the Cards when they had cold streaks Lincecum was doing the exact same thing for the Giants. I can't remember the exact numbers, but Lincecums record after a Giants loss the previous game is incredible.

I think the whole sympathy for playing on a crappy team factors in when you are looking at and comparing wins. I mean with the Giants offense lincecum can go out, pitch 8 innings, give up maybe 2 earned runs and still have a very good chance at a no decision or loss.

Any of these guys could win the award and it wouldn't shock me if Lincecum didn't win it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Link

Just stop it.

Just as Wainwright was helping the Cards when they had cold streaks Lincecum was doing the exact same thing for the Giants. I can't remember the exact numbers, but Lincecums record after a Giants loss the previous game is incredible.

I think the whole sympathy for playing on a crappy team factors in when you are looking at and comparing wins. I mean with the Giants offense lincecum can go out, pitch 8 innings, give up maybe 2 earned runs and still have a very good chance at a no decision or loss.

Any of these guys could win the award and it wouldn't shock me if Lincecum didn't win it.

Me either. Never have I denied that Lincecum is worthy. Wainwright/Carpenter/Lincecum. Any of those 3 have legit arguments on why they should win. Out of the 3, I believe Wainwright will. Thats it.
Share 49ersWebzone