LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 332 users in the forums

Official NHL 09-10 Season

there will be a new cup champion next season
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
there will be a new cup champion next season

Call it a rumor only, but supposedly there could be a Versteeg to Vancouver for the 25th pick in Friday's Round 1... I didn't think Chicago needed to clear THAT much cap space this off-season!
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Call it a rumor only, but supposedly there could be a Versteeg to Vancouver for the 25th pick in Friday's Round 1... I didn't think Chicago needed to clear THAT much cap space this off-season!

and the FIRE(no pun intended....fcuk it pun intended) SALE is off to a fast start Chicago for both the Blackhawks and the Bulls. since this is a NHL thread I'm pissed beyond explaination. they could have gotten rid of everyone available other than Big Buff. how many picks do we need. does the front office not realize that these picks would require to get paid. IDIOTS. you'll see me sitting next to J. Roenick cry as well.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

and the FIRE(no pun intended....fcuk it pun intended) SALE is off to a fast start Chicago for both the Blackhawks and the Bulls. since this is a NHL thread I'm pissed beyond explaination. they could have gotten rid of everyone available other than Big Buff. how many picks do we need. does the front office not realize that these picks would require to get paid. IDIOTS. you'll see me sitting next to J. Roenick cry as well.

Yeah, Versteeg/Sopel/Eager/and that other guy they traded away today (I forget his name, like a 4th liner) are no big deal at all.

Buff is one hell of a power forward though and was key for a deep playoff runs.
I think the Hawks were smart.. Got good value for Buff. After the playoffs, his value was at his highest. Grabbing a 1st/2nd pick plus some cheap role players for Buff, Eager and still got them to take Sopel's gross contract is good value and they still get to hold on Sharp.

Yeah, those picks might cost some good $$$ down the road, but you can bury them in the minors until guys like Campbell and Huet are off the books.
Originally posted by Jordache49:
I think the Hawks were smart.. Got good value for Buff. After the playoffs, his value was at his highest. Grabbing a 1st/2nd pick plus some cheap role players for Buff, Eager and still got them to take Sopel's gross contract is good value and they still get to hold on Sharp.

Yeah, those picks might cost some good $$$ down the road, but you can bury them in the minors until guys like Campbell and Huet are off the books.

Only time will tell, but I think for the immediate future, it looks terrible. Just terrible, because they've traded away their hopes for another cup for at least this year.

You certainly make a whole of sense Jordache but we all know that the chances of us blackhawks trying to repeat has taken a significant blow. Big Buff was a man amongst boys in the crease erea. also, being able to have two good lines took a major hit.

You certainly make a whole of sense Jordache but we all know that the chances of us blackhawks trying to repeat has taken a significant blow. Big Buff was a man amongst boys in the crease erea. also, being able to have two good lines took a major hit.

I'd be willing to say, you swap Buff with say.. a Seto or even Heatley in that series in the WCF's.. and the Sharks win. Can't stand DB, but the guy is someone you'd love to have on your team.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You certainly make a whole of sense Jordache but we all know that the chances of us blackhawks trying to repeat has taken a significant blow. Big Buff was a man amongst boys in the crease area. also, being able to have two good lines took a major hit.

I'd be willing to say, you swap Buff with say.. a Seto or even Heatley in that series in the WCF's.. and the Sharks win. Can't stand DB, but the guy is someone you'd love to have on your team.

all i can and would say is that it wouldn't have been a sweep. along with some on the zone; my brother even said that D.Buff was the reason for the blackhawks winning it all.

Where does Nabokov land? My ranking of likely spots:

1) Washington: Cap Room ($16million). Do they really trust Varlamov to get them to the Cup? They still need to put some money down for their 2nd pair defenceman and Fleischman/Ferr are RFA that need a new deal.

2) Philly: Cap Room ($10million). They are oviously are looking for that missing D-man they want (Hamhuis?). You can write off $4-5 million off their cap to sign 2 defenceman. But if Nabokov wants to prove he can win a Cup, this is the team he will want to sign with and take a paycut. They will need to sign Carter/Gagne/Giroux next year.

3) Tampa Bay: Cap Room ($19million). Tampa Bay's roster is pretty empty with a lot of spots to fill, so Yzerman can go a variety of different directions. They have the money to give Nabokov, and can still have the cash left over to sign a few veterans to shore up their depth and playoffs would be within reach.

4) Ottawa: Cap Room ($9million). LeClaire is on the last year of his contract and Elliot becomes a RFA next year. Alfreddson and Kovalev are on their last wheels and Spezza wants out. Add to that they lost Cullen and Volchenkov. They got problems, and look more like they are going toward rebuilding rather then prepping for another playoff run. But they are the only other team that made playoffs and might be interested in Nabokov to put together another run while Alfreddson is still around.

5) KHL - I gotta think Nabokov still wants to play in the NHL and get a crack at the Cup. But this is a very likely place he can land, they will probably offer him quite a bit of money. But if Nabokov isn't offered by convincing playoff contender, he is gone to the KHL.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jun 24, 2010 at 14:33:52 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You certainly make a whole of sense Jordache but we all know that the chances of us blackhawks trying to repeat has taken a significant blow. Big Buff was a man amongst boys in the crease area. also, being able to have two good lines took a major hit.

all i can and would say is that it wouldn't have been a sweep. along with some on the zone; my brother even said that D.Buff was the reason for the blackhawks winning it all.

Someone good had to go. Couldnt afford to keep everyone and they managed to grab 2 high picks without having to deal any core players (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook) and still managed to unload Sopel, who's contract would have been difficult to unload on any team.

Yeah, Buff for sure was a presence in the playoffs but you can find a big body who can crash the net for a lot cheaper than what Buff would demand after his playoff run. A guy like Holmstrom for a $1mil + would be better suited for the Hawks at this point IMO.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Where does Nabokov land? My ranking of likely spots:

1) Washington: Cap Room ($16million). Do they really trust Varlamov to get them to the Cup? They still need to put some money down for their 2nd pair defenceman and Fleischman/Ferr are RFA that need a new deal.

2) Philly: Cap Room ($10million). They are oviously are looking for that missing D-man they want (Hamhuis?). You can write off $4-5 million off their cap to sign 2 defenceman. But if Nabokov wants to prove he can win a Cup, this is the team he will want to sign with and take a paycut. They will need to sign Carter/Gagne/Giroux next year.

3) Tampa Bay: Cap Room ($19million). Tampa Bay's roster is pretty empty with a lot of spots to fill, so Yzerman can go a variety of different directions. They have the money to give Nabokov, and can still have the cash left over to sign a few veterans to shore up their depth and playoffs would be within reach.

4) Ottawa: Cap Room ($9million). LeClaire is on the last year of his contract and Elliot becomes a RFA next year. Alfreddson and Kovalev are on their last wheels and Spezza wants out. Add to that they lost Cullen and Volchenkov. They got problems, and look more like they are going toward rebuilding rather then prepping for another playoff run. But they are the only other team that made playoffs and might be interested in Nabokov to put together another run while Alfreddson is still around.

5) KHL - I gotta think Nabokov still wants to play in the NHL and get a crack at the Cup. But this is a very likely place he can land, they will probably offer him quite a bit of money. But if Nabokov isn't offered by convincing playoff contender, he is gone to the KHL.

It's gotta be the top two, or a team that has a legitimate playoff shot. I don't think Nabby will want to go somewhere where the team isn't a contender.
Turco turned down an offer from Philly for 3 yrs, $6 million total.

Its kind of borderline tampering that Philly even had talks with Turco since technically he is under contract still....
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Turco turned down an offer from Philly for 3 yrs, $6 million total.

Its kind of borderline tampering that Philly even had talks with Turco since technically he is under contract still....

Naw, from what I read philly got permission from the club

idk how that works
Share 49ersWebzone