LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 111 users in the forums

Official NHL 09-10 Season

Article on goalies who likely will move this off-season. Nabokov's on there obviously..

And in the poll for "best FA goalie" -- Nabby is hands down running away with the lead on that one, unsurprisingly.

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532161

Quote:
Evgeni Nabokov -- If San Jose GM Doug Wilson wants him back, Nabokov is listening, but he'll also open to other offers if he's on the market at noon ET July 1. He's been one of the best regular season goalies in the NHL for several years, but hasn't translated enough of that success into the postseason. The Sharks do not have a suitable replacement right now and reportedly want him back.
chris mason posted similar stats to nabby these past couple years, but less W's

thats probably cause of the teams he played on
Originally posted by ads_2006:
chris mason posted similar stats to nabby these past couple years, but less W's

thats probably cause of the teams he played on

The one thing I'm worried about is having that game-changing/saving save lost. Nabby was one of the best making key pressure saves. Individual moments where he was dominant. Shootouts, breakaway saves, etc. -- His issue wasn't really "big moment" goaltending, it was "big game" (a la, postseason) goaltending, performing over the course of 3+ periods.

But to be fair, he had some outstanding post-season games, he just didn't have enough games where he was good enough for us to win. The rough games had a lot to do with awful puck management by other players, so I don't know. You can argue that no goaltender would've fared better. It's a tough thing to weigh.

Can we get that with someone else? If we can find someone who'll get us the cup in the playoffs, that's the big thing. Nabby has been the guy to push us to home advantage every year, but in the end, you need a guy who has that extra focus when it's really needed. *shrug*
all i know is i'll be a pissed off fan if we keep nabokov over marleau. dont get me wrong nabby has been my favorite shark since i started getting into hockey but im realizing the fact hes not the goalie to get us to the stanley cup finals. i get tired of us having an advatage only to get it all sucked out due to one of those monentum crowd killing weak goals.

i want a strong defense to surround whoever our next goalie is gonna be
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
all i know is i'll be a pissed off fan if we keep nabokov over marleau. dont get me wrong nabby has been my favorite shark since i started getting into hockey but im realizing the fact hes not the goalie to get us to the stanley cup finals. i get tired of us having an advatage only to get it all sucked out due to one of those monentum crowd killing weak goals.

Agreed.

If we HAVE to choose, then Marleau must stay. He's younger and got far more years left in him. With our rising youngsters in Couture and Demers, even McGinn, we've got some guys to make ourselves dangerous even solely offensively to get in the playoffs.

Do you think we'll bring back Manny or Nichol or Ortmeyer? Staubitz has poor discipline and I'm not sure if he'll ever play for us in the playoffs if he doesn't have to. Maybe another year.

I won't be shocked if we decide to go with more youth on our defense and hope they shine, probably shoving Petrecki in there... We might see how Justin Braun does in the minors. I can see our lines being something like:

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell
F.McLaren or FA-Nichol/Malhotra-Ferriero

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Huskins or FA-Petrecki

I don't think Joslin is ever going to amount to anything.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agreed.

If we HAVE to choose, then Marleau must stay. He's younger and got far more years left in him. With our rising youngsters in Couture and Demers, even McGinn, we've got some guys to make ourselves dangerous even solely offensively to get in the playoffs.

Do you think we'll bring back Manny or Nichol or Ortmeyer? Staubitz has poor discipline and I'm not sure if he'll ever play for us in the playoffs if he doesn't have to. Maybe another year.

I won't be shocked if we decide to go with more youth on our defense and hope they shine, probably shoving Petrecki in there... We might see how Justin Braun does in the minors. I can see our lines being something like:

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Huskins or FA-Petrecki

i for sure want malhotra and nichol back, theyre perfect for checking roles as well as manny's faceoff skill and they werent reasons we got beat by chicago. our offense is legit enough to win but its gonna take the players to show up. with the way petrecki played in worcester this yr hes definitely not ready. we need to spend some of the money nabokov and blake freed up for one of the top fa dmen.

Agreed.

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Huskins or FA-Petrecki

i for sure want malhotra and nichol back, theyre perfect for checking roles as well as manny's faceoff skill and they werent reasons we got beat by chicago. our offense is legit enough to win but its gonna take the players to show up. with the way petrecki played in worcester this yr hes definitely not ready. we need to spend some of the money nabokov and blake freed up for one of the top fa dmen.

This is probably the best way to do it. Get a new goalie, someone good with a lot of promise, and surround them with an awesome defense. With luck, they pull a "Niemi" and stand on their head all playoffs and with the great D, we ride them to a Stanley Cup. Demers was awesome for his rookie year, and he'll only get better. Hopefully Petrecki gets over the adjustment hump and is ready to go in 2011.

Looks like Staubitz is gone. And yeah I want Manny and Nichol back too.

I think Huskins is still under contract with us, but as far as FA defensemen, I want either Anton Volchenkov (Ottawa), Martin from New Jersey, or Tallinder from Buffalo. Tallinder might go great with Vlasic. He paired super well with the young Tyler Myers, who got nominated for the Calder Trophy. A last option might even be Michalek from Phoenix.

Here's a list of 2010 UFA's available -- looks accurate: http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/#Defense

Agreed.

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Huskins or FA-Petrecki

This is probably the best way to do it. Get a new goalie, someone good with a lot of promise, and surround them with an awesome defense. With luck, they pull a "Niemi" and stand on their head all playoffs and with the great D, we ride them to a Stanley Cup. Demers was awesome for his rookie year, and he'll only get better. Hopefully Petrecki gets over the adjustment hump and is ready to go in 2011.

I think Huskins is still under contract with us, but as far as FA defensemen, I want either Anton Volchenkov (Ottawa), Martin from New Jersey, or Tallinder from Buffalo. Tallinder might go great with Vlasic. He paired super well with the young Tyler Myers, who got nominated for the Calder Trophy. A last option might even be Michalek from Phoenix.

Here's a list of 2010 UFA's available -- looks accurate: http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/#Defense

i wouldnt mind volchenkov hes a true shut down dman and one if not the best shot blocker, but hes sooooooo 1 dimensional he doesnt put many pts on the board and for what hes looking i dont expect wilson to go after him. all those other dmen would be good choices, dw better do after d

Agreed.

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Huskins or FA-Petrecki

i wouldnt mind volchenkov hes a true shut down dman and one if not the best shot blocker, but hes sooooooo 1 dimensional he doesnt put many pts on the board and for what hes looking i dont expect wilson to go after him. all those other dmen would be good choices, dw better do after d

Yeah, Tallinder and Michalek on the other hand would be more affordable options.
Nabby gettin a boot in his ass, out the door

Good move IMO.. Keeps $ to sign Marleau. Chris Mason is a guy I would look at if I was Wilson. Carried the Blues to playoffs 2yrs ago and is a good locker room guy. Wont cost as much either

Originally posted by Jordache49:

Good move IMO.. Keeps $ to sign Marleau. Chris Mason is a guy I would look at if I was Wilson. Carried the Blues to playoffs 2yrs ago and is a good locker room guy. Wont cost as much either

I'd take Mason and groom Stalock. Stalock almost matched Ryan Millers AHL win record. And I believe he did set the rookie wins record.

I'd take Mason and groom Stalock. Stalock almost matched Ryan Millers AHL win record. And I believe he did set the rookie wins record.

Mason would be a good fill in. He played real well for us down the stretch the last 2yrs.. Wouldnt be expensive and should put up better #'s with a team like SJ
FWIW, Mason previously turned down a 3 year $11.25 million offer by the Blues.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

No wonder we dealt for Halak.. I would imagine that's still cheaper than what Nabby would cost
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

No wonder we dealt for Halak.. I would imagine that's still cheaper than what Nabby would cost

Yeah, except Nabokov >>>>>>> Mason.

I think its a bad move by SJ, but thats just my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone