LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 250 users in the forums

Official NHL 09-10 Season

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Turco turned down an offer from Philly for 3 yrs, $6 million total.

Its kind of borderline tampering that Philly even had talks with Turco since technically he is under contract still....

No Turco for Philly, eh? Is that why they're going after Nabby? I hear Philly may go after Tim Thomas too. It looks like the Sharks are probably going to get jack squat for Nabby's rights in the end. People can say picks -- especially late rounders -- don't mean much, but I vehemently disagree. Pavs was taken in the 7th. Demers I believe went in the 6th. Boyle went undrafted and Murray (8th) and Nichol (11th round) went late in their drafts as well. These are good players all had in the late rounds.

I wish Wilson hadn't thrown away his leverage for Nabby's rights.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 28, 2010 at 17:46:18 ]
Coyotes trade F Daniel Winnick to the Avs for a 2012 fourth rounder: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533112 and re-sign Wolski.

Two days until FA. Please get here already, July 1.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Coyotes trade F Daniel Winnick to the Avs for a 2012 fourth rounder: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533112 and re-sign Wolski.

can not wait. for either this and or the nba free agency. how do you think your beloved sharks have done so far? according to ESPN grading the Blackhawks did pretty good in the draft but for some reason I still do not see it. maybe beause I'm still stinging from the Big Buff trade.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

can not wait. for either this and or the nba free agency. how do you think your beloved sharks have done so far? according to ESPN grading the Blackhawks did pretty good in the draft but for some reason I still do not see it. maybe beause I'm still stinging from the Big Buff trade.

The draft means virtually nothing to this years success for teams, unless you've got like a top 15 guy or so who actually plays because they're that good. Chicago may have drafted well, but that's not going to help them for several years.

I'm just looking forward with great anticipation for the rookies the Sharks will have this year. My hope is someone will shine, like Couture did for us.

I think the Sharks have done very well getting the guys back that we need, with Pavs and Marleau and getting that offer out to Seto (long term deal would be nice though). We just need some good energy guys for the 4th line shuffle. Maybe even someone who can go on the 3rd and mentor our young stars (Modano maybe?)

I give us a B+ so far.

I'll give us an A if we get Cheechoo back, and sign a good defenseman to replace Blake. We have yet to fix that gaping hole on Defense, so no A grade until we do so.

The draft means virtually nothing to this years success for teams, unless you've got like a top 15 guy or so who actually plays because they're that good. Chicago may have drafted well, but that's not going to help them for several years.

I'm just looking forward with great anticipation for the rookies the Sharks will have this year. My hope is someone will shine, like Couture did for us.

I think the Sharks have done very well getting the guys back that we need, with Pavs and Marleau and getting that offer out to Seto (long term deal would be nice though). We just need some good energy guys for the 4th line shuffle. Maybe even someone who can go on the 3rd and mentor our young stars (Modano maybe?)

I give us a B+ so far.

I'll give us an A if we get Cheechoo back, and sign a good defenseman to replace Blake. We have yet to fix that gaping hole on Defense, so no A grade until we do so.

according to an article on PFT ProHockeyTalk cheechoo is being wavied by ottowa.

I give us a B+ so far.

according to an article on PFT ProHockeyTalk cheechoo is being wavied by ottowa.

We Cheechoo fans are way ahead of you, my friend. That's why I'm hopeful, but obviously also know that the better option may be to try and develop our younger players.
We Cheechoo fans are way ahead of you, my friend. That's why I'm hopeful, but obviously also know that the better option may be to try and develop our younger players.

If he went to Chicago, I would .

i'm still crying for losing big buff.

I probably would be too, if I were you. Chicago can't expect to go to the Cup again without him. They pretty much guaranteed Atlanta's entrance to the playoffs in the East next year though. Thrashers aren't a terrible team, they just lack some star power. They've got it now.

I probably would be too, if I were you. Chicago can't expect to go to the Cup again without him. They pretty much guaranteed Atlanta's entrance to the playoffs in the East next year though. Thrashers aren't a terrible team, they just lack some star power. They've got it now.

I would still bet on Atlanta missing playoffs. Sure they picked up Buff, but they lost Kovalchuk (who still finished 3rd on their team in scoring) and are losing Afinogenov (their 2nd leading scorer). They are also losing Kubina (their best D).

They are also losing Colby Armstrong, who was a productive 3rd liner (by their standards). Combined, the players the lost made up 1/3 of all of Atlanta's goals scored this year. (proportionally, thats equal to the Sharks losing Marleau AND Heatley).

So their first line will be Antropov - Peverley - Buff with absolutely nothing behind them. And they have 3 decent D in Enstrom, Hainsey, Bogosian. But yeah, they will be worse then last year, sorry but Afinogenov + Kubina + Kovalchuk = more wins then Buff.

Remember, they started the year 15-7-3 (with Kovalchuk).

Edit:

Out in the east, teams that might make up playoffs that didn't last year would be: NYR, NYI, and TB. Islanders I got my eye on, assuming they don't do yet another stupid ass FA move. I think if DiPietro can have a healthy year, they can challenge for the 8th. They had a run where they went 3-13, if they can avoid that kind of streak they should make it.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jun 29, 2010 at 02:47:04 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I would still bet on Atlanta missing playoffs. Sure they picked up Buff, but they lost Kovalchuk (who still finished 3rd on their team in scoring) and are losing Afinogenov (their 2nd leading scorer). They are also losing Kubina (their best D).

They are also losing Colby Armstrong, who was a productive 3rd liner (by their standards). Combined, the players the lost made up 1/3 of all of Atlanta's goals scored this year. (proportionally, thats equal to the Sharks losing Marleau AND Heatley).

So their first line will be Antropov - Peverley - Buff with absolutely nothing behind them. And they have 3 decent D in Enstrom, Hainsey, Bogosian. But yeah, they will be worse then last year, sorry but Afinogenov + Kubina + Kovalchuk = more wins then Buff.

Remember, they started the year 15-7-3 (with Kovalchuk).

Edit:

Out in the east, teams that might make up playoffs that didn't last year would be: NYR, NYI, and TB. Islanders I got my eye on, assuming they don't do yet another stupid ass FA move. I think if DiPietro can have a healthy year, they can challenge for the 8th. They had a run where they went 3-13, if they can avoid that kind of streak they should make it.

All good points. I didn't realize they were losing Maxi-A and Kubina. Those are hefty blows so you could be right. I suppose there still may be that outside chance they squeak in, but good looking out SD. I was unaware of those other facts,
^^^lol, it was late at night and I coudn't sleep. So I looked up hockey stats!
Senators buy out Cheechoo: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533185
dan ellis traded to the Habs

wtf?

Share 49ersWebzone