LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 487 users in the forums

Official NHL 09-10 Season

Originally posted by ads_2006:
dan ellis traded to the Habs

wtf?

To backup Price? Insurance? Who knows..
Good Article on How You Don't Need a High-Priced Goalie to win a Cup: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533204

Quote:
(Part of the article) .... While that little statement may not bode well for potential unrestricted free agents such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov -- both are hoping for substantial paydays come Thursday despite a saturated goalie market -- there is enough proof now that teams don't need to invest millions off their cap figure in goal to win the Stanley Cup.

Antti Niemi and Michael Leighton were bargain busters playing in the Final earlier this month. Detroit won twice with Chris Osgood as the No. 1, and now Jimmy Howard, who makes less than a million, is the No. 1. Carolina won in 2006 with rookie Cam Ward and Ottawa went to the Final with a young and still somewhat tame and cheap Ray Emery in 2007.

"I think pro sports leagues to a degree are copycats. If somebody is doing something and has success, somebody else tries it," Holland told NHL.com. "If you can have the best goalie in the League and pay him six million that would be the best way to go, but there is only one best goalie."

That goalie is, of course, up for debate, but names such as Roberto Luongo, Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist and Martin Brodeur are always in the discussion.

Well, Luongo will reportedly make $10 million in 2010-11, but he's never been out of the second round. Neither has Lundqvist, who will reportedly make $7.75 million this coming season. Miller is working on a five-year deal worth a reported $31.5 million, but he has won one playoff round since 2007. Brodeur ($5.2 million per) won three Cups in the pre-cap era, but hasn't been out of the first round since 2007 or the second round since 2003.

I see the argument but at the same time can offer a counter. While, yes -- in the short term you can get away with having a cheaper goalie -- in the end if they do well, you're going to wind up paying them a hefty contract anyway. Or even worse, they may leave for more money elsewhere, or demand a trade to somewhere else.

I do agree overall though with the point that we don't need a high-priced goalie to get the Cup, and think most teams would be best suited to that strategy of not overpaying for one.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
dan ellis traded to the Habs

wtf?

To backup Price? Insurance? Who knows..

I think it may have been more about getting rid of Kostitsyn and getting something in return. Kostitsyn is a locker room cancer but a talented player, I think Montreal just wanted him gone.
Good Article on How You Don't Need a High-Priced Goalie to win a Cup: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533204

Quote:
(Part of the article) .... While that little statement may not bode well for potential unrestricted free agents such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov -- both are hoping for substantial paydays come Thursday despite a saturated goalie market -- there is enough proof now that teams don't need to invest millions off their cap figure in goal to win the Stanley Cup.

Antti Niemi and Michael Leighton were bargain busters playing in the Final earlier this month. Detroit won twice with Chris Osgood as the No. 1, and now Jimmy Howard, who makes less than a million, is the No. 1. Carolina won in 2006 with rookie Cam Ward and Ottawa went to the Final with a young and still somewhat tame and cheap Ray Emery in 2007.

"I think pro sports leagues to a degree are copycats. If somebody is doing something and has success, somebody else tries it," Holland told NHL.com. "If you can have the best goalie in the League and pay him six million that would be the best way to go, but there is only one best goalie."

That goalie is, of course, up for debate, but names such as Roberto Luongo, Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist and Martin Brodeur are always in the discussion.

Well, Luongo will reportedly make $10 million in 2010-11, but he's never been out of the second round. Neither has Lundqvist, who will reportedly make $7.75 million this coming season. Miller is working on a five-year deal worth a reported $31.5 million, but he has won one playoff round since 2007. Brodeur ($5.2 million per) won three Cups in the pre-cap era, but hasn't been out of the first round since 2007 or the second round since 2003.

I see the argument but at the same time can offer a counter. While, yes -- in the short term you can get away with having a cheaper goalie -- in the end if they do well, you're going to wind up paying them a hefty contract anyway. Or even worse, they may leave for more money elsewhere, or demand a trade to somewhere else.

I do agree overall though with the point that we don't need a high-priced goalie to get the Cup, and think most teams would be best suited to that strategy of not overpaying for one.

my thoughts on this:
1) There are only ever 3-4 goalies in the league at one time that can truly be "Franchise" goalies and top notch in playoffs every year. In the decade before salary cap it was Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek. Yet teams keep buying into the illusion that their guy who had 2-3 great seasons can be one of those elites.

2) Its easy in the NHL to have a good 1 year or 2 or 3. But contracts lock up goalies for longer then they may be good for. All the Salary Cap Era Cup winners rode a goalie while he was having one of these "hot" years.

3) Since winning a cup, the goalies have decreased in ability. Cam Ward really has had one decent year (last year), but nothing like he was in playoffs. Giguere got traded away. Osgood, well do I need to explain? And Fleury had ONE shut out all last season with a save pct at .905....

4) It seems to be either a young goalie or a goalie people think is over-the-hill make it to the Cup. Ward (22) v. Roloson (36), Giguere (30*) v. Emery (24), Osgood v. Fleury x2, Niemi v. Leighton. Only Giguere filled the role of the typical franchise goalie in the "prime" of his career (only to be traded away later).

5) I think in the new era having a deep farm system of goalies is key. Develop goalies to have them play 5-6 years in the NHL, and if they drop off have the depth to insert a youngster. But definitely cannot be attached to goalies and big money goalies in the new era.

6) Obviously Fleury and Ward can bounce back and make deep playoff runs again, but it won't be because of either of them but because of the talent in front of them. So yeah, avoid big contracts with goalies and don't buy into the illusion they are one of the "greats".

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jun 29, 2010 at 19:07:58 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Quote:

my thoughts on this:
1) There are only ever 3-4 goalies in the league at one time that can truly be "Franchise" goalies and top notch in playoffs every year. In the decade before salary cap it was Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek. Yet teams keep buying into the illusion that their guy who had 2-3 great seasons can be one of those elites.

2) Its easy in the NHL to have a good 1 year or 2 or 3. But contracts lock up goalies for longer then they may be good for. All the Salary Cap Era Cup winners rode a goalie while he was having one of these "hot" years.

3) Since winning a cup, the goalies have decreased in ability. Cam Ward really has had one decent year (last year), but nothing like he was in playoffs. Giguere got traded away. Osgood, well do I need to explain? And Fleury had ONE shut out all last season with a save pct at .905....

4) It seems to be either a young goalie or a goalie people think is over-the-hill make it to the Cup. Ward (22) v. Roloson (36), Giguere (30*) v. Emery (24), Osgood v. Fleury x2, Niemi v. Leighton. Only Giguere filled the role of the typical franchise goalie in the "prime" of his career (only to be traded away later).

5) I think in the new era having a deep farm system of goalies is key. Develop goalies to have them play 5-6 years in the NHL, and if they drop off have the depth to insert a youngster. But definitely cannot be attached to goalies and big money goalies in the new era.

6) Obviously Fleury and Ward can bounce back and make deep playoff runs again, but it won't be because of either of them but because of the talent in front of them. So yeah, avoid big contracts with goalies and don't buy into the illusion they are one of the "greats".

This is something that I think the Sharks have with Greiss, Stalock, and Sexsmith. What they seriously lack is the guys to play in front of them.

After Boyle, Blake, and Vlasic the dropoff in ABILITY last year was a fair amount. Murray and Demers aren't bad though. I love Dougie, he's a good D-man, but just doesn't have tremendous speed, but I think he's still a top 4 guy. If he were a 2nd or 3rd pair Dman, that'd mean we have a very, very good defense.

From the looks of it, the Sharks are not going to go after anyone. So we better hope Demers and Wallin get exponentially better after a year with the Sharks, or our goaltenders will be doomed.
Rod Brind'Amour retires: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533287

Think people saw it coming. Being around -29 for two straight seasons at that age, it's time to go. He hasn't been the same since 2007-08.

Also...

Predators trade Goalie Dan Ellis and D Boyd for Habs' Sergei Kostitsyn: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533199

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:52:46 ]

Quote:

Cheap maybe but he still has to be a top notch goalie.The flyers will never leaarn this though sas for they resigned thta bum leighton for to years.They have not had a goalie since pelle lindbergh and for this reason they will never win the cup.Long live the Pelle curse.Stupid asses.

[ Edited by diehardnyninerfan on Jun 30, 2010 at 15:42:27 ]
leighton signed by flyers

two years for 3.1 million total

cheap

cheap

That's a good deal for the Flyers. It won't impact their salary cap at all.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

cheap

That's a good deal for the Flyers. It won't impact their salary cap at all.

Yup. I imagine we stick with Greiss and Stalock and the only goalie we sign is some rookie to backup Sexsmith in Worcester, if that.

god damn fcuk Chicago Blackhawks front office. who's running the show John Paxon? FIRE SALE continues....as Kris Versteeg gets traded to Toronto Maple Leafs. I'm disgusted.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
god damn fcuk Chicago Blackhawks front office. who's running the show John Paxon? FIRE SALE continues....as Kris Versteeg gets traded to Toronto Maple Leafs. I'm disgusted.

Your team is being handed out to the entire league. Buff's gone. Versteeg, Sopel (no loss there though), Fraser, Eager all gone.

What's next? The team disbands? Okay, I'm kidding. But at least you have Kane, Toews, Sharp and Niemi left. Plus most of your D -- Keith, Seabrook, etc.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 1, 2010 at 00:00:29 ]

Your team is being handed out to the entire league. Hossa's a FA, Buff's gone. Versteeg, Sopel (no loss there though), Fraser, Eager all gone.

What's next? The team disbands? Okay, I'm kidding. But at least you have Kane, Toews, Sharp and Niemi left. Plus most of your D -- Keith, Seabrook, etc.

do not keed...cause i swear it's about to happen. you know someone your beloved sharks want off of our squad...FIRE SALE...at bargain price. my bro wanted big buff but it's too late

Your team is being handed out to the entire league. Hossa's a FA, Buff's gone. Versteeg, Sopel (no loss there though), Fraser, Eager all gone.

do not keed...cause i swear it's about to happen. you know someone your beloved sharks want off of our squad...FIRE SALE...at bargain price. my bro wanted big buff but it's too late

The problem in Chicago now is.. you're going to have a truckload of new players that have to learn how to play together. The perfect equation for hindering success. A horrible situation to expect success from.

The hawks have kept their dmen in tact and their top scoring threats on offense pretty much in place as well. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, ladd, etc.

The guys you have moved can be replaced faster than those mentioned above. The fire sale was coming, but credit the hawks for moving players they could afford to lose and not making a f**ked decision my friend

So

Negro please,

Calm Down
Share 49ersWebzone