LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200903033964081&c_id=oak

Lot of Beane ass kissing here..
Slusser reporting A's shutting down Devine due to elbow soreness?

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Doesn't sound too serious with Devine, he said he was pitching with some poor mechanics although this may jump Ziegler into the closer role to start the season at least with him getting some time with team USA.

A's also signed Sisco today, the guy is huge, believe he's a 6'9" or 6'10" LHRP. Guess the A's won't be bringing in a veteran who is a LHRP and will maybe go into the season with a Outman/Gio along with Blevins two man LHRP pen.
This is what happens when you take on a whole bumch of players with past injury histories, they usually reappear again.
Well that's what Beane has to do in order to sign vets, get players that have some issues.

It worked back in 06 when he took a shot on Thomas and Bradley, Thomas had an MVP caliber season and Bradley had a MONSTER 2nd half.

We'll have to wait and see if it works this season.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Well that's what Beane has to do in order to sign vets, get players that have some issues.

It worked back in 06 when he took a shot on Thomas and Bradley, Thomas had an MVP caliber season and Bradley had a MONSTER 2nd half.

We'll have to wait and see if it works this season.

Yes.. but both those players still had big upside potential. Nomar is pretty much done even if he is healthy. I think the A's have way too many issues to compete against the Angels and will be dunping by mid year.
Upside? Thomas was seen as completely done as he couldn't stay healthy playing in 108 games the previous two seasons and his last season with the ChiSox in 05, he only played in 34 games and missed the entire postseason after he was put on the DL in late July. I don't think there was a huge market for 38 year by the start of the season who was hurt and couldn't even be available for a postseason run the year before.

Bradley, yes he had upside but he too couldn't stay healthy and he was a complete headcase so many probably didn't think he'd stay healthy/stable enough to be a factor and for the first half, it seemed like that was the case, but he exploded in the second half as did the A's offense that season.

These guys who were the main acquisitions before 06 had more issues than the guys the A's are bringing in this offseason.

Anyways, Nomar isn't seen as anything more than a backup. The guys Beane is really keeping his hopes in producing to the stint of what Thomas/Bradley put up in 06 is Holliday-Giambi. Nomar is gonna be most importantly a RH to face LH pitching and he killed LH pitching last season to a tune of a 1.067 OPS. Short sample sizes but he did very well in the NL west too a division that is loaded with very good pitching with 1.153 OPS against ARZ, 1.200 OPS against SF, 1.555 OPS against SD.
At this time looks as Crosby is gaining practice as mutliple defensive positions.

Saw on MLBN that he said he wants to be traded to a team needing a starting SS. At this point, what team needs a starting SS? At this time, if I were in his shoes, I'd wait it out and do my business taking grounders at 2B/3B and even some OF and play on a team that wants to contend this year and has had a history of injuries so he could get a lot of ABs during the season.

At this point, most contending teams have their starting SS and unless he wants to get his 500 ABs on a bad team, then he's more interested at this point in trying to achieve individual goals rather than being part of a team trying to win now and has built up a pretty solid team this offseason.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
losing to the giants NOOO!!!
Originally posted by Finer08:
losing to the giants NOOO!!!

lol we had 2 starters in that game. The rest of our team was playing in the game we are winning.

Santana has some elbow issues for the LAA. Don't root for injuries, well maybe since I've been reading LAA fans making fun of Duke's elbow issue just a few days ago...but this could only help the A's since Santana during his LAA career owns the A's.

Now only if Lackey, another A's killer, starts feeling some pain and then it's all good.

Honestly though for the A's to have a shot for the AL west this season, LAA will have to go thru some set backs like this.
Ellis is still a couple of weeks away...guess the good thing so far is that kid we got from COL Wimbley who can play 2B is doing well albeit in a very small sample size going 6/18 and a couple of SBs, but he's doing much better than the other competition he's facing in ST to maybe challenge for the backup 2B job if there is gonna be one with Pennington who is struggling BAD so far and Patterson who isn't doing much. Wimbley adds that speed element I think a lot of A's fans want to see with this team again.
Chavy is shut down with sore shoulder... wow. Croz is goin to try out 3rd base today.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Chavy is shut downwith sore shoulder... wow. Croz is goin to try out 3rd base today.

I love Chavvy, but damn dude, this is ridiculous. Hopefully, this is a small bump in the road.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Chavy is shut down with sore shoulder... wow. Croz is goin to try out 3rd base today.

Sh*t, Chavy needs an arm transplan or something. What the hell happened to Chavez, why can't surgery heal his arm? If Hanahan has to be our f*cking 3rd baseman I don't know if I'd be able to stomach it.

Is Hanahan even on the team?

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 9, 2009 at 15:48:37 ]
Share 49ersWebzone