There are 174 users in the forums

Does Kyle want a franchise QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Kyle want a franchise QB

Are the 9ers adopting the throw away QB model? Or are they actually in search of a franchise QB?

I believe Kyle thinks he can make any QB look serviceable. That he looks for very specific traits to fit his system.

They shot for the moon with Trey, but after what they accomplished with Purdy, I believe they have gone to the replaceable QB model. Find a low cost, or a rookie QB who can get the ball out quick and accurately. Let the playmakers do the heavy lifting and find a new QB when it's time to pay up.

Unless they find a sure fire Hof level QB they won't commit to any QB long-term.. unless it's Kirk Cousins😁
[ Edited by jays9ers on Apr 18, 2023 at 4:00 PM ]
He's obviously looking for a franchise QB.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Are the 9ers adopting the throw away QB model? Or are they actually in search of a franchise QB?

I believe Kyle thinks he can make any QB look serviceable. That he looks for very specific traits to fit his system.

They shot for the moon with Trey, but after what they accomplished with Purdy, I believe they have gone to the replaceable QB model. Find a low cost, or a rookie QB who can get the ball out quick and accurately. Let the playmakers do the heavy lifting and find a new QB when it's time to pay up.

Unless they find a sure fire Hof level QB they won't commit to any QB long-term.. unless it's Kirk Cousins😁

The replaceable QB model is the pipedream of Marcus Grant, it will never happen in the NFL due to the scarcity of QB's that are good enough.

You've only got 4 years of a rookie contract, if you've got one good enough they will play all the time when healthy, there just isn't time to identify the next guy will be good enough without an injury.

Brock is the perfect storm for this fictional model, and even that took two injuries. If he is Kyle's guy he'll get paid.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 18, 2023 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

The replaceable QB model is the pipedream of Marcus Grant, it will never happen in the NFL due to the scarcity of QB's that are good enough.

You've only got 4 years of a rookie contract, if you've got one good enough they will play all the time when healthy, there just isn't time to identify the next guy will be good enough without an injury.

Brock is the perfect storm for this fictional model, and even that took two injuries. If he is Kyle's guy he'll get paid.

It is an interesting concept if you found a model that didn't rely on QB. You effectively would be operating at $50m additional cap dollars to other clubs.

who is this Grant and his model?
Imma go out in a limb here and say yes a head coach wants a franchise QB.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
It is an interesting concept if you found a model that didn't rely on QB. You effectively would be operating at $50m additional cap dollars to other clubs.

I honestly think we may see that sorta. I can see us being the team that doesn't pay more than 30 per for a QB

I think Kyle might have the ballz to try it. If you keep a stable of young talent learning the system.. You get 3 to 4 years out of him then move on
  • evil
  • Veteran
This thread makes my brain hurt.

I think Kyle might have the ballz to try it. If you keep a stable of young talent learning the system.. You get 3 to 4 years out of him then move on

If we had a Burrow, Mahomes or Allen we would keep that. We just hope Kyles smart enough not to pay a QB like Daniel Jones
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

If we had a Burrow, Mahomes or Allen we would keep that. We just hope Kyles smart enough not to pay a QB like Daniel Jones

The question may be along the line, would you rather have Burrow at $50-60m aav or BP?

I would say Burrow, as we saw with Watson or Wilson, you can flip those guys for a franchise altering pile of 1st rounders, so you can always move on at great profit.

But I do see ppl on hear with the logic of you don't want the high aav QB, as you won't win with that much tied to one guy, relative to your cap. I am not sure what the correct answer is.

He works for NFL.com, does a lot of draft stuff for them.

The theory is that unless you find an absolute stud you trade them or let them walk when it comes to contract time.

In the meantime you draft pretty much one you like every year in whatever round you're comfortable.

It's better than paying a Daniel Jones type $40 mil a year, the problem is that when you let that QB go who got you to the playoffs you'll get sacked if the guy after is worse and you have a losing record.

Also what if the decent QB you let go becomes a stud?

That's kinda my point to. Paying that much for a barely mid level starter is dumb. You just the Mahomes and the Allens. But if you're stuck with Dak P then your franchise is screwed.
Or the QB market needs a reset.

The question may be along the line, would you rather have Burrow at $50-60m aav or BP?

I would say Burrow, as we saw with Watson or Wilson, you can flip those guys for a franchise altering pile of 1st rounders, so you can always move on at great profit.

But I do see ppl on hear with the logic of you don't want the high aav QB, as you won't win with that much tied to one guy, relative to your cap. I am not sure what the correct answer is.

History of Super Bowl winners would suggest what the answer is.

That's kinda my point to. Paying that much for a barely mid level starter is dumb. You just the Mahomes and the Allens. But if you're stuck with Dak P then your franchise is screwed.

I agree with this. Franchise QB gets put on to many QBs when there's usually on average like 4 or 5 playing in the NFL.

Sometimes the big payday is given to a Watson, who struggled last season, and/or a Wilson, who majorly struggled. It's not obvious without hindsight which ones will blow up in your face. Okay the Watson one was pretty obvious, but I didn't think Wilson would struggle as much as he did, he terrorized us for years, seemed legit to me. Sometimes you pay a guy and he no longer has the motivation he had before, there is a human element there also.
Share 49ersWebzone