There are 193 users in the forums

Does Kyle want a franchise QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Kyle want a franchise QB

Nice read fellers.Trey may yet still surprise us all.
I would think so right? All of those future trades to go up for Lance?
He wants a ready made FQB. He even said that before he got hired.

He's clearly not into the whole development thing. He'd take Kirk over guys like Mahomes/Allen/Watson.

Thought he was growing/developing when he took Lance, kyle couldn't even muster up the nuts to develop the kid beyond 100 passing attempts. Yes I know Brock played well…but how long does that last? If Brock doesn't play at that level consistently…they will just toss him to the side all the same.
Kyle better find one and find one soon. 6 seasons in and we still don't have a solid answer at the most important position on the team.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
The whole problem with the franchise QB argument is that you rarely know who will qualify for that tag until they actually prove they can do it. If everybody knew Brady would turn out the way he did he wouldn't have been passed over by every team in the league six times. If everyone knew that Mahomes would be what he was he would have gone first in the draft, not Trubisky. If everyone knew Rodgers would have the career he had the Niners would have picked him first or, failing that, he wouldn't have fallen all the way to 25. The full story hasn't been written on Brock Purdy yet but if everyone knew he would have played the way he did he certainly wouldn't have lasted until the last pick in the draft. Most of this franchise QB talk is all hindsight.

There are a lot of people in here for whom Josh Allen seems to be some kind of QB wet dream and yet for all of the chatter about him he still hasn't taken Buffalo to the Super Bowl yet. I have a very short memory for all of this stuff but hasn't he lost a couple of AFC Championship games so far? Jimmy helped his team get to two NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl and essentially got run out of town for it. Josh Allen hasn't even gotten his team to a Super Bowl and yet he is held up as this model for what a "franchise QB" should be in some people's eyes. And for all of the gaudy plays and stats he's put up Rodgers still has only one Super Bowl win to his name. Does that still make him a franchise QB? "Oh, well, you always have a CHANCE with Rodgers". In the three years that Jimmy was mostly healthy he helped get the team to three NFC Championship games. It seems to me that fits some people's description of what a franchise QB should be. He wasn't able to finish the job last year, but they might not have gotten there at all of he hadn't helped them put that string of wins together in the middle of the season. "Oh, well Brock would have won those games too if had started". Maybe but he wasn't starting was he, so it fell on Jimmy to get the job done and he did.

True franchise QB's are an incredibly rare thing. In the last twenty years or so you can probably come up with only three or four names that everyone could agree on. Maybe only two, Brady and Mahomes, in terms of what they have actually accomplished in regard to winning Championships, and yet a lot of people come in here season after season acting as if a "franchise" QB is some kind of birthright for 49ers fans and that they are entitled to have one, by god. It's pretty tiresome.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's clearly not into the whole development thing. He'd take Kirk over guys like Mahomes/Allen/Watson.

Thought he was growing/developing when he took Lance, kyle couldn't even muster up the nuts to develop the kid beyond 100 passing attempts. Yes I know Brock played well…but how long does that last? If Brock doesn't play at that level consistently…they will just toss him to the side all the same.

Thankfully we won't find out for at least a few years. QB1 Is going to come back strong and continue his excellence!

Love my QB1
This is the very reason that the NFLPA will never allow a true farm system for the NFL like there is in Baseball. If it were possible to see other players committed to your franchise enough I could see this being a possibility, but with the way the NFL is currently structured it's not really feasible.
Yes… lol we looked awesome with hoyer and beathard at the helm
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Why do you ask this and would you ask the same thing about Trey if he had performed as well as Brock?
By actions through 7 years, he wants a franchise DL and franchise running game. Unfortunately it's not 1980 anymore.

Share 49ersWebzone