There are 363 users in the forums

49ers sign DT Javon Hargrave

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
I haven't watched this guy play throughout his nfl career. Has he been consistently really good throughout his career?

He's always been a really good run blocker. It's what he was actually drafted to do. Then he improved every year on his pass rush ability. So for the last 2-3 seasons, he's been hands down the best interior pass rush in the nfl.

phillies run game struggles had more to do with the guys around him than it did Hargreaves.

but yes, he's been a constantly reliable player and healthy.

ah nice throw him at RT
I'd rather have Buck. This was a big get and im happy he's a 49er, but i'd rather have Buck.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I'd rather have Buck. This was a big get and im happy he's a 49er, but i'd rather have Buck.

One was a FA, one was not.

As much as I love Buckner, he was getting pushed around, not big enough for what we do IMO, Hargrave fits perfectly, plus Buck is only 1yr younger than Hargrave.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

As much as I love Buckner, he was getting pushed around, not big enough for what we do IMO, Hargrave fits perfectly, plus Buck is only 1yr younger than Hargrave.

Yeah, I think gravedigger is the ideal blend of size/athleticism/technique for that position. I liked buck a lot and was sad to see him go, but armstead has been very good once he was in his natural position.

armstead missed a few games (can't remember if it was this year or last year) and there was a massive drop off in production along the d line. He's very under appreciated, IMO. He's essential to our defense

Totally disagree
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Totally disagree

Buck is a little better as a pass rusher (debatable) but worse as a run defender (not debatable). Plus, we got the grave digger for less money if you consider the rising cost of contracts over the last 3-4 years
Chiefs OL will still be allowed to hold him too in the Superbowl.

And then Patrick Mahomes will say again, "I had the best OL all year...least sacked QB all year long."

Originally posted by illinois9er:

Totally disagree

Same and I LOVE Buck. Had we been strong up the middle in 2019 they way we were in 2021-2022, Kansas City would've been one-dimensional in that Super Bowl. I really wish we could've moved AA inside immediately after 2019. That would've wiped out the perceived need for drafting Kinlaw.
Originally posted by NCommand:

And then Patrick Mahomes will say again, "I had the best OL all year...least sacked QB all year long."

Probably, but the holds will be even more egregious now. Those guys are good, top-5 O-line, but no way they block that AA and Hargrave all game. Some well timed blitzes should really get to Mahommes. I think the one difference if we were to face them again is that we have an offense that will generate more TDs than FGs and can hit the big play.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Probably, but the holds will be even more egregious now. Those guys are good, top-5 O-line, but no way they block that AA and Hargrave all game. Some well timed blitzes should really get to Mahommes. I think the one difference if we were to face them again is that we have an offense that will generate more TDs than FGs and can hit the big play.

I hope we can break through dude. That would be stellar esp. given how much we've invested in the DL over the past 7 off seasons...gotta be the most $ and resources in history (once we pay Bosa).

I hope we can break through dude. That would be stellar esp. given how much we've invested in the DL over the past 7 off seasons...gotta be the most $ and resources in history (once we pay Bosa).

Definitely. I am not going to say I expect them to set records, but with the resources spent on D-line in particularly, and the money spent on defense overall, this needs to be another top-5 unit. I am really looking forward to seeing this D-line play. Bosa, AA, Hargrave, and Hyder who are all proven + hopeful leaps & contributions from Jackson, Davis, Ferrell and hopefully two rookies (locked in on Coburn and Harrison), I think our D-line can surpass the 2019 D-line with their ability to shut down the run and rush the passer.
Just look at the APY for the defensive players.

DE Bosa soon to be $35M a yr at least
DT Hargrave $21M
MLB Warner $19.045M
DT Armstead $17M
CB Ward $13.5M
WLB Greenlaw $8.2M

It's clear that they value building a defense, hopefully they can keep AA, Ward, & Dre after 2024 when their deals are up, which I see happening, saves like $28M if they do it before the new league year begins in March 2024.

Also Hufanga is due a new contract after 2023/2024 since he'll be in the final year of his deal next year, making a projected $4.901M thanks to the escalator he hit for making the Pro Bowl.

Offense wise.

WR Deebo $23.85M
LT Trent $21.01M
RB CMC $16M (Really like $12M a yr but his deal still stands at $16M a yr)
TE Kittle $15M

And Aiyuk will get a new deal in the $20M+ a yr range IMO.

DT Hargrave $21M
MLB Warner $19.045M
DT Armstead $17M
CB Ward $13.5M
WLB Greenlaw $8.2M

It's clear that they value building a defense, hopefully they can keep AA, Ward, & Dre after 2024 when their deals are up, which I see happening, saves like $28M if they do it before the new league year begins in March 2024.

Also Hufanga is due a new contract after 2023/2024 since he'll be in the final year of his deal next year, making a projected $4.901M thanks to the escalator he hit for making the Pro Bowl.

Offense wise.

WR Deebo $23.85M
LT Trent $21.01M
TE Kittle $15M

You truly believe we can hold onto all of guys at those numbers beyond 2024?

DT Hargrave $21M
MLB Warner $19.045M
DT Armstead $17M
CB Ward $13.5M
WLB Greenlaw $8.2M

Offense wise.

WR Deebo $23.85M
LT Trent $21.01M
TE Kittle $15M

You truly believe we can hold onto all of guys at those numbers beyond 2024?

Yes, I really do believe it, guys like Jauan will likely move on, we won't be able to afford him, we have him for 2 more years this year & 2024(RFA that yr), but yes, the cap will be $260M ish in 2024, $280M ish in 2025, and over $300M in 2026, so yeah I really do believe so, now let's hope we do this, and keep the core together.
Share 49ersWebzone