LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Hard to beat Eagles, Karma and the NFL ! When do we finally get a break

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
I don't know why we don't prioritize the OL more. When we get great pass protection the Shananan offense is almost impossible to stop, but we continue to try and get away with mediocrity at C, RG, and RT. We haven't had a RT make the Pro Bowl in 30 years.

We have a lot of areas we need to upgrade. OL being one of them for sure. Need a new C (or resign Brendel). I would like an upgrade at RT, but that'll be costly and hard. At RG I'm not sure what the plan is but I assume it is to let Burford continue on.

We also need a true 2nd TE behind Kittle (or in place when he's hurt). We need a legit DT presence and another DB or two to replace Ward/Gipson.

Going to be a lot of offseason moves but they should have some decent $ with the rookie QB deals.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
We have a lot of areas we need to upgrade. OL being one of them for sure. Need a new C (or resign Brendel). I would like an upgrade at RT, but that'll be costly and hard. At RG I'm not sure what the plan is but I assume it is to let Burford continue on.

We also need a true 2nd TE behind Kittle (or in place when he's hurt). We need a legit DT presence and another DB or two to replace Ward/Gipson.

Going to be a lot of offseason moves but they should have some decent $ with the rookie QB deals.

And with the resume of three NFCCG in four years and the number one defense and a top rushing attack we should be able to attract defensive talent as well as some help on the OL
these lazy scriptwriters need to come up with something new besides: "49ers season and superbowl hopes over due to injuries"
Yeah what pisses me off is we were relatively healthy all year long except for that fluke incident with Purdy . No doubt with Purdy we slam the door on the Eagles and are getting ready for a 2nd shot against the Chiefs.

Can we make it through next year without any season-ending injuries to our key players?????
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
49ers have 5 superbowl trophies. The football gods might be saying that's enough.

check this he got more rings than every NFL franchise
lord of the rings

They spelled Brock Purdy's name wrong.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
49ers have 5 superbowl trophies. The football gods might be saying that's enough.

Will not agree with that. As soon as this QB situation is worked out number 6 won't be far behind.

Agree 💯%. Brock is the 2nd comming of Drew Brees. He's even injured in his throwing arm like Drew. On top of that you have a potential Steve Young 2.0. Trey just need more experience.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I feel cheated.

And rightfully so. The team never had a chance in that game after BCB went down.

Yup.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I don't know why we don't prioritize the OL more. When we get great pass protection the Shananan offense is almost impossible to stop, but we continue to try and get away with mediocrity at C, RG, and RT. We haven't had a RT make the Pro Bowl in 30 years.

I'm hoping Brocks emergence as a passer changes this conversation.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Patton:
Never going to happen until they commit to protecting whoever the QB is.

Honestly, after thinking about it, only Jimmy's injury vs the Jets is the cause of bad protection. Jimmy's ACL injury was non-contact and happened on a scramble in 2018. Trey Lance's injury happened on a run. And Purdy's injury happened due to inexperience and there's no denying Purdy likes to hold onto the ball longer than he should. I can't really blame the TE (like I did a few days ago). But after realizing that Shanahan has did that for years, I'm not gonna say it was Shanahan's fault.

I still think Shanahan was too aggressive against a great defense against the pass. But that's just my opinion. I don't think we have a bad OLine, its just not as elite as the top four teams in the NFCCG. I think ShanaLynch will have to rethink the entire offense, not just the OLine this offseason considering the emergence of Brock.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Yeah what pisses me off is we were relatively healthy all year long except for that fluke incident with Purdy . No doubt with Purdy we slam the door on the Eagles and are getting ready for a 2nd shot against the Chiefs.

Can we make it through next year without any season-ending injuries to our key players?????

Agree 💯%, as NC always says in the injury thread, Kyle would have had three Superbowl rings now if his teams never suffered any injuries at all. Not saying that's realistic, but saying that's how good Kyle is as a coach.

Just not part of the script, smh…
Originally posted by Giedi:
I still think Shanahan was too aggressive against a great defense against the pass. But that's just my opinion. I don't think we have a bad OLine, its just not as elite as the top four teams in the NFCCG. I think ShanaLynch will have to rethink the entire offense, not just the OLine this offseason considering the emergence of Brock.

top 4 teams in the NFCCG? DO you mean in the championship games in general?

If so the 9ers O line is absolutely better than Cincinnati. Also the vaunted Chiefs O line was just as bad if not worse against Cincy than the 9ers were. Mahomes makes up for a lot of things.
Keep fielding good teams and a SB will come eventually.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

top 4 teams in the NFCCG? DO you mean in the championship games in general?

If so the 9ers O line is absolutely better than Cincinnati. Also the vaunted Chiefs O line was just as bad if not worse against Cincy than the 9ers were. Mahomes makes up for a lot of things.

49ers OLine isn't bad. But it's not the best either. McGlinchey is one weak spot. Need to get a pass protector there more than a run blocker. I think you get more bang for the buck there considering the emergence of Brock, if you do that.
49ers OLine isn't bad. But it's not the best either. McGlinchey is one weak spot. Need to get a pass protector there more than a run blocker. I think you get more bang for the buck there considering the emergence of Brock, if you do that.

This is an alternative bizarre idea but what if we leaned into the running even more. Tried to get 60/40 in favor of runs. Or 70/30. See how high we could get it. We could draft QBs not for their passing ability, but for their run traits. Get a bunch of QBs on roster who can run, and if any injury, next man up, 11 v 11 style football.
Share 49ersWebzone