LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Hard to beat Eagles, Karma and the NFL ! When do we finally get a break

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Never going to happen until they commit to protecting whoever the QB is.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I don't know why we don't prioritize the OL more. When we get great pass protection the Shananan offense is almost impossible to stop, but we continue to try and get away with mediocrity at C, RG, and RT. We haven't had a RT make the Pro Bowl in 30 years.

It's hard to have everything perfect. A lot of teams don't even have a Pro Bowl LT. We have it pretty good in some ways. Yeah some stuff could be improved. As with every team.
  • BP13
  • Veteran
gotta get better in the trenches. I always look back at that 2012 superbowl Oline. Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis. That was a badass group. This is where we need to get back to Bullying. Up front. Shore up both trenches.
Originally posted by BP22:
gotta get better in the trenches. I always look back at that 2012 superbowl Oline. Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis. That was a badass group. This is where we need to get back to Bullying. Up front. Shore up both trenches.

We don't have any high picks. We traded them all away. We also have to pay Bosa. So money is tight too.
It's nearly impossible to be strong at every position or even at every position group in the free agent salary cap era. If you're lucky you might have it for one year but if you win the SB everyone wants to get paid the next season. Roster turnover and coaching turnover are a fact of life in the NFL. It's really hard to keep an O line together for 4,5 or 6 years like teams used to do. It's also harder than ever to find quality linemen because many aren't playing the NFL style of football in college. That's why a top left tackle will get drafted early and paid a lot. Even a really good center or guard can get drafted high now because they're hard to find. Other than QB quality O linemen are the hardest guys to find.
Hope he gets ringworm...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
check this he got more rings than every NFL franchise
lord of the rings

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Patton:

Honestly, after thinking about it, only Jimmy's injury vs the Jets is the cause of bad protection. Jimmy's ACL injury was non-contact and happened on a scramble in 2018. Trey Lance's injury happened on a run. And Purdy's injury happened due to inexperience and there's no denying Purdy likes to hold onto the ball longer than he should. I can't really blame the TE (like I did a few days ago). But after realizing that Shanahan has did that for years, I'm not gonna say it was Shanahan's fault.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Honestly, after thinking about it, only Jimmy's injury vs the Jets is the cause of bad protection. Jimmy's ACL injury was non-contact and happened on a scramble in 2018. Trey Lance's injury happened on a run. And Purdy's injury happened due to inexperience and there's no denying Purdy likes to hold onto the ball longer than he should. I can't really blame the TE (like I did a few days ago). But after realizing that Shanahan has did that for years, I'm not gonna say it was Shanahan's fault.

lol Purdy's injury was not his fault. Give me a break. The playcall was a route that involved Aiyuk having to get open first, which he had to wait for. Kroft whiffed on his block. It was also a rare, fluke injury.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol Purdy's injury was not his fault. Give me a break. The playcall was a route that involved Aiyuk having to get open first, which he had to wait for. Kroft whiffed on his block. It was also a rare, fluke injury.

You could say he held onto the ball a little too long and/or could've climbed the pocket. And I agree it was a rare fluke injury, in that case shouldn't be Shanahan's fault either.
Meh gunna be a long off season

I wish someone would make one of those highlight videos of every time over the past 3 years the QB, whether that was Jimmy, Trey, or Brock Purdy, that shows how many times they got just destroyed by completely untouched rushers or unblocked rushers that just man handled MM or others across the line.

A lot of the time QBs had either little time or no time. Watching other teams, I can't give you an example of the same hits, sacks and physical shots other QBs took.

Jimmy has taken huge shots over and over, yet Kyle hasn't made protecting him the highest priority.
Hopefully after the debacle of this game, that will change.
[ Edited by Patton on Feb 4, 2023 at 1:59 PM ]

Jimmy this year thought he was Marshawn Lynch while in the grasp of a 300lb DL. Trey had his ankles rolled up by another 300 lb DL. Purdy ad you've said is a rookie and he didn't realize just how fast PHI DL were in NFL game speed and he took an unfortunate injury as a result
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I wish someone would make one of those highlight videos of every time over the past 3 years the QB, whether that was Jimmy, Trey, or Brock Purdy, that shows how many times they got just destroyed by completely untouched rushers or unblocked rushers that just man handled MM or others across the line.

A lot of the time QBs had either little time or no time. Watching other teams, I can't give you an example of the same hits, sacks and physical shots other QBs took.

Jimmy has taken huge shots over and over, yet Kyle hasn't made protecting him the highest priority.
Hopefully after the debacle of this game, that will change.

Sure Jimmy, Trey and Brock has taken huge shots, but Shanahan wasn't the reason they were injured.

Trent Williams traded for 3rd and 5th round picks

Laken Tomlinson traded for 5th round pick

Drafted Mike McGlinchey with the 9th overall pick

Signed Weston Richburg in free agency

Signed Alex Mack in free agency and made the Pro Bowl last season

Shanahan has addressed the O-line probably just as much or more than the D-line. How is that not making protecting the QB the highest priority???
we have everything but luck and ref's plan...
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I feel cheated.

yea i agree, and i feel incomplete
Share 49ersWebzone