There are 137 users in the forums

Week 18 vs Cardinals Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Whats been fascinating about Purdy is that you don't notice him a ton on most plays. What I mean is, there's not a glaring, "aw man you missed this read!" Sort of thing.

We're not asking him to do a ton, which is exactly what you want and he's taking every bit of extra we put on well and you can see the playbook expanding from his first start.

We've been able to limit the plays we're asking him to run without being overly repetitive and allow defenses to jump on things or ask him to run 25 different pass plays.

In all, he's shown very good poise, doing his job and the offense as a whole is rolling at the right time.

I guess a question I have, when we're projecting Brock Purdy as a long-term starter or not...
What is he not doing, that an "elite QB" would be doing in this offense? Because Shanahan seems to be doing a fantastic job of protecting him and allowing the skill position players to help carry the load.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Whats been fascinating about Purdy is that you don't notice him a ton on most plays. What I mean is, there's not a glaring, "aw man you missed this read!" Sort of thing.

We're not asking him to do a ton, which is exactly what you want and he's taking every bit of extra we put on well and you can see the playbook expanding from his first start.

We've been able to limit the plays we're asking him to run without being overly repetitive and allow defenses to jump on things or ask him to run 25 different pass plays.

In all, he's shown very good poise, doing his job and the offense as a whole is rolling at the right time.

I guess a question I have, when we're projecting Brock Purdy as a long-term starter or not...
What is he not doing, that an "elite QB" would be doing in this offense? Because Shanahan seems to be doing a fantastic job of protecting him and allowing the skill position players to help carry the load.

He's not being asked to make a bunch of tight window throws. There's nothing wrong with that. I think the way the offense is executing is as good as any football fan can ask for. For me, keep it rolling and don't change horses in the middle of the street.
Originally posted by Midbay:

Is the list of plays still smaller with Purdy than it was with Jimmy G?

edit: seems highly likely, but if true I'm curious as to how we are getting good/better production from a smaller set of plays.

So, a lot of that is getting CMC fully enmeshed in to the offense. Remember, the Saints game was only his 4th full week of prep with the team, basically the end of training camp and that was during a week in which they got back at 6 AM on Tuesday.

Kyle has been scheming his tail off too.

I was saying all year in my videos I felt like the offense was just a tick off here and there and if they put it together it was primed to take off like a rocket in December/January and well...here we are
Originally posted by Wubbie:

He's not being asked to make a bunch of tight window throws. There's nothing wrong with that. I think the way the offense is executing is as good as any football fan can ask for. For me, keep it rolling and don't change horses in the middle of the street.

The biggest thing I see from him and I hope he keeps it up is we're scoring touchdowns to get bigger leads when the opportunity is there and not throwing picks that kill drives or gives the other team a chance to comeback or make it closer than it should be.
He may not be getting asked to make tight window throws…but I've seen more then a couple that had me sit up straight in my chair and put my drink down.

good breakdown. made me feel a lil better
Originally posted by Mankster:
He may not be getting asked to make tight window throws…but I've seen more then a couple that had me sit up straight in my chair and put my drink down.

Oh for sure. What I said wasn't a knock - saying the moment hasn't had to be there. Of course, that's not always a bad thing. John Taylor was pretty open in the back of the end zone in 1988 and no one see's that as a knock on Joe. As long as we're rolling, I'm cool as a cucumber about it all.
  • thl408

Really liked the part about the SEA run game. The 49ers should win the DL vs OL matchup and control that side of the trenches.

SEA doesn't seem like a good tackling team due to their LBs. They give up a lot of YAC. I'd like to see the 49ers attack them since it'll be windy so the intermediate passing game might suffer on Saturday.
Jonny, do you have a score prediction?

It kind of blows my mind that Geno Smith has a tendency to lock onto his receivers so much. Makes you appreciate veteran QB's like Tom Brady, who are so good at manipulating the defense with their eyes. I think it's something fans don't really appreciate much, even though it can be a valuable skill for QB's.
Share 49ersWebzone