LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Week 18 vs Cardinals Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man, the days are long and too many irons in the fire but we got the review video out this week. I'm hoping to get a scouting video on the hawks out. Depends on how well I can function on very little sleep

.be
Thanks Jonny!

Man, lol, nice to see that that Purdy outside run was just a busted play and not actually a designed run. I was like, "did we call a QB keeper for Purdy?!" when I saw it.
Great breakdown!

It looks like we can run that 4x1 play all day

If they come light, just run over them strongside;
If they come heavy, they can't cover all our playmakers strongside;
If they crowd strongside, Ayuk will feast weakside.

They just can't cover everyone
Hey. As you looked at it.

Just a random player question, would isaiah simmons fit in the 49ers scheme?
Great breakdown as always JD!
The play design that I really like is the CMC jet motion, with Elijah Mitchell in the backfield. If I'm a defender---Is it a traditional handoff to Mitchell? Or is it going to CMC? Meanwhile, what are Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk doing?

I really like that concept, and it seemed to show up a number of times in the redzone. Hopefully they build off that in the playoffs.
Now i am thinking about jet motion Deebo after CMC does a jet motion into an offset I.
Basically taking a 4-1 look and with 2 jets converting it to a 2-3.

Seems a great way to force the defender you want to guard the target you want. Or get their cover corner on (say) Juszczyk.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Hey. As you looked at it.

Just a random player question, would isaiah simmons fit in the 49ers scheme?

Athletically, yes. Above the shoulders? No.
Now i am thinking about jet motion Deebo after CMC does a jet motion into an offset I.

Seems a great way to force the defender you want to guard the target you want. Or get their cover corner on (say) Juszczyk.

We do stuff like this a bunch. There's also a factor of matchups vs matching zones. For example, teams will want their WILL on CMC out of the backfield or in the slot if we're in 21 personnel. So we'll start with Juice in the backfield, CMC in the slot with thr strength to one side, shift CMC into the backfield then Juice. So, we change the strength of the formation and will sometimes use that to put their WILL in a Mike spot where then we can get a guard on him in the run game or vice versa for the passing game.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for Tigerlaw.
19 min mark you call Robert Smith "Bruce"

Not sure if you can do some post editing.

I remember Robert Smith in his prime with the Vikings. He was good...Roger Craig/Marshall faulk type RB.

He retired early (age 28) to pursue a career in medicine at the time.

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
19 min mark you call Robert Smith "Bruce"

Not sure if you can do some post editing.

I remember Robert Smith in his prime with the Vikings. He was good...Roger Craig/Marshall faulk type RB.

He retired early (age 28) to pursue a career in medicine at the time.

Yeqh post editing for that is pretty impossible. YT has an "edit" feature but it's garbage. I'd have to fix and re-upload which isn't an option.

I totally realized it when it went live. I was like, "dangit....not the DE....the RB!"
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

We do stuff like this a bunch. There's also a factor of matchups vs matching zones. For example, teams will want their WILL on CMC out of the backfield or in the slot if we're in 21 personnel. So we'll start with Juice in the backfield, CMC in the slot with thr strength to one side, shift CMC into the backfield then Juice. So, we change the strength of the formation and will sometimes use that to put their WILL in a Mike spot where then we can get a guard on him in the run game or vice versa for the passing game.

Kyle is getting creative out there with CMC and Deebo and using them interchangeably as WR or RB. Deebo in the backfield, getting matched up against a zone safety/LB. CMC lined up wide against a safety is a win for the 49ers.

How well would you say is Brock adjusting to the post snap rotations and presnap disguises? I think the MIA/TB games showed Brock is not scared of taking a hit to make a defense pay. So now teams are throwing disguises at him to make him think postsnap. As long as the pass pro holds up well, which I think it has for the most part, Brock is comfortable checking it down, and that's not a bad option when it's Deebo in the flat.
Thanks for the video Jonnydel! Your stuff is just exceptional.
Originally posted by thl408:

Kyle is getting creative out there with CMC and Deebo and using them interchangeably as WR or RB. Deebo in the backfield, getting matched up against a zone safety/LB. CMC lined up wide against a safety is a win for the 49ers.

How well would you say is Brock adjusting to the post snap rotations and presnap disguises? I think the MIA/TB games showed Brock is not scared of taking a hit to make a defense pay. So now teams are throwing disguises at him to make him think postsnap. As long as the pass pro holds up well, which I think it has for the most part, Brock is comfortable checking it down, and that's not a bad option when it's Deebo in the flat.

Whats been fascinating about Purdy is that you don't notice him a ton on most plays. What I mean is, there's not a glaring, "aw man you missed this read!" Sort of thing.

We're not asking him to do a ton, which is exactly what you want and he's taking every bit of extra we put on well and you can see the playbook expanding from his first start.

We've been able to limit the plays we're asking him to run without being overly repetitive and allow defenses to jump on things or ask him to run 25 different pass plays.

In all, he's shown very good poise, doing his job and the offense as a whole is rolling at the right time.
Whats been fascinating about Purdy is that you don't notice him a ton on most plays. What I mean is, there's not a glaring, "aw man you missed this read!" Sort of thing.

We're not asking him to do a ton, which is exactly what you want and he's taking every bit of extra we put on well and you can see the playbook expanding from his first start.

We've been able to limit the plays we're asking him to run without being overly repetitive and allow defenses to jump on things or ask him to run 25 different pass plays.

In all, he's shown very good poise, doing his job and the offense as a whole is rolling at the right time.

Is the list of plays still smaller with Purdy than it was with Jimmy G?

edit: seems highly likely, but if true I'm curious as to how we are getting good/better production from a smaller set of plays.
[ Edited by Midbay on Jan 12, 2023 at 1:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone