LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers @ Raiders Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So, this week will be a 2-parter. There was just a ton of offense and a ton of defense to cover. I put a poll out on twitter and the answer was resoundingly to do 2 videos this week.
So, the offense launches today and the defense will launch thursday.

I really enjoyed the way this video went down. I didn't go sequentially through the game, I went down some threads of Kyle using the first drive script and how that was a thread throughout the game. It was a lot more work but was really interesting to look at, from a chess match perspective.

Fantastic, Jonny, thank you! Love that you'll do a separate defensive break down, pun intended. I'd love your opinions on what the hell went wrong and if we have serious issues heading into the post-season.
Thank you for the breakdown as always!

Would you agree with the notion that Purdy continued to play pretty well with poise but juuust left a few potential big plays on the field?
Purdy seemed a little gun shy this game. When this kid screws up though, he's trading touchdowns for first downs.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Thank you for the breakdown as always!

Would you agree with the notion that Purdy continued to play pretty well with poise but juuust left a few potential big plays on the field?

I think that's a very fair assessment
Great stuff Jonnydel. Truly top notch analysis and very educational. Has the improved pass blocking allowed Kittle to leak out more? Seems that he was staying in more to help for much of the year but I could well be making that up.

While on the subject of pass blocking, it seems that the pressure is now typically coming almost instantly from a somewhat free rusher, or not at all as the line holds up well once engaged. Is this a wrong impression? I remember (?) more times earlier in the year when olinemen would attempt two half-blocks rather than a single good one and an entire side of the line would collapse rather than just having a single guy coming free. Better awareness on the line? Easier to commit to one block because they know Purdy can dodge a guy? Something else entirely?

Thanks again!!
  • All22
  • Veteran
Brock has very fluid spin turns, as we saw on the 360 throwaway, the opening RPO to Aiyuk last week, and the screen to Ray Ray this week. Kyle gets major respect for recognizing it and using it
[ Edited by All22 on Jan 4, 2023 at 10:10 AM ]
Nice breakdown, 😊 thanks.
Been a long time since I last posted - just wanted to say awesome job, jonnydel. Really liked how you showed the different ways Shanahan set up and attacked the defense as the game went on.
This thread doesn't show up on the main page yet. This bump is a shameless attempt to fix that.

As promised here is part 2 of the review: The defense - hopefully it doesn't get buried, but here it is:

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by jonnydel:
As promised here is part 2 of the review: The defense - hopefully it doesn't get buried, but here it is:

edit and add it to your original first post
  • thl408

Good take on the Waller TD. I thought it might be on Huf, but only because Lenior bit so badly on the run fake. Lenior needs to shake this game off because he'll get targeted with Mooney playing so well. Greenlaw's absence hurt on some pass plays so getting him back will be very important. He's critical in allowing them to play that Palms/Quarters where there is a lot of area for the three underneath defenders to cover.
I don't think this year's defense has as good a pass rush as 2021's, but their scheme and coverage players are better - when they are executing their coverage assignments correctly.
Is there a possibility of moving jimmy ward to the #2 corner if lenoir/womack do not pan out this year?
Originally posted by thl408:

Good take on the Waller TD. I thought it might be on Huf, but only because Lenior bit so badly on the run fake. Lenior needs to shake this game off because he'll get targeted with Mooney playing so well. Greenlaw's absence hurt on some pass plays so getting him back will be very important. He's critical in allowing them to play that Palms/Quarters where there is a lot of area for the three underneath defenders to cover.
I don't think this year's defense has as good a pass rush as 2021's, but their scheme and coverage players are better - when they are executing their coverage assignments correctly.

And this is why I been defending Hufanga so much in his thread from all the people trashing him. The All-22 is the only way to truly see defensive backs as both of you know; television view never tells the whole story. Thanks JD for your videos; breaking it into two was awesome but I know a whole lot of work 🤙🏾
Share 49ersWebzone