Originally posted by Crown:Can't and won't do it. Happy feet did indeed play panicked and I thank the football gods for bringing us Brock and ushering the career back up out of sf. How quickly we forget the frustration that was watching him choke. Regardless we have our qb now and the focus should be on him rather than history.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:Couldn't agree more. Jimmy was an above average QB who had his limitations. Nearly got us a Lombardi. Let the hate go. Those trashing him just sound like someone bitter after a hard breakup. Jimmy is a part of the reason why the Niners are where they are currently.
Originally posted by FL9r:
Joe Steve and Brock are in the elite class of 49er qbs. The rest were a mixture of good and average while others like Jimmy G were awful especially in the post season. He was either broken on the sideline or breaking our backs with sacks and ints.
Revisionist. He helped a losing team learn to win again. He was a good quarterback. There were a lot of fun games with him, after years of mediocrity and misery. Why can't people respect anymore?
I never cared for him during that time. (always thought he played panicked)
But looking back I could not agree more with you guys.
There are 354 users in the forums
QB Brock Purdy Thread
QB Brock Purdy Thread
Oct 6, 2026 at 8:37 AM
- FL9r
- Member
- Posts: 324
Oct 6, 2026 at 8:50 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,533
Originally posted by Montana:
It sucks we have so many WRs injured. And now Juice. Just hoping Deebo stays healthy.
Agree, but I'm hoping the young guys and eventually the rookie WR's step up. It does suck that there is injuries but its also an opportunity for the young guys. If done right, you might get another equivalent of a Purdy but on the WR squad.
I liked how Braden Willis did earlier in the year imitating Juszczyk in the run game. I think (in my opinion) they may have found Juszczyk's heir in Braden Willis. We'll see in the next game if that is true.
Oct 6, 2026 at 8:54 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,533
Originally posted by FL9r:
Joe Steve and Brock are in the elite class of 49er qbs. The rest were a mixture of good and average while others like Jimmy G were awful especially in the post season. He was either broken on the sideline or breaking our backs with sacks and ints.
You ain't seen nuttin' yet, wait till you see Kurtis Rourke plays.
But seriously Jimmy is still out there, and I'd trade Mac, and re-sign Jimmy as Purdy's backup going into the playoffs if a team gives us the right draft capital for Mac Jones.
Oct 6, 2026 at 9:00 AM
- 9ers4eva
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,852
Originally posted by Giedi:
You ain't seen nuttin' yet, wait till you see Kurtis Rourke plays.![]()
But seriously Jimmy is still out there, and I'd trade Mac, and re-sign Jimmy as Purdy's backup going into the playoffs if a team gives us the right draft capital for Mac Jones.
No thank you. Let Rourke be the backup in that case.
Oct 6, 2026 at 10:12 AM
- HearstFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,729
The game is slowing down for Purdy and he is playing super crafty and instinctual. Check out this level of subtlety to his game:
Broncos game - pass TD to Deebo on Brock scramble. I wondered why he didn't "see" Deebo earlier. But I think Purdy DID see Deebo early, and also saw the DE playing contain that could get in the way of a pass to Deebo.
The subtle stab step inside (fake inside) the DE on the scramble draws the DE inside - Opening the throw to Deebo. That is some amazing QB awareness.
Broncos game - pass TD to Deebo on Brock scramble. I wondered why he didn't "see" Deebo earlier. But I think Purdy DID see Deebo early, and also saw the DE playing contain that could get in the way of a pass to Deebo.
The subtle stab step inside (fake inside) the DE on the scramble draws the DE inside - Opening the throw to Deebo. That is some amazing QB awareness.
Oct 6, 2026 at 11:04 AM
- SB49er4life
- Member
- Posts: 48
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Two things can be true:
1. Jimmy took this franchise out of the gutter and into contention. He was 110% worth the trade and the contract. He played fairly well and had some very good games.
2. Jimmy was a worse QB than Purdy, he was absolutely abysmal in all the playoff games (including the ones we won), he couldn't stay consistently healthy, the team traded for Trey Lance for a reason, and he couldn't do anything once he left the team.
I appreciate everything Jimmy did for us. But moving on from him was the right move. We couldn't keep clinging on to "just good enough" in hopes of finally actually winning the Super Bowl just because we almost won it with him.
This is fair.
People forget, Jimmy had some very good games and clearly elevated the team higher than where it was before they had him. But he was also immobile and good for about 1-2 r****ded throws a game, some of which would result in INT's, some of which he got lucky and would be dropped.
I also think the torn ACL clearly affected him and he never quite recovered from it.
In spite of that HORRIBLE overthrow to a wide open Emmanuel Sanders in the Super Bowl, I don't put that L completely on him. The 49ers' D absolutely collapsed in the 4th quarter, and there was an inexcusable holding non-call on Bosa getting choke held on 4th & 19 (I think it was 19) late in the game that kept the Chiefs alive.
All in all, Jimmy was an above average QB where Brock is a HOF level talent (YES, I said "talent" - accuracy, pocket presence, escapability, poise, leadership are all "talents", only r****ded fans that don't understand football think the only "talents" are arm strength, size and 40 time).
Oct 6, 2026 at 11:28 AM
- eric_anthony
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,186
Originally posted by Giedi:You want Jimmy back?? What the hell 😂
You ain't seen nuttin' yet, wait till you see Kurtis Rourke plays.![]()
But seriously Jimmy is still out there, and I'd trade Mac, and re-sign Jimmy as Purdy's backup going into the playoffs if a team gives us the right draft capital for Mac Jones.
Oct 6, 2026 at 11:51 AM
- FL9r
- Member
- Posts: 324
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Giedi:
You ain't seen nuttin' yet, wait till you see Kurtis Rourke plays.![]()
But seriously Jimmy is still out there, and I'd trade Mac, and re-sign Jimmy as Purdy's backup going into the playoffs if a team gives us the right draft capital for Mac Jones.
No thank you. Let Rourke be the backup in that case.
Well said. No thanks. rourke over happy feet x10
Oct 6, 2026 at 12:02 PM
- libertyforever
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,499
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Two things can be true:
1. Jimmy took this franchise out of the gutter and into contention. He was 110% worth the trade and the contract. He played fairly well and had some very good games.
2. Jimmy was a worse QB than Purdy, he was absolutely abysmal in all the playoff games (including the ones we won), he couldn't stay consistently healthy, the team traded for Trey Lance for a reason, and he couldn't do anything once he left the team.
I appreciate everything Jimmy did for us. But moving on from him was the right move. We couldn't keep clinging on to "just good enough" in hopes of finally actually winning the Super Bowl just because we almost won it with him.
This is fair.
People forget, Jimmy had some very good games and clearly elevated the team higher than where it was before they had him. But he was also immobile and good for about 1-2 r****ded throws a game, some of which would result in INT's, some of which he got lucky and would be dropped.
I also think the torn ACL clearly affected him and he never quite recovered from it.
In spite of that HORRIBLE overthrow to a wide open Emmanuel Sanders in the Super Bowl, I don't put that L completely on him. The 49ers' D absolutely collapsed in the 4th quarter, and there was an inexcusable holding non-call on Bosa getting choke held on 4th & 19 (I think it was 19) late in the game that kept the Chiefs alive.
All in all, Jimmy was an above average QB where Brock is a HOF level talent (YES, I said "talent" - accuracy, pocket presence, escapability, poise, leadership are all "talents", only r****ded fans that don't understand football think the only "talents" are arm strength, size and 40 time).
You looked at his stats in the playoffs, it is ridiculously hard to win a Superbowl with him. You only get a chance with a super super team, the 2019 team was close, but ultimately not enough. When the difference at QB was playoff Jimmy G and super Mahomes it is hard to blame the Superbowl loss on Kyle.
Oct 6, 2026 at 12:17 PM
- 49erFaithful6
- Veteran
- Posts: 40,550
Originally posted by libertyforever:
You looked at his stats in the playoffs, it is ridiculously hard to win a Superbowl with him. You only get a chance with a super super team, the 2019 team was close, but ultimately not enough. When the difference at QB was playoff Jimmy G and super Mahomes it is hard to blame the Superbowl loss on Kyle.
jimmy played well in the bowl i think he was like 19/21 at one point, hard to do that on air, let alone a spags d, up 10 in the 4th should be a dub but we let in 21 points in the decisive quarter that's not good the problem there is our secondary was the weak link and faced a HOF HC, QB and WR and TE
Oct 6, 2026 at 12:30 PM
- SmokeyJoe
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,911
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
jimmy played well in the bowl i think he was like 19/21 at one point, hard to do that on air, let alone a spags d, up 10 in the 4th should be a dub but we let in 21 points in the decisive quarter that's not good the problem there is our secondary was the weak link and faced a HOF HC, QB and WR and TE
Yup. We're Super Bowl champs if only part of the game counts.
Would have bet everything I owned on the Chiefs if I knew we were only going to score 20 going in. As it was, I lost a nice chunk of money on the 49ers over 26.5 points.
Oct 6, 2026 at 12:39 PM
- Cosmo
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,427
Originally posted by HearstFan:
The game is slowing down for Purdy and he is playing super crafty and instinctual. Check out this level of subtlety to his game:
Broncos game - pass TD to Deebo on Brock scramble. I wondered why he didn't "see" Deebo earlier. But I think Purdy DID see Deebo early, and also saw the DE playing contain that could get in the way of a pass to Deebo.
The subtle stab step inside (fake inside) the DE on the scramble draws the DE inside - Opening the throw to Deebo. That is some amazing QB awareness.
The game has BEEN slow for him since his first snap in the league. I still feel that without the injury vs Philly we'd have won the SB that year.
Oct 6, 2026 at 12:43 PM
- SmokeyJoe
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,911
Originally posted by Cosmo:
The game has BEEN slow for him since his first snap in the league. I still feel that without the injury vs Philly we'd have won the SB that year.
I've said it many times, but I think that was our best team under Kyle. That Eagles team was a monster too though (and then of course the dynasty Chiefs were waiting in the SB). Football fans just got robbed of a great matchup.